Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susiequsie60_gw

'Bathroom' light fixture in kitchen?

SusieQusie60
13 years ago

Thinking...thinking....thinking.....

I'm currently obsessing about the lighting for my kitchen. Scouring the internet. I had a thought -

Would it be crazy to use a traditional "bathroom light fixture" over my window which is over my sink (instead of a pendant, which is what I was originally planning) My sink (should be a 33" saligranite I believe) has 2 double-hung windows over it (almost 5' total width of window). With my soffit coming out, I have some wall space above the window. I have no upper cabinets on the sink wall - just open shelves on each side of the window. Has anyone ever used a light like the one I am thinking about? Then I would get some matching pendants to go over my peninsula. What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom vanity fixture in kitchen?

Comments (13)

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I am not crazy about the idea. I'd rather see track lighting or 2 separate lights installed on the wall, 1 for each window.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

No, sorry, it would look like a bathroom light over a kitchen sink. I try to be flexible, and think outside the box...but that's not it.

• kbmboston
    13 years ago

I actually had the same thought, as my husband does not want a pendant hanging over his brand new window. At Lowes (gasp!) however, my husband found many track lighting ideas that aren't as modern.

We will probably go with one of these.

Here is the window with junction box over it.

• natschultz
    13 years ago

Actually, it would work, but you would NEED to purchase 2 units - one over the center of each window. The specs say it is 24" long, so each will go go over most of each window. Otherwise it is way too small and out of scale with just one.

I'm assuming the style fits the style of your kitchen. Do realize that is a rather odd finish - the only hardware that will go with that is oil rubbed bronze.

Are you sure they make a matching pendant? That will be impossible to match with any other line.

• Fori
    13 years ago

I'd try to find a downlight sconce type fixture that's a wee bit less bathroomy. That particular fixture does scream bathroom, but I think you could find another that isn't quite so traditionalpotty.

• melissastar
    13 years ago

I'm with Natschultz and those who say purchase one for above each window. But is there a reason why you feel you need more than a single lamp in each bracket over each window?
    You're really just talking about a wall bracket fixture. Although often classified as "bathroom" fixtures on web sites, there's nothing inherently bathroom about most of them. Multilight fixtures tend to be used more often in a bathroom, so may give more of that feel than a single light bracket. Take a look at some sights like Rejuvenation.com for ideas. You may not like their historic styles (or their prices) but you'll see plenty of uses for such wall bracket fixtures in non-bathroom settings.

• SusieQusie60
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to those who responded. Hubby definitely did not like the idea either. I so appreciate having this forum to throw these things out there!!!

We went shopping today and actually ordered pendants. I think I'm going to be very very happy with what we got:

Two will go over the sink; two over the island/peninsula and one in our bar/hutch. The way my kitchen is laid out, you're never really looking directly at more than 2 at a time, so I don't feel like it's going to be too much. I absolutely love the look of what we ordered.

Thanks again for your input!! SQ

• melissastar
    13 years ago

pretty!

• Kathy F
    13 years ago

SusieQusie - I really like that pendant. Could you please share who makes it and where you found it?

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I admire you. You seem to make decisions so easily and quickly. Batta-bing, batt a-bang. If only you could bottle a bit of that and send it my way.

Glad you changed your mind on the bathroom fixture. It screamed bathroom to me.

• SusieQusie60
    Original Author
    13 years ago

katkatf - It's Livex Lighting #6150-58 Manchester Mini Pendant. I got it at our local Capital Lighting, but you can find it lots of places on-line. The price has been comparable everywhere I've seen it. The real reason I chose it was because it came in a few different "forms" and sizes. Originally we ordered a larger pendant (15.5" diameter) for over our sink, but when we got home we realized that was way to big. I had also wanted one of the double island fixtures but because of our ceiling height (8') it would have hung too low. I'm very happy with what we eventually decided on.

breezygirl - if my husband read your comment about my decision making ability, he would literally fall on the floor laughing. I actually make decision with great difficulty and it takes me forever!! I have been anguishing over my lights and looking at pictures day after day and night after night. When I had the opportunity to shop with my hubby yesterday, and we were in the lighting store together, AND the builder was at the house gutting our breakfast room and telling me I had to let him now how many pendants I wanted and where, I knew I had to pull the trigger. I tend to feel better after I make the decision. I also left out the part about how I went back and forth once we got home whining to my husband about the size of the pendant we got for over the sink...I did have to call the salesperson and change what we actually ordered.

I think I'm trying to spare the very nice people on this forum my actual "crazy" when I'm trying to make a decision. I think it's kinda nice that I'm coming off as someone who can make a decision...it's sort of like an alter-ego!!! Just don't "admire" me too much - it's all a facade!!!

I'm glad I changed my mind on the bathroom fixture too :->

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

I was going to recommend sconces either side of sink--this offers less overhead glare and seems more welcoming sometimes but it's important to be able to see inside the sink so that factor has to override everything else.

We've put in five 100 watt pendants on dimmers--1 sink, 2 countertop flanking sink, 2 peninsula. Seemed screwy at first but we got confirmation from lighting designer at store. We switched them as 1 + 2 + 2 so they're often not all turned on simultaneously--makes for a lot of switch plates though. We also have two center ceiling lights and a hall light. None recessed. I dim much more often than DH does but I am sensitive to glare.

Am looking forward to seeing the result in your kitchen. It's a look that is hard to find documented in photos. We don't have any photos that include all 5 yet and am not sure how to make one. I'm only posting this because I wished I could find photos of "forests of pendants" when I was planning.

• SusieQusie60
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks florantha - I really do appreciate the photo. Very very pretty. I also like the "forest of pendants" description!!

I actually thought of sconces too, but I have open shelving going right up to the windows, so I knew that wouldn't work.

And yes - we plan to go with dimmers on all!!!! And we will "switch" them as 2 - 2 -1. Where are your other 2 located?

SQ