Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doba_gw

Does a marble backsplash work w/ Cambria Torquay

Doba
10 years ago

Well, my demo started today. I am trying to decide what backsplash to use with the Cambria Torquay. My floors will be similar to the table color in the background (wood - golden oak) and BM Simply White for the cabs. I have glass, ceramic and marble options. If I went with the marble subway tile, I would use the herringbone for the area over the range and the 3 x 6 tiles everywhere else. I welcome your thoughts. I don't know if I should try to place real marble with a quartz top.

Comments (22)

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

I don't know. My fear is the real thing would just make it more apparent that the Torquay is not. Love the color scheme though.

• Doba
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know what you are saying, it just looked so elegant. Let me post another possibility or 2. I can always do the white subway look, but was trying to do something a little different. Do you think that if I went with a color, it should be ceramic instead of glass?

• Doba
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Or this one? Am I striking out here? If I didn't go with white, I would want colors in the blue green or beige/gray beige look.

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

I think a marbe BS would work with a plain quartz or one with a pattern that didn't mimic marble. I love Candice Olsen's style on HGTV and I think she's had some modern kitchens mixing both.
    But with the Torquay...
    Oooh I like both of those tiles. Love the color and gloss of the first and also love the color and mottled shading of the second. What are they? I think it just depends on the look you're going for. Modern? What style are your cabs?

• Doba
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I honestly don't know what the maker of the tiles are, but they are from Mosaic Tile. I would say the kitchen will be transitional. Full overlay white cabs similar to shaker, but not squared off. I SO appreciate your feedback. The marble looks beautiful, but I can see your point that I shouldn't try to match or compete with it. I should just find something complimentary. Okay, since I can't figure out how to post mutiple pics in one post I am posting another option. This one is Sonoma Tile Bossy Gray. May be too dark?

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Your cabs sound like what I want this time around...or think I want, but I'm just starting the process and still in the inspiration phase. I love the look of marble, but not the upkeep. I'm just starting to look at the quartz products like Torquay and I like it!

I like all your 3rd option too! I'm interested in seeing everything you find, but if I were you I'd wait until the cabs and countertops are installed before deciding. That seems to be what a lot of the GWers do. Is that an option for you?

Now you have me scanning Houzz for kitchens with Torquay! Interested in seeing what others are pairing with it! Have you found any inspiration pics or BS you like from there?

• Doba
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have so many Houzz inspiration photos. I have taken things that I liked and put them together. I am using a custom cabinet maker in Pennsylvania. Very excited to see how it turns out. Unfortunately, most of the Torquay people have used white subway. I am trying to do something different. I will definitely post my kitchen as it progresses. I lean towards ceramic sometimes as I worry that the glass may be too modern. Also, do you think the longer or smaller subway/glass tiles are better than the standard 3x6? As for waiting. I don't believe that I have that option. My contractor will be moving on to another project. I really need to make a decision this week if possible. Some of the tiles take a few weeks to get in.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Your Cambria Torquey is wonderful. I'm wondering if any of the Jeffrey Court tiles would work. The Huntington has just a touch of grey undertone, the others more pronounced in beige. My time will come on BS choices, so I hope this helps.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeffrey Court tiles

• Doba
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I am going to look into some of these options. Are you using Torquay as well? I have never heard of Emser. Not sure I can locate it locally, but will look around today. I used Jeffrey Court for my kids bathroom. I love their selections, but didn't see anything at the tile place I went to that found the marble. I think I will go check it out at another tile shop in the area and see what they have.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Your welcome, doba. I'm thinking about Caesarstone quartz countertop. Ran the usual gamut of choices, and quartz fits in so many ways. Keep us posted on your search. Cambria Torquey is so lovely.

• modern_mom35
    10 years ago

I love the look of the light blue glass tile. that would be so beautiful! we did a darker blue glass tile with Torquay and it turned out great. not the best picture, but you can get the idea:

• Doba
    Original Author
    10 years ago

modern_mom35, I love your backsplash. It looks like ceramic in the photo. What size are the tiles?

Sparklingwater, I know someone that used that quartz. It looks great. Are you using it with white cabs?

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Yes, neutral white cabs. Colonial home, trying to keep to a warm white kitchen rather than grey. Stumbling over myself solidifying choices though. But have a vision...

How did your tile search go? Thought of you when I saw this kitchen online today-has the hexagonal behind the range et al

"traditional kitchen design by san francisco architect Mahoney Architects & Interiors"

{{!gwi}}

• modern_mom35
    10 years ago

I believe our tiles are 1.5" x 4" -- something like that. they come in 12x12 sheets. it's called Solistone Mardi Gras. they are glass with some texture on the inside, smooth on the outside.

Here is a link that might be useful: Solistone Mardi Gras

• quelyn
    10 years ago

Oooh! Tough choices, all look good, but I think my fav is the bossy gray.

• Doba
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think that the counter top and backsplash have been the most difficult decisions to make through the whole process. I am going tile shopping again tomorrow. Let's see if I have any new samples to think about. Keep you posted....

• KellyOaks
    10 years ago

Doba,

Did you decide what backsplash to go with? I also have Torquay Quartz countertops in my kitchen and am having a hard time deciding on backsplash. Would love to see what you chose!

• bird2
    10 years ago

I realize this is a late posting, but just in case in might help anyone, we just finished our kitchen remodel and the backsplash we used with the torquay was a white staggered mosaic opaque glass tile. The tile ended up with a grayish edge after grout was applied (see photo of sheet of the tile). That surprised us but it worked since it complimented the Torquay. I looked at backsplash tiles for a year and a half, including marble subway tiles, but always had trouble trying to find the right shade of white. We're very happy with our results. BTW, those are 20+ year old pickled cabinets that I didn't want to give up!

This post was edited by bird2 on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 8:06

• jilltigs
    9 years ago

Bird2, I love your kitchen! I am having the same struggle with the Torquay and wondering what the brand/color of your mosiac is? Thanks!

• rebecasalzinger
    8 years ago

Has anyone tried mexican tile with Torquay?

• tanyaabraham
    6 years ago

Hi Doba. I realize this thread is now very old, but I'm in the process of choosing our kitchen finishes and am also considering Torquay as a countertop. Can you please tell me where you found your initial idea of the marble herringbone or who makes it? It's exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you!

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH