Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new_gardener_tx

Please review my kitchen

new_gardener_tx
11 years ago

So, we have gotten ourselves into an extreme fixer-upper. It barely has a functioning kitchen at this point. Here are rough drawings of the current floorplan of the two rooms we have to work with for the kitchen area using floorplanner.com. I don't have any elevation images, just bird's eye. I'm not looking for fine detail adjustments, just ideas on overall positioning of everything and floorplan itself.

Our house is considered historic, so we cannot move windows on it, but can make any internal changes we'd like. We are completely open to moving any interior walls load-bearing or not. Note though that on the left, we have a large brick fireplace which cannot be moved. We'd like to have a relatively open space, but are limited by the 19th century rowhouse-like design and the location of the fireplace (which has an independent foundation).

We are currently working on designs which keep the wet wall where it is, but if it makes sense to move the plumbing for a good design, it could be considered.

My main problems are that the walls are very broken up by doorways and near floor-to-ceiling windows, making it hard to create large continuous countertop surfaces. I'm struggling on where to even put a range or stove... I'd prefer to avoid putting it on an island, but I don't know what else to do. I am imagining the dishwasher immediately to the left of the sink.

Any advice is appreciated!

Comments (4)