Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
will2kz_gw

check this out, what to do with a blind island corner

will2kz
11 years ago

I'll finish it with a butcher block top and get a shelf in there. It's on 5 casters and will be tucked under the granite counter. The idea is it will hold our china since we don't have a formal dining room. We host parties right in the kitchen on a big counter top table. We can roll it out and use it as a serving table. Can roll it over to dishwasher to load it back up when done....

Now the real trick is convincing the granite fabricator he can indeed find a way to support all that granite above it without a post to the floor....

Here is a link that might be useful: another angle

Comments (18)

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

You're going to need a LOT of welded steel to manage to support granite over that much of an outside corner and allow that to roll undeneath and clear. A steel cage would be about right. Angle and flat steel. And an expert welder.

• will2kz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

1/2 inch steel, and a welder all in the works. Also installing heavy steel corbels out the sides of both stationary cabinets. Will definitely post pics when done to add to the archives on GW.

The granite guy wants us to shave 1/2 inch off the top of this to make room. In the end wood cuts better than granite..... :)

• cathy725
    11 years ago

You have so many great ideas for your kitchen. I can't wait to see the final product!

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

Have you totaled up the weight of your dishes? You'll need mega casters to make sure they don't make runnels in your lovely floor when rolling about.

I have a 24-person service of bone china part of which we use for our everyday dishes, and just the "ordinary" stuff (dinner, luncheon and salad plates, soup plate and fruit bowl and tea cups w/saucers) weighs a startling amount. I had thought to store it in drawers, but the reality of the weight and the high cost of necessary extra-heavy duty sliders made me change my plans. Far easier (and cheaper) to beef up the shelves in my pantry than try to store it in drawers. The dish shelves are a full 5/4 thick, with short support intervals.

BTW, the picture thing is working just perfectly. I think you'll get excellent response. In former days we tried to avoid starting threads to conserve them, but now there are unlimited numbers, so feel free to post as many threads of your creative ideas as you'd like to share.

HTH

L.

• will2kz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good point on the weight. I suppose I will only put in as much as I can get away with :)

This will hold maybe 60 pounds of china. There are 5 wheels to spread the load, and the floors are maple, so fairly tough. The cabinet man thought about this as well when he chose the wheels and spacing.

So, yes, we thought through it, but we don't have a scientific way to test it until the time comes, much like the steel in the granite (although there are apparently calculators for load bearing and granite weights the granite guy is going to do).

• will2kz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Done! Here are a couple of pics.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Beautiful! What is your countertop? I'd love to see more pictures of this kitchen.

• kateskouros
    10 years ago

definitely an interesting idea. but it's going to require a lot of effort (more than i'd be willing to put in) to roll it around. 60 lbs of china, the weight of the butcher block and the steel ...oy, my back.

This post was edited by kateskouros on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 1:37

• fourfirstnames
    10 years ago

Great idea. Should be very useful as I had never thought this could be done same as with your sink. Lovely. Let us know how it is working out. Too heavy?

• Anne Harris
    10 years ago

What a cool idea! Thanks for sharing it.

• will2kz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nope, 5 wheels underneath, rolls by pulling with one hand, no more effort than opening a fridge door.
    I'm holding out on the rest of the kitchen picks as I'm not done with the backsplash and various last minute touches for final reveal.

This post was edited by will2kz on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 22:30

• will2kz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

underneath is a 3/8ths steel plate welded to corner brackets. This supports the granite overhang

• will2kz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

opened up

• chiefy
    10 years ago

What a neat idea! I love seeing the innovative things GW'ers come up with.

• ginny20
    10 years ago

Very clever, and beautiful, too. I love hidden features like that.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Cool! Thanks for posting.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I agree - clever! Now we need to see a KAW using your new toy! and your reveal. What a tease!!
    Beautiful looking kitchen!!

• will2kz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the link to the big thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen stadium photo dump