Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Window: Casement vs. Double Hung

Carrie B
9 years ago

I'm planning a complete kitchen remodel, and hope to ad a window in the space with the horse picture/candleabra/bookshelf so that I can look out the window at the garden while sitting at the table.

While the kitchen will be completely redone, the kitchen table will remain largely where it is, as will the peninsula, with the addition of a sink roughly in the middle of the peninsula, looking out into the living room.

I will mostly look out the window while sitting in the kitchen chair, facing it, but also while I'm coming down the stairs, and also at the sink, if I turn my head to the left.

My KD emailed me tonight asking if I preferred casement or fixed. I responded that if fixed means I can't open it, well, I don't want that. I then also brought up double hung as a possibility.

What are pros and cons to a double hung vs. casement in this space? I know that casement will stick out into the garden when open, and that could be an issue in my little city garden. Other considerations? I know that both windows have pros/cons re: visual obstructions.

View from up the stairs:

View from living room:

Comments (17)

• ineffablespace
    9 years ago

A double hung is hard to close sometimes when reaching over a counter. A casement that cranks out is a bit easier when reaching, and opening and closing is about the same effort.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The window will not be over a counter - so that is not a consideration.

• chispa
    9 years ago

I much prefer double hung windows with screens on the outside. I hate all the dirt that accumulates on the inside frame and screen of casement windows. I've found double hung to be more maintenance free. Casements crank mechanism and handles have a good probability of failing at some point.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Double hungs (or single, for that matter) only open 1/2 size. Casements can open all the way. (So, sometimes casements are used as egress windows when a single or double hung wouldn't be large enough when fully open).

Casements can catch a breeze/wind.

Double hungs can tip in for easy cleaning of both sides of the glass from inside (with screens on the exterior).

Casements usually have the screen on the interior, so to clean the glass, you need to remove it and replace it. And, you'd likely need to clean the exterior of the glass from the exterior.

• thepeppermintleaf
    9 years ago

We got casements because they seal tighter when closed. But since you are only putting in 1 window that may not matter to you...

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, all. I'm leaning toward double hung for the reasons mentioned above - plus, that's what I have in the rest of the house, so the look would be consistent. My only hesitation is that there would be a less obstructed view of the garden with the casement.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Grew up with double hung and have casement windows now that are 26 years old.
    I like the open look that they create.
    So far, no crank failures(not sure if Eagle is made anymore)
    I think casement windows look more modern/contemporary and double hung more traditional.
    If the window is large, I would recommend casement over double hung

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

If double hung is what you have in the rest of the house then that is what I would go with.

• fouramblues
    9 years ago

Casement windows have changed. There are push out casements (no cranks) with integrated roll up screens that hide in the interior trim until you need them. We love ours. But I agree with debrak about consistency. We have a mix of double hung and casement, and it bothers me a little.

• crl_
    9 years ago

My 1926 house has a mix that is orginial to the house (love wavy glass). The living room, breakfast nook and dining room all have casement. The kitchen, bathroom and bedrooms have double hung (and the other bathroom has frosted glass slats that open and close). So I don't see casements as modern nor do I see a mix as necessarily a problem.

That said if the whole rest of your house has double hung, I would probably go with that. In my house there's a kind of logic to the differences--"public" spaces at the front of the house have casement, "private" spaces at the back have double hung. Just one different seems like it might stand out more in a not so great way.

• bpath
    9 years ago

I love casements, never had a fail, and had roll up inside screens (they have actually been around since the 1950s) BUT, in my current house, there is one (and only one) thing I like about my double-hung windows: they are true double-hungs, and I typically open them from the top, sliding the top window down. This means I can get a breeze, but it doesn't blow right across surfaces blowing stuff around (or the dust that accumulates at the bottom between screen and window). It's also easier ergonomically.

• Fori
    9 years ago

I have retro aluminum casements that open onto my patio. They're almost invisible when open. *smack*

If there is a walkway where the casement opens out to...well, it's something to consider if it will impede traffic or just hurt people. :)

• jackfre
    9 years ago

We remodeled and put double hungs on the first floor and casements upstairs for egress purposes. We do have casements over the kitchen sink. it is an 8'window with 4' fixed and 2' casement on either end. We like the arrangement, but those first floor casements right at head height are deadly when open. We haven't finished the landscaping outside that window, but at this point one of the prime design factors is window clearance. I have put posts out there temporarily so I don't kill anyone...like myself.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much, everyone. My house is a 200 yo brick rowhome - on an end, and my garden is mostly a side garden (I own the "empty" lot next door.) Where the window would be, is a brick patio in my garden, so chances are good that I'll be walking there, or gardening there - having a window would be dangerous for me - who doesn't always watch where I'm going!

• FamCook
    9 years ago

We just replaced all the windows in our remodel with double hung, except the bump out window at the main sink - that one is a casement. We ordered our casement large enough to have the grates put in the top so it actually doesn't look different than a double hung unless you are opening it.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Will you need to put in the window security do-dads in the new window?