Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acgummad

Shiloh vs. Grabill cabinetry

acgummad
11 years ago

Hi all,

CKD sells both of these lines, but does a lot more in volume with Grabill and would clearly much prefer to sell us this line. Grabill is considerably more expensive than Shiloh, not just in base cost, but in things like, inset, and some distressing and glazing add-ons are upgrades on Grabill, where they're standard on Shiloh. At the end, the Shiloh bill would be much cheaper, I THINK, without sacrificing quality. I need cabinetry that's rather heavily distressed, as we are building a rustic Spanish kitchen. From what I've seen, Grabill's capabilities in finishing with heavy distressing and glazing is significantly better, but who knows....

Species: will probably go with Hickory because of durability and open-grain, which with painting, would look rather rustic.

Looking for any advice out there relative to these two brands.

Thanks!

Comments (27)

• acgummad
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bumping this...

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Heavy distressing and glazing is your main concern regarding the two cabinet lines. I cannot comment on that since I have Cherry and white painted Shiloh. I like the construction, they look like they are well built. I am very happy with the finish.
    I would try to do a search in google(garden web Shiloh distressed/glazed...) for any Shiloh buyers who used heavy distressing or maybe concentrate on that question in another thread if you do not receive many responses. The majority of posts I read about Shiloh were painted or stained without glazing or distressing but there might be a few who have done those...sorry I couldn't help.

• kompy
    11 years ago

They are both great. Shiloh is a nice semi-custom line. Grabill is a full custom line. Major difference is the finish and the price. Grabill is more like fine furniture...and you can expect near perfection.

I am a KD that sells Shiloh and my dad used to sell Grabill back in the 70s and 80's so I know them both. You really can't go wrong with either. It's just a matter of how much you want to pay and your expectations of quality and perfection.

I'm posting a picture of a kitchen I did for a client this past Fall. It was new construction but she built her house to look like it was built in the early 1900s. She went with Shiloh and used 4 different finishes! YES! 4. Actually 5 if you count her walk in pantry. It turned out beautifully.

Her Alder wood pieces and the black island were both distressed. The custom color gold paint had 'brushing marks' applied.

Here's a photo below. The distressed alder was gorgeous!!!

Kompy

• acgummad
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kompy, thank you so much for posting these. You can't imagine how helpful your responses were. The glazing options my CKD has shown me for Shiloh look like a toddler project from daycare compared to the Grabill. Not sure if he's showing me everything, but I was so unimpressed with the glazing options I had seen. Disappointed too, because knowing that these options (and I am getting inset, too) come standard for Shiloh, I would love to consider them more. CKD giving me no assurance in leaning toward that option because he so wants to sell me Grabill. :( Not against it, but the cost will be considerably higher because of up charges on top on higher base cost, and I wish my KD spent more energy helping me achieve the look I want, regardless of the brand.

Thanks again for posting these. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

OT--
    kompy-- how I wish I could have used you as my KD/dealer.

• Holly- Kay
    11 years ago

Me too kompy! I think if you were my kd I would be having a much nicer experience. What should be a fun project has turned into a gut wrenching experience and I don't think the value is going to be there. I would gladly pay my kd a bonus to get things done right but I can't even get him to return my call (it's been 4 days now).

• acgummad
    Original Author
    11 years ago

holly-kay, my KD isn't stepping up either. i'm almost sick. $100K kitchen, and he hasn't shown us one material, and cabinetry order is in 10 days. don't know what to do to engage him.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Holly-kay and acgummand--- I can beat you on bad experiences...
    Shiloh KD/dealer (only one near where I live so no choice) threatened me with a lawsuit(I have the incredible obnoxious letter ) after a customer cancelled their order. I had emailed this potential customer warning them of my experience with the KD, I did state in the email I am pleased with Shiloh. They cancelled their order based on their own experience and possibly mine(I mean one stranger would not change your mind unless you detect something is not right yourself). The dealer/KD held back approx. $500 worth of my materials until I got the rep involved. BTW, reps do not work for customers. I was told they are only liaisons between the manufacturer and dealer. If you get a bad dealer the rep does not have to do anything.
    This is why I wish Kompy had been my designer/dealer. You can hear the honesty in Kompy's posts. Also I have read Kompy's posts on professional dealer Q/A forums.

• Holly- Kay
    11 years ago

Ac I read your post and I totally understand. My kd got a sample to me very quickly because I already knew what I wanted in the cab design and what stain and glaze I wanted but since then it has been an uphill battle.

I was going to have an OTR micro but after reading issues here I asked to change to a vented hood. He pretty much blew me off so I decided to stay with that arrangement. I asked him for the number of pulls and knobe I needed because I didn't want to limit myself to the one brand that he offers. I have asked him three times with no response. I still want the vented hood so I called him on Monday to discuss changes and my call went to vm. He still hasn't called me back. I am giving him one more shot and then I am going to see what can be done to cancel. I am just heartsick over this.

Eatreal I sure hope you have your issue squared away. I don't want to cause trouble for the KD or the line he represents but I need some peace of mind.

• kompy
    11 years ago

Omigosh thank you all for your comments!

acgummad,
    I pulled the old paperwork. Here is what the kitchen's finishes actually are:

The yellow gold color (square flat panel doorstyle) was a custom color match to Sherwin Williams "Cupola Yellow" SW#7692. It had Cafe HIghlighting and Brushing techniques. No distressing.

