Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone remember thread that mentioned book about decisionchoices?

Posted by island (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 23:10

I know. This is very vague. I don;t even remember the thread title or what it was about exactly, other than the OP was feeling down about something. Others expressed agreement and or offered words of comfort and support.
Someone posted about how having more choices doesn't necessarily make us happy and can actually be stressful.

I'm paraphrasing BIG TIME here, so please forgive me, but they also mentioned a good book that delved into that. Does anyone remember the thread or the book?

As someone who's back and forth with a decision to expand or not, will it be worth it, worth the expense, change how I'll cook, live, etc? Just because I can afford it, should I? So I'd really like to check out that book.

I've only recently gotten my GW account working so that I can clip threads and receive emails and this is one I didn't capture. It doesn't seem that long ago, but I've pages back probably 50 pages and no threads rang a bell. The OP didn't mention the book, it was one of the contributors. it had a lot of posts so I'm hoping some one can direct me to it??

Thank you!

This post was edited by island on Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 23:12

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone remember thread that mentioned book about decisionchoi

I think this is the thread you are looking for (I searched for "satisficing")

Here is a link that might be useful: Choices thread

o

I certainly found the TED talk by Barry Schwartz worth the time to watch.

o

Thank you, that's it! I never would have found it by the title. Originally just skimmed it while out and planned to read it when I got home, but days went by and so did the thread. Definitely want to check out that book. Sounds like it would apply to more than just a kitchen redo.
Feel like I'm always weighing something or other and often think life was so much easier when I was a poor grad student when everything I owned fit in a car and decisions were more obvious.... for everything. Now too much stuff and too many options.
Thanks again for the link.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here