Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kadydid_gw

Would my kitchen be too dark if I gel stained my oak?

kadydid
13 years ago

I don't post a lot, but I do read these forums a lot and would really love some opinions on if I should gel stain my kitchen or not.

A few years ago I wanted to get new cabinets but my husband didn't want to replace them but we did get a few new items for our kitchen, like a new counter and new appliances. He didn't want to rip out the cabinets because we plan on moving in a few years and he didn't think he would get his money back in the resale. A few doors would need to be replaced if I just stayed with the regular golden oak color. Or I could just restain them all. I have tried staining a few things, and I am able to do it, I just can't do medium tones.

So what do you think? Should I go darker?

This is what has been happening. Why I need to do something.

Comments (15)

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Great job on those doors! They look much clearer than most gel stains. Maybe that's not the best term, I'm too tired to think of a better one. What color/brand is it?

But I think it's not a good match for your counters.

My cabinets are doing the same thing, finish wearing on edges, etc. and that is the main reason I'm going to refinish them.

• blfenton
    13 years ago

I can't tell from the pics (maybe my monitor) if your counters are green or grey. Bluey-green? From the first two pictures the cabinets look pretty red against the counters. Just an observation.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I like the dark. I do agree with Blfenton that the tone
    is red. Which color did you use?

I think your space is going to be fine with dark cabs.
    You have beautiful white subway tiles that will have an
    even bigger focus with darker cabs. In fact I think, you
    could go even darker. Don't be afraid. The light coming
    in from the large slider and the soft yellow cream color
    on the walls all had light to the space.

What color gel stain did you use? I am curious as I
    am on the fence about changing a bathroom to a dark stain
    myself.

Thanks,
    boxerpups

Here is what I am thinking.... Sorry Had to post a pic.
    I am thinking walnut for my old oak cabs.

• doraville
    13 years ago

If you are good at staining, then go for it. The darker doors look very nice.

• kadydid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The gel stain I used is General Finishes in Brown Mahogany. I didn't want to go Java and I didn't think the antique walnut was the right choice either.

The doors still need a few touch ups, I am not done with my latest project, so that might help the red problem a bit. I just couldn't resist putting them up against the counter to see if they would go! lol Thanks for the input!!

• kadydid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My counter is Corian Flint. Its Grey, no green.

I have another bathroom I was going to stain upstairs. Maybe I will do a test on the antique Walnut?? (from GF)

• bimmer88
    9 years ago

Love the way those look. A lot of the stained oak ones that I've seen don't look as smooth and consistent as yours. That's exactly the results I would like to achieve. How many coats did you have to do to get it that dark?? Also, how does your's look so cherry?? The General Finishes samples that I looked at for Brown Mahogany had no cherry in it whatsoever. Also, how long did you wait between applying each coat?? I'm just starting my own little project as well.. Would greatly appreciate any feedback you could give me.

• mrshanson1
    9 years ago

Did you ever think of painting your cabinets grey instead? Go on houzz to look at grey kitchens. It's just an idea.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Bimmer88- I'm not OP and I don't know if you will get a response from her since this thread is 3 years old but I used General Finishes rosewood stain to get a beautiful rich cherry color.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I tried using GF Brown Mahogany gel stain on an old oak desk. I had a problem when I applied the second coat and had to abandon that plan. Eventually I stripped the whole thing and used a different type of stain. Anyhoo...

GF Brown Mahogany is a gorgeous color, warm, but without a red cast. Perhaps it's just getting added by your lighting or camera. I don't see any problem with it and your counter.

• adgjqetuo
    9 years ago

Sorry to bring up an old post - i'm hoping the OP is still around - my wife and I are looking to refinish our cabinets using this gel stain. It appears your cabinets are the exact same color and construction as ours.

Our concern is even though the front fascia and doors appear to be real wood, the sides are laminate paper. Were your cabinets the same way? If so, did you notice a difference in finish color between the laminate and wood? How many coats did you apply?

I took an old bool shelf which is the same color as the sides of our cabinets with laminate paper over particle board and when I went to stain it with General Finishes brown mahogany, it came out way way lighter then your door picture above which I assume is real wood.

With the attached picture, each quarter in the test piece is a different sand paper grit. Top right is 600, Top Left is 400, Bottom left is 320 and bottom right is 150 grit. The more course, the darker it was we found.

I personally like the 400 grit sample, but i'm afraid the doors and fronts won't match once stained.

Hoping you can provide some advice!

This post was edited by adgjqetuo on Mon, Jan 12, 15 at 15:00

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I would post this in Home Decorating too. Sheesharee is a regular there and she's in the process of staining her oak cabinets, mahogany I think. I know she's spoken to customer service at GF several times and they've been very helpful.

• elcapocc
    9 years ago

I am almost done refinishing my golden, fake wood (laminate? :)) cabinets inside and out. I followed DIYMama's instructions and they came out great!

DIYMamas.blogspot.com

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I used Java gel stain on both the oak fronts and the fake laminate (not veneer) on the side. Since the laminate is smooth, there's no grain, obviously. Rather, it looks like painted. It's held up very well for two years now.