Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyrgirl35

Ughh is this ok?

nyrgirl35
9 years ago

I'm getting a microwave speed oven and it opens up with a "pull down" door, is this ok and safe at this height? It will be about 54" from floor (bottom of oven). I'm just thinking of reaching in to take food out and burning my arm on door?

This post was edited by nyrgirl35 on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 22:46

Comments (19)

• eam44
    9 years ago

It's probably fine from a safety point of view, but really reconsider the otr micro if you can. It gives a dated look to a new kitchen, and the hood features are usually inadequate.

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's not an OTR micro/sped oven? It's a built in

This post was edited by nyrgirl35 on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 23:11

• andreak100
    9 years ago

It would be higher than what I would consider "comfortable", especially since I'm 5'3".

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

That seems high to me with the pull-down door. How big is the door when open?

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The height of appliance is almost 18".

What if I move it next to fridge, lower it to counter level, cabinets above, and all drawers below (1 continuous cabinet with no countertop) ?

• plllog
    9 years ago

Not good. Much better counter level, but not crowding the range. If that's the DW, that's fine. If the speed oven has accessories like the Advantium, put a drawer for them in the stack, at a convenient height. Right under the oven is great, but some people don't like that the door/handle is in the way of using the drawer right under while the oven door is open. A lot of people hate when it's the bottom drawer and never change out the trays because they don't want to bend and deal with them.

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Plllog so you like the idea of putting it next to fridge at counter level with drawers underneath ? And yes that's my dishwasher right there, my range is directly across from it on opposite wall.
    I was trying to look for pics with this set up but haven't seen any.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Not good...too hard to reach under normal circumstances. But with the pull down door, it will be even harder. I'm always afraid of spills too as I am not that tall. I had an aunt who was taking something hot out of the oven and it tipped on her...she ended up with burns all down her chest. Not fun.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Isn't a pull-down somewhat of an iffy thing?
    I mean, if it's high like that, you'll lean on the lowered door to get things. Probably also, no matter what the height, sliding things out onto the door.

Is the door that strong? I only do coffee, but some really cook in those things.

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok I agree just wanted to make sure before I make changes. So a continuos cabinet by fridge with MW/speed oven at counter height drawers under and cabinet above ?

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

I'm putting in a steam oven, not an Advantium, but I'm doing exactly what you're proposing, and I think it's going to work well. It's going into a stack, with the oven just above counter height, with a drawer and cabinet below, cabinet above.

I would not want an oven, especially with a pull down door, as high as your drawing.

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ahh mlweaving thanks for the visual it looks great.

• chisue
    9 years ago

I have a combo M/W and oven. The M/W has a drop down door. The M/W portion sits 43" above the floor. Slightly awkward for me (5' 6"). Too high for children.

• ott2
    9 years ago

I have a Wolf convect/steam oven which has the drop down door. The bottom edge of this oven is at 43". It's ok/fine. If I did over, I would put the bottom edge at 38-40". In a million years, would not go higher than the 43" I have! I am 5'3".

• Fori
    9 years ago

I like the stack it over drawers idea too. Just like a regular oven is often done. It's not common, nope, but that's why you're making your own kitchen--to do things YOUR way. (Or at least OUR way!)

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How about this?

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

As far as the microwave, the NKBA recommends the microwave be placed no higher than 3â below the users shoulder height. My microwave is just at that for me. I would not want it any higher, possibly lower.

• Amy Sumner
    9 years ago

Nyrgirl35, my Advantium is 54'' up. I am 5'8''. It is too high. I can use it just fine but no one shorter than I could. Also, reaching in to clean the back is very difficult. It is the one thing I would do differently if I could. Too late now. I can live with it and am not complaining, but hind sight... You know. Lower it.

• plllog
    9 years ago

NYrGirl35,

Sorry I don't have a better picture. I have my Advantium and warming drawer on the same plane as my fridge and freezer, with the Advantium at counter level, which is also waist level on me, and the drop down door is at its most convenient height. (Yes, I have side opening ovens, but the MW is drop down (though also an oven).) It crowds the corner a little. In the beginning there was a lot of sandwich making in that corner because it's convenient, but, as you know, people aren't fond of facing walls, so once the island being useful became habit, it was no great loss giving over the counter there to the ice cream freezer (or, no great loss considering what comes out of it...). It really works fine. The drawer between the Advantium and the warming drawer (the one with the bar handle matching the coolers) is my Advantium trays drawer, which also has room for potholders and an apron.