Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamadadapaige

Pictures of kitchen.. 85% done

mamadadapaige
15 years ago

hi all,

I intended on waiting 'til I was totally done before posting, but I just had the granite installed and LOVE it so wanted to post a few in progress pictures.

We still have three upper cabinets to be installed. The floors still need to be stained and finished. The appliances will get delivered when the floors are done. The tile still needs to be installed in the backsplash and we need some trim boards on the window (the granite extends 8" into a bumpout and butts up right against the windows so there will be some trim which will sit on top of the granite).

I am really happy so far with how things are shaping up. I went with many GWer's advice about Grothouse and got our butcherblock island top through them. It is even prettier in person and I am thrilled with it.

Thanks for looking!

[IMG]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/mamadadapaige/kitchen2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/mamadadapaige/kitchen3window.jpg[/IMG]

The granite I chose was a soapstone substitute. I had really wanted soapstone but chickened out in the end after seeing someone's post here on GW of ring marks above the dishwasher (too much patina for me!). This is a granite called Ocean Green honed.

[IMG]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/mamadadapaige/kitchen1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/mamadadapaige/kitchencloseupofgranite.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (43)

• mamadadapaige
    Original Author
    15 years ago

darn, the photos didn't come through. this is my first time posting photos. I will try again.

• mamadadapaige
    Original Author
    15 years ago

okay, I think I have it figured out. Here are the pics:

• ehs20815
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! you must tell us what that countertop is called. Is is green in real life? Looks lovely.

• mamadadapaige
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you! The granite is honed Ocean Green... it is meant to be a substitute for soapstone which had been my original desire but after visiting three different granite yards, I wasn't able to find any slabs without these dots all over them (looked sort of like leopard spots). Also, around the same time, I saw a pic of GW of rings on the countertop above the dishwasher (I guess from heat venting out of the top of the dishwasher). I haven't a clue where our dishwasher will vent and I don't mind the patina of soapstone, in fact quite like it, but the rings would have been too much for me. I saw this Ocean Green and just loved it. The floors will be stained medium to dark brown.

thanks again.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Really, really pretty! Congrats on your beautiful new kitchen. Can't wait to see it all come together. You will have to post again after the floors are done. Love, love it!

• muscat
    15 years ago

I think that granite is prettier than soapstone! It is amazing!!!!!

• ainsley
    15 years ago

Everything's just lovely. Tell me about your butcher block. It looks like end cut. Is it? What kind of wood? Also, it looks like you left generous aisle space between the island and counters: how many inches? Can you tell what stage I'm at?? Thanks. And I love the little happy dance your sweet baby is doing! A

• cheri127
    15 years ago

Your kitchen looks really lovely so far. Can't wait to see it finished. The little tyke's pretty cute too.

I LOVE your granite and butcher block. I want soapstone too but DH is worried about chipping around the sink. Is there much maintenance involved with honed ocean green? It looks fabulous.

Also, could you tell me which hood that is? Thanks.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I cannot blame you for wanting to post pictures! It is just beautiful and I think your child's dance totally sums it up. That granite is fascinating and the prettiest granite I've ever seen.

It is getting to be one gorgeous kitchen!

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

DITTO to everything everyone has said!!!! I think your little one seems just as excited as you! I, too love the honed granite and am so pleased to see it as that is what we want to do as well, so it's great to see what it might look like. Is your island higher than your other countertops? What is the height?
    Thanks for sharing. P.S. Beautiful view out your window, too!

• teched
    15 years ago

Can you let us in on your hardware? Details, girl, details!!!

• lily1342
    15 years ago

Your granite is gorgeous and really does look a lot like soapstone. Love the cabinets too. You're going to have a great kitchen!!!

• bethv
    15 years ago

Beautiful!!!! Love the honed granite! Excellent choice. Actually it's all fantastic! What a view!

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

Nice! I'm not a granite person but I realllly like that rock!

And I love your windows. Can't wait to see the All Done pix!

• oldhometara
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is turning out beautifully! That granite looks SO much like soapstone. I never saw that type when I was looking. It looks really really great. Hope you'll post more pix when it's done.

• teddas
    15 years ago

I must say I love the flush window to the counter top. Very sleek. Very nice work. Enjoy!

• karenyang
    15 years ago

Elegant and beautiful! Can you tell us what range hood that is? I've never seen one like it, and LOVE it!

• tinker_2006
    15 years ago

Oh so, so beautiful! Really looking fantastic!

• amck2
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is looking lovely. Your layout is very similar to mine, and it's interesting to see how special touches and tweaking personalize a similar space.

I really love your center window. It's a nice design feature that doesn't overpower the clean, crisp look you've got going.

No wonder the little one is doing the happy dance - Congratulations! Please post more pics as progress continues.

• bestyears
    15 years ago

Thought it was soapstone!!!! Very, very, very, VERY nice kitchen.

Lynn

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Gorgeous!

But you have have been overly optimistic thinking you're 85% done! :>) Maybe volume wise- but all that detail work is time-consuming. But then again, if you're not DIY,... :>) I look at everything in terms of how much time it's going to take DH and I to scope out materials, get everything ready, cut, paint, blah, blah blah...

Hope whoever stains your floors doesn't mark up your gorgeous cabinets!
    Love the look of that honed granite. I'm curious as to whether it will be any easier to upkeep than soapstone.

• mamadadapaige
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank You so much everyone!

I am glad you like the granite. I live in Massachusetts and shopped around at various places for Soapstone. When I went to Gerrity Stone in Woburn, one of the designers suggested the Ocean Green granite as a lower maintenance option. I'm not sure I would have come across it on my own.

The hardware on the cabinets came from the cabinet company which is Crown Point out of New Hampshire. It is the polished nickel cup pulls on the draws. On the upper cabinets I have the old fashioned latches (which you can't really see as the upper's have mostly not been installed yet). and then on the lower's just the little knobs. I think a company called Horton Brasses supplies Crown Point with their hardware.

The hood I purchased through Range Craft out of New Jersey. It was a bit of a gamble as I ordered without seeing anything but an image on their website. Here is a link to their site. They were decent to work with and the hood arrived as expected and was crated incredibly well (it took my contractor 20 minutes just to get the thing out of the crate). You can customize your hood anyway you want (copper, stainless, chrome, etc). Mine is called the Taconic... I really liked the Baroque too but that one was quite a bit more $$ due to all the curves.

http://www.rangecraft.com/

The butcherblock top is end grain brazilian cherry from Grothouse Lumber. I found out about it from fellow GWer's and couldn't have been happier with how the whole process worked out. Their turn around time is very quick and they were easy to work with. My architect did me a favor and placed the order for me which saved me about 25%.
    http://www.glumber.com/

I get a lot of sun in the kitchen window and I plan to have a herb garden for cooking purposes. I think it will be great to clip as I need cooking herbs. I would like to find some old antique planters or something with a little character for the herbs. I am excited to start cooking!!

I will be sure to post pictures when it is all done.

and yes, I think it might be wishful thinking to say 85% done. :)

Thanks again for all the compliments... it is very exciting to be almost through this!!!

• cpang74
    15 years ago

I am glad it's meant as a substitute for soapstone=b/c it looks just like it! It's really beautiful! Congrats!!!

• laiquatan
    15 years ago

I looked up Gerrity and they didn't list Ocean Green amongst their granites, and image searches with google didn't pull up granite that looked like yours. Is Gerrity the place that supplied it, or would you know other suppliers I could direct my fabricator (in KY) toward? Your counter looks and sounds very much like what we're looking for.

• hollylh
    15 years ago

Gorgeous!!! Every time I see Crown Point I just think they are the most beautiful cabs ever. I ahd looked at Rangecraft before I found my hood (from a friend) too--I LOVE the one you picked! And the granite is really lovely. Wonderful job so far!

Oh, also love your windows--love the diamond mullions. Are those new too?

Just curious: what is in your island? I am currently redesigning mine and trying to decide what to put there! Is that a MW cutout I see?

Again, great job!

• mamadadapaige
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi,
    Thank you!!

I noticed on Gerrity's site that they don't list the Ocean Green. Why don't you give them a call: 781.938.1820

They have hundreds, maybe thousands of slabs. It is an enormous operation and a very well thought of supplier/fabricator in this area.

hollylh... about my island. On the side that faces the sink (this side is 6' long), I have a 2' cabinet which is trash and recycling with a draw above (where I'll keep plastic baggies, saran wrap, foil, etc), then in the middle is the microwave cutout which will house the Sharp drawer microwave (the one in the pic was lent to me by my neighbor to help me get through the last part of this renovation with no kitchen), and below the microwave is an open shelf which I was considering using for baskets to store root vegetables (not sure if this is a good idea... in the old kitchen the root vegetables were always stored in the fridge but they would go sort of soggy on me), and then the last 2' section is another draw on top with a bread drawer below that and another storage drawer below that.

On the other side are two narrow cabinets with seating space for two in between.

A lot has happened since I posted the pictures... they put the crown molding on top of the cabinets and installed the rest of the uppers. The trim went on the windows and all of that has been painted...

Tile backsplash going in later this week... Hardwood floors will be sanded and finished next week and then after that appliances come in and then I think we are pretty well done. Can't wait!!

thanks again!!

• caroline94535
    15 years ago

Oh forget the kitchen; look at that little cutie-pie in the first photo. He's a sweetheart.

(Okay, the kitchen is very nice, too!) LOL

• pat813
    15 years ago

I love, love, love your granite countertop. My kitchen will have white cabs very similar to yours. I am in Tampa and am already trying to find Ocean Green here. So is 'honed' a less shiny finish? It looks so pretty!

My boss has Uba Tuba and says he will never have that again as he says the dark color shows everything. So I am concerned about the darker color for that reason. Is that a problem with yours?

I also love marble, and am seriously considering it. But we drink red wine here, and I am worried about stains if we have a spill. I am having a difficult time making the decision between the green granite and marble. Thoughts?

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Wow, what a great kitchen. Looking good!!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Mama,
    Can you show a pic of the front of your island w/ the microwave drawer and give the measurements of your island? We're designing our island now and strongly thinking about putting the Sharp drawer in. Thanks. Your honed Ocean Green granite is incredible and looks so great w/your cabinets. We live in NH so I'm going to look at where you got your granite. Just love your kitchen!

• mamadadapaige
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi Pat813,

funny you mention Uba Tuba... our kitchen that we pulled out had white cabinets with Uba Tuba (shiny, not honed) granite. I really liked the dark look and didn't find that the dark granite showed everything, however, I had a system for cleaning my countertops that left them spotless. I would use Windex (the Vinegar one which is better for use on Granite than the Windex containing Ammonia)... I would spray the windex on the counters. I would wet a papertowel and then wash the counters (so this produces sort of a very wet surface vs. using a dry papertowel). Then I would take a clean and dry kitchen towel and dry down the counters. This would leave the counters clean and streak free.

I am glad you like the Ocean Green. I wanted a lower sheen look this time around and the Ocean Green is much lighter than the Uba Tuba. Uba Tuba is much less expensive though so that is a consideration.

Pluckymama,
    I will take a picture of the island and post it... The Sharp draw hasn't been installed yet though. The one I have in their now was lent to me by my neighbor to get me through the renovation.

Also, since you are in New Hampshire, you might want to look at State Street Discount for your appliances. We got half of our stuff there and are only paying $50 for delivery and no tax, plus their prices were very good.

We ended up getting most of our stuff in New Hampshire, cabinets (crown point), floors (carlisle) and appliances at State Street.

I think you would be happy and find it worth the trip to look at Gerrity Stone but try to go during the week and/or make an appointment. They can be very busy on the weekends and you really want to be able to look around at the slabs in their warehouses with someone who isn't rushed.

Best of luck and thanks for the compliments (I love it, I have to admit!!).

• bungalowdawn
    15 years ago

So forgive me if I missed the answer in the post, but does this look green in person? Because the photos really don't look very green at all. It is really pretty.

And pat813, have you had any luck finding it in Tampa? I'm in Tampa Bay area as well so would be curious what you've found out. I'd love to see it in person.

• getitdone
    15 years ago

Count me as another who loves the honed ocean green. Funny I am headed to Gerrity Stone tomorrow (live west of Boston) so I will definitely check this one out. How has it been for maintenance (not sure if you are actually using the kitchen yet). I originally wanted honed absolye black but have been scared off. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Donna

• mythreeblondes
    15 years ago

Georgeous! I too am outside of Boston and about to start our renovation. I will definately visit Gerrity and look for that stone. I thought I would go with Jet Mist Honed, but am loving the look of yours. Thank you for the inspiration!

• User
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful kitchen! If I ever gut and redo, or start from scratch, it will look just like yours'----I hope! Great space planning, too.

• rivendell
    15 years ago

Beautiful and practical!

• sammydog2008
    15 years ago

I love your kitchen! I am using Ocean Green Marble (it's marble, not a granite according to my research) in my kitchen and would love to see updated pictures. Love your style.

• mbarstow
    15 years ago

Mamadadapaige -- regarding your Ocean Green honed granite . . now that you have had it for more than 6 months is there anything about it you don't like? I am ordering it this weekend, love the honed look, but don't want any more care than the polished. Any thoughts?

• thereddogruby
    14 years ago

I LOVE it! Could you tell us how you're liking it and honestly, does it even look green? It looks more greyish black in the pics, which is what I would prefer. I was looking at Virginia/Jet mist honed but I LOVE the veining in this.
    Can you PLEASE post some more pics??

• janetrogers63
    7 years ago

Love, love love your kitchen esp. the counters. I am looking for that granite in the Midwest. Could you tell me where you found it? It reminds me of Kirkstone and you can hardly find it in the states right now. (Kirkstone does etch, so thinking this would be more durable.) I might have to settle with Costa Esmerelda Granite, which is slightly greener.) Thanks, Janet

• nhbaskets
    7 years ago

Janet, welcome to GW! This post is from 2009 and it appears the OP hasn't posted in almost 2 years. Good luck with your search.

• janetrogers63
    7 years ago

Is there a way I could put out a generic request if anyone knows how to get this?

• nhbaskets
    7 years ago

If you read the OP comments, she's located in MA and the granite is called Ocean Green. I'd suggest Googling 'ocean green granite' and you may find a supplier in your area.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor