Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Does type of mineral oil matter on soapstone?

Posted by TexasPenny (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 22:48

This is a silly question....but are there different types of mineral oil? Our soapstone was just installed and DH had an 8oz bottle of mineral oil he'd purchased from a kitchen store for $5.99. We'd been using it on cutting boards and wooden utensils. I've used that for the first application of mineral oil. However, we found a 16oz bottle in the health & beauty section of the grocery store for less than $2.00. It's for the 'relief of occasional constipation' and says it's 99% mineral oil with the other 1% being a stabilizer. Will this work? Is this the 'mineral oil' everyone mentions? The fabricator that installed the slabs rarely does soapstone and did not have any suggestions. Please confirm exactly what people are purchasing for mineral oil. I know I'll be going through a lot of it in the first few months. We may do the dry wax, but I need to test that out first. Thanks!!


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Does type of mineral oil matter on soapstone?

Yes, that's the same stuff! ...been using it successfully on my maple butcher blocks for 30 years, and on my soapstone, and mesquite bar tops as well. ...never had a need to try it for the relief of constipation though


 o
RE: Does type of mineral oil matter on soapstone?

Thank you so much. $2.00 for 16oz is much better than $6 for 8oz. Shame on over-priced kitchen stores!


 o
RE: Does type of mineral oil matter on soapstone?

Reserve it for the counters, it isn't recommended for constipation anymore due to risk of aspiration.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here