Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amspielman

Faucet for rear-set drain

amspielman
10 years ago

I'm really liking the Kraus 30" undermount sink with the .75" radius corners and rear-set drain, but as I research faucets I'm a little concerned that having the spout lined up with the drain as it should be will have me reaching farther across the sink than is comfortable. I love the idea of a rear-set drain, but I don't want to end up with back trouble. Am I overthinking this? I'm curious what experience others with rear-set drains have had with this. Thank you!

Comments (13)

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Don't worry about lining up the faucet with the drain. I also thought this was a requirement until I read an article on splash. The article said splash occurs when the stream hits uneven surfaces such as the edges if the drain or the disposer flanges.
    The article recommended the stream hitting a couple inches in front of the drain to help clear the bowl of food.
    Mine doesn't line up and if I did it again I would have purchased the extended reach faucet for the reason you mention above.

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

I guess I don't understand the dilemma since no matter what kind of drain/faucet; you have to reach to the back of the sink anyway... no?

• amspielman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

remodelfla, I'll have to reach the back for the faucet handle, but when I'm standing there for long periods washing dishes or vegetables I'd Iike to be standing straight and not leaning over to get to the stream of water.

a2gemini, that's helpful to know about splash, thank you! I wonder if a bottom grid would be problematic.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Kohler claims that a sink grid helps the splash problem. I also read that here on another question about the faucet lining up with the drain. I won't know though until I have a working sink. My reno starts May 20th with completion scheduled mid June.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I have a rear-set drain with a faucet stream that hits in about the center of the sink ... no splashing. There was a recent thread about this ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Where to put faucet on sink with drain on the right?

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

This is our Krauss 30" sink set up.

There is no problem with splash. The water does land forward of the rear drain and is easy to reach.

• amspielman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jellytoast, thanks for the link to that thread, very helpful. And thanks suzzanesl for the picture! Can I ask what faucet you're using? If I can have the water hit in front of the drain and a grid will actually help me, then the only problem I have left is to choose a faucet!

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

BTW, using a grid on the bottom of the sink doesn't affect splashing one way or the other, not on my sink anyway.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

I didn't plan it this way, just got lucky I guess... I do like the way it lines up though and no splash!
    Silgranite Precis, and Grohe Bridgeford.

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

This is a Moen M7594C "Arbor" Pull-Out Spray Kitchen Faucet.

P.S. Turns out our sink is 32".

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

"I'd Iike to be standing straight and not leaning over to get to the stream of water. "

So get a faucet with a longer arm.

Faucets do not have to align with drains.

• amspielman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice, ctycdm!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

ct - way to even miss the flanges

I seldom use my grid but I think the grids are not as problematic as the edge of the drain but will have to check.