Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Choosing Countertop Fabricator

Posted by happs (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 22:55

I spent a few days researching quartz countertop fabricators and finally narrowed the choice down to two, until the interior design company I am ordering kitchen cabinets from mentioned they also sell countertops. Their fabricator is undisclosed and their bid was very close in price to the fabricator that comes highly recommended. Would there be any advantage to dealing with the interior design company vs buying from a fabricator directly? I was surprised the bid was so price competitive considering there is an extra layer and the interior design company also needs to make a profit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Choosing Countertop Fabricator

Getting a third bid would give you a better picture regarding pricing. Have you seen the work of either fabricator? There have been enough "bad seam" posts on this forum recently to make me think twice about hiring an unknown.

o

I got seven bids from fabricators and countertop companies and narrowed it down to two before the interior design company mentioned they also sell countertops. I haven't seen any of these companies finished product.

o

Undisclosed fabricator is a red flag to me. I'd use the comparable bid for the company that comes highly recommended. I don't see any upside going with the interior design company for your countertop

o

"I haven't seen any of these companies finished product."

That is the most important deciding factor in selecting a company. How can you trust someone to come into your home and provide a good service and quality of job without looking at the finished product or getting referrals?

o

Interviewing doesn't mean jack without seeing their finished work. There's a lot of very skilled Larry Liars out there that interview very well but do their work with a garden hose in a shed somewhere and have no insurance if they drop it on your floor and smash it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here