Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cplover

What type of window is behind your sink?

cplover
13 years ago

I am in the process of researching windows and would really like a window like Buehl and others where the window base is at the countertop. I was wondering does a certain style of window works best for this type of placement? My current kitchen has a casement windows flanking a stationary window and that seems to work well. Just wondering what other options work well. Feel free to throw out brands as well. I live outside of Chicago--so the windows need to deal with sun, rain, snow, freezing temps, etc. Also my house is a 1957 ranch if that helps anyone. TIA!

Comments (14)

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I have a 6' vinyl horizontal sliding window. The window is installed but the house is still studs.......))))sigh((((((

I decided to go with a more traditional look so I mounted the 3 windows in my kitchen a few inches above the counter.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Re-reading your post...my answer was not what you were asking. Sorry!

• happycook2
    13 years ago

We have a bay window - and I love it. It really brings the outside in, and lots of light. Doesn't seem to make it hotter or colder at all.

• juniork
    13 years ago

we put in a garden window, but now I wish I'd gone full bay window, since the garden window boxes don't go more than 3 1/2 ft standard height. It's definitely lower than every other window in the room, but good think I'm sort of short. I am so sick of re-caulking the backsplash in my current home, where there's about 4-6 inches height between the sink and the window. Just did it again today, for the 4th time in 8 years.
    The new place will definitely have one single piece of granite going into the window box...and I specifically told them NO SEAMS anywhere near that window!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Old kitchen had a drafty doublehung over sink--leverage/ergonomics was awful so I always hated raising the window. And the horiz mullion was at eyelevel, aargh. We wanted lots of openable windows and we're converting house to casements instead of doublehungs. We chose a pattern that seemed logical at the time--designer said that after a while the divider between the two new large crank-out casements over sink would disappear. Well that's like saying "Be sure to frame and display your second place prize ribbon." I would prefer a consolidated piece of glass centered on the sink.

See the two flanking casements either side of sink area? There's a matching one on your right, beyond the corner of the counter (these all match width with other windows on facade of house and are about as big as you'd want to crank open and shut--if they get wider you need to cut them in half and have two cranks). There's plenty of openable casements in the kitchen without the two over sink.

I would rather have a fixed large window with no screen and no cranks and no center mullion at the sink--easier to drape and to install the countertop and to generally deal with. (A bump-out into the facade of house would be even better but I lost that battle.) Look hard to see the sill-less bottom of window and bumped-forward sink area--yields just barely enough room for the plants I wanted to put at sink. You can see in photo what this space is like for med. plant containers or vases but you can't see the roman and honeycomb shades that will be installed there also. I love fresh flowers and I do a lot of flower arranging. It's been fun to have a vase of flowers behind sink but the mullion steals the effect away and sternly defines center so that things always need to feel centered, even more so than the way a faucet affects this feeling of needing symmetry. Obviously there is some satisfaction in putting two vases or pots back there, symmetrically.
    Ignore the vertical stick in photo--long story.

We very much enjoy the light that the total of 5 new casement windows gives us--much-needed light penetrates deep into the house. We are glad that we got as much space as we did behind the sink by bumping sink forward--even without plants it serves to keep the window more free of splashes. We probably should have made all the windows extend to the counter--puts cranks down lower and removes temptation to put junk on narrow sill.

Assuming I didn't have the additional openable windows, if I just had a single place for windows over sink I'd have a solid pane fixed one with two openables alongside it. OR I'd make a window bump-out toward street with openable shallow windows on side and fixed glass at front OR a greenhouse unit if the kitchen didn't face the street. (I don't even know if really narrow casements are available for sides of a bump-out--I'm just making this up.)

• billp1
    13 years ago

We replaced a double hung with a casement that cranks open and made the opening larger to get more light. Very happy with the change

• cplover
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Then I think I feel good about going with casements. Although, that depends on the price of a bay window. That would be awesome! Did anyone have any experience good or bad with different brands? I did some searching over on the window forum but not much going on there activity wise.

• littlesmokie
    13 years ago

Here's a similar thread in case you missed it...just more food for thought...

Here is a link that might be useful: Sink window- casement vs doublehung?

• Maureen Dimitri
    13 years ago

I am doing an awning window...48x48. It opens from the bottom out and has no mullion/divider so I am hoping for a nice clear view out to the backyard.Ours will be by Andersen Windows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Andersen awning window

• nucatgirl
    5 years ago

Those of you with casements and awning windows...does it bother you having the screen on the interior? Does it get dirty being behind the sink?

• Elizabeth Keough
    5 years ago
    we have a double hung window behind our sink. the screen doesn't get any more dirty than any other screened window in our house.
  • seosmp
    5 years ago

I have a 60” awning window, counter height and bumped out ~10”. The screen is fine.

• nucatgirl
    5 years ago

Thanks! I'm in the midwest so probably won't have the screen in year-round. What about a bottom-up shade for a window behind the sink? I just got a very pricey quote on a Pella with between the glass bottom-up shades. Is there an easy clean shade that could be put on a window?