The alder wood cabinets (Richmond doorstyle) had the Caramel stain with VanDyke Glazing. It also had distressing and wearing techniques (but NO sand through).

The black (Montgomery Maple doorstyle) had Black paint with distressing, wearing and sand-through techniques.

The pantry (not shown) was also Richmond door with Ivory paint and cafe highlights. It had distressing and wearing (no rub through). It also had brushing technique.

Kompy

Ps. I may have a glazed alder door sample that I can take a closeup picture of the glazing for you. I agree with you, I do not much care for the way the sample chips show the glazing...it looks really heavy. They did not look that way on this kitchen.

The brushing technique used to be free but is no longer. It is a really pretty and very subtle tehcnique. It gives slight brushmarks to a painted finish.

• kompy
    11 years ago

Here's the doorstyle:
    Manufacturer: Shiloh
    Door: Richmond Beaded Inset
    Wood: Alder
    Finish: Caramel
    Glaze: Van Dyke
    Techniques: wearing & distressing only (no rub thru)

I'll post one more even more close up.

Kompy

• kompy
    11 years ago

Super close up

• aries61
    11 years ago

I think the door style you posted is oxford not richmond. I've posted a picture of the richmond door taken from the Shiloh website. I think the only difference between the 2 doors is the center panel.

• aries61
    11 years ago

kompy: after closer looking, the doorstyle shown in the actual kitchen is richmond, but the sample door is oxford.

• kompy
    11 years ago

Good eye, Aries, You are right. Thanks....the sample IS Oxford. I was in a hurry this morning trying to post pics before my 12:30 appointment. :-) I stand corrected!

I think both are very nice....can't go wrong with either. I think I like the Richmond a little bit better though....I like the less curvy raised panel. You see the "bump" in the Oxford?

Kompy

• deedles
    11 years ago

What a great thread! Are the stiles on those Shiloh cabs thinner than standard? They don't look nearly as wide to me as some do....

Their alder is beautiful, that's for sure. I'm in the midst of deciding between Shiloh, Holiday and some local Amish cab makers.

Kompy: thank you for sharing so freely... so helpful for people dealing with this cabinet 'thing'. Seems to be so hard to navigate if the person you are dealing with isn't very helpful. I haven't had that problem in my neck of the woods but I haven't asked her for much other than samples and a couple estimates, either.

• aries61
    11 years ago

Kompy: I've looked at Shiloh cabinets enough that is why I noticed the door style. Several of their doors look so similar, unless you look closely you don't see the differences.

Not sure if you noticed the posting that I posted that asked you a few questions regarding Shiloh.

I'm in the same decision making process that deedles is in except I'm trying to decide between Shiloh, Crystal Keyline and some local Amish cabmakers. Shiloh is coming in the lowest and Crystal Keyline is the highest.

I have to decide soon since this process has been going on for two years already.

• acgummad
    Original Author
    11 years ago

WOW, kompy and 'team,' these responses are so, so helpful! The research associated with this decision is just daunting. Personal, but informed, POVs, are just so incredibly useful.

I do have to admit, that based on your pics, kompy, the Grabill distressing is really, truly furniture grade. We'll have to see how the prices come in. I would really love to have the Grabill. Hopefully, I can still afford to buy food to put in my kitchen after this whole mess!

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Thank you Kompy so much for the pictures as I am also almost ready to decide as soon as I finish another month of tax return extensions. Which white color did you post in the Shiloh Line since I had looked near the end of 2011 before my little dog died and the grieving was so intense that I put the decision off until the end of my tax season and then I has emergency surgery and then another tax season arrived. I love the Shiloh Line but I am open to other cabinets also when I have time to look. Which state are you located in? I am in NJ.

• kompy
    11 years ago

lynn, Someone else posted a photo of white door. Did I post another kitchen? I can't recall. I've only done one white kitchen since we took on the line. They got "Soft White".

I am in Ohio.
    KOMPY

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Thank you Kompy. I know I loved the Polar White and the Soft White and I was trying to decide. I do love the Shiloh beaded inset cabinets but I was not happy that three of my cabinets would still have the post inside the doors limiting the room inside due to the width of my cabinets. I would love to be able to open the cabinets and have a frameless space. These are considerations I have to still decide within a budget for my 12 X 14 kitchen space.

• aries61
    11 years ago

lynn2006: The white Shiloh Richmond door I posted is Polar with Slate Highlight .

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

aries61, I love the Polar with the Slate Highlight! Now I am wondering if I should have highlights as when I was looking I was going with the inset recessed door panel in Polar. I love the door style, color and the highlighting you posted. Thank you!

• aries61
    11 years ago

lynn2006: You're welcome. I took it off Shiloh's website. You should take a look at the photo gallery and door style gallery if you haven't already on there site.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

ac-sooo...did you order? Which did you choose? I just met with KD today to get a quote for Shiloh. I am pretty sure Grabill is just out of our league. The Shiloh came in at the very tip top of our budget - 9x15 kitchen - nearly all drawers. I gave them our budget right from the start and I think that's why no Grabill was quoted. I appreciate that since we need to stick to it but :(

Just curious what you ended up going with and if you have them installed now and your thoughts after 'living with them'.

Thanks.

Lisa

• kompy
    10 years ago

AC, did you ever get your kitchen done???