Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncamy_gw

Finished Kitchens Blog

ncamy
13 years ago

OK folks I think it's time to get it updated. Not that I don't LOVE looking at what's there, but I'm really ready to see some new kitchens. I'm embarrassed to say that I actually check it every day to see if anything new has been posted. We haven't had any new posts since last fall. I know that a lot of you have finished your kitchens so why aren't they posted yet? The FKB is such a great concise resource, let's not let it go to waste.

Comments (16)

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

ncamy,

have you looked in the Coming Soon section? That's where the most recent ones are, several from this year. I'm not sure how they get into the regular FKB, but I don't think individuals can put them there.

I do want to say a big thank you to starpooh for pulling this together and maintaining it. What a huge undertaking, and such an invaluable resource! I'm sure it requires a great deal of your time and it is much appreciated.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

From the "Read Me" thread...

When your kitchen is complete, please submit it to the Finished Kitchens Blog! This way your kitchen will join others in inspiring and helping newcomers!

Add your kitchen to the FKB!

Here is a link that might be useful: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!

• natenvalsmom
    13 years ago

I submitted my k!tchen just last week, so I don't expect to see it in the FKB anytime soon. I did as instructed, though: I posted it to the Gallery first. Unfortunately, very few people seem to look on the Gallery (3 responses in about a week!). In any case, to the OP, there are several fairly recent k!tchens posted on the Gallery forum (as directed in the FKB posting instructions), and I'm sure that those of us who have posted our kitchens there would appreciate some traffic and some comments. I have thought about cross-posting, but I don't want to be pushy, or there is always the possibility that people have visited and just chose not to comment, she says in a needy and insecure voice :(.

I noticed that many people post their k!tchens here, on On-Topic Discussions, and they get many views, but k!tchens seem to go unnoticed on the Gallery. Maybe someone can tell me what is the difference/purpose of the Gallery. I 'get' FKB and this forum, and even the other, off-topic one, but the Gallery seems to be underutilized or redundant, I'm not sure which! Thanks for any explanation.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Gallery?

What is this gallery you speak of? ;^)

I just visit here and look at the Finished Kitchens slideshow. Apparently I'm missin' out on some good stuff!

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

natenvalsmom, I would say redundant. It is confusing and a few people seem to post on-topic questions there, while most people post FK here and get many more responses. I do hope you saw the responses to your thread here about your gorgeous kitchen! : ) The archives only have about 30 pages and go back to what, 2005?

• natenvalsmom
    13 years ago

jsweenc - yes, I did see the responses to my "Finished Kitchen in Gallery?" post, and I appreciate your generous comments! Thank you so much.

• starpooh
    13 years ago

Hi ncamy!
    I am so sorry for the delay in adding kitchens to the FKB!
    As jsweenc pointed out, there's a backlog of finished kitchens (as seen in the Coming Soon section of the FKB). These kitchens were submitted to me by their owners as ready-for-the-FKB. So it's actually me that has held up those two dozen kitchens from being posted. When I posted a new kitchen last night I was astounded that it had been two months since the previous kitchen was posted. I've been busy with this-and-that but there's no excuse to be 2 months late. :-(
    Again please accept my apologies.. and I will be diligent about getting them posted in the next week.
    (But I am so glad that you use the FKB. It makes all this work worthwhile.)

And yes, the difference between the Discussions section and the Gallery section can be confusing.
    We originally used the Gallery section to post all finished kitchens; there is much less activity in the Gallery and posts do not scroll off as quickly as in the Discussions section. I had requested finished kitchens to be posted in the Gallery section because, unfortunately, a kitchen can scroll off the Discussions section before I can get it added to the FKB. It is also much easier for me to find a finished kitchen in the gallery. So that's my reasoning.
    In the future I will save the posts on my harddrive; so feel free to post in either section. But please either email me or submit the FKB Checklist to notify me that a kitchen is ready.

btw... I don't always see posts in the Discussions section (like this one) so please email me if you have any questions. starpooh@gmail.com
    Thanks!

• ncamy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh, I'm now embarrassed that I even brought it up. I thought people were just not submitting their kitchens. It didn't even occur to me that starpooh hadn't had time to post them. I applaud the BIG job that starpooh has undertaken and appreciate it greatly.

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Starpooh, as someone who has generously, creatively and tirelessly devoted yourself to building the Finished Kitchens Blog on a volunteer, unpaid basis for years, all I can say is THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!! In fact, "thank you" can't be said enough. And your lovely apology for not uploading new kitchens to the FKB fast enough is a wonderful testament to the great gal you are. We are so fortunate to have you in our community. Heck, the better question to be asked is: Is there is a way we can help you to provide your free service to us more easily? If so, please don't hesitate to tell us!

Many hugs!

• morgne
    13 years ago

Starpoh, I am ever grateful for your vigilance! You do a great job and while a delay is totally understandable I bet this is the kick in the pants you needed to get some more time in. ;) Sometimes the best of intentions are not enough! Lol.

Ncamy, I think you are probably right and that some people aren't remembering to get their information to Starpoh. I've seen ALOT of finished kitchens in the past couple of months. It's always good to have a reminder to get it together!

Natenvalsmom, I don't remember your kitchen! Did you eventually post a finished kitchen post? If you didn't I think you should. I don't check the gallery section at all because of the awkwardness of flipping back and forth.

• darrah
    13 years ago

Starpooh, I also want to send a big "thank you" for your hard work, it is so appreciated. I have yet to even begin my reno but looking at all these beautiful kitchens has given me so many wonderful ideas.

• natenvalsmom
    13 years ago

morgne: I posted my finished k!tchen to the Gallery, AND I asked a question last week on this, the Discussion forum, in a thread entitled: "Finished Kitchen in Gallery?"

There was a small, but very much appreciated, handful of responses to that question, and megpie77 kindly posted a link in that thread to my finished k!tchen, but my OP has since fallen to page 11 or 12, so it IS on this forum under that thread title. Please check it out and let me know what you think!

• Jbrig
    13 years ago

Echoing all the other appreciative comments to you, starpooh! And, please, do not feel you need to apologize that you have not had time to work on this FREE service you so graciously provide to all of us TKO'ers. Personally, I can't imagine how you find time to do *any* of it! Thanks again!

• morgne
    13 years ago

Natanvalsmom,

I went looking for it and found it!!! It was a huge difference. People just didn't see it the post as being a finished kitchen so may not have clicked! I guarantee you would have gotten more comments.

Beautiful change! Just great!

• starpooh
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for all the kind words!

ncamy - Don't be embarrassed...I'm truly thankful that you mentioned it!!! I never realized that members may be checking the FKB on a daily basis. You have reminded me the importance of timely updates. And, as morgne put it, I needed that "kick in the pants"! lol

To all - it would be very very helpful if, when you see a finished kitchen post, to ask the owner to post in the FKB. It's time-consuming for me to scan through the 60+ pages looking for finished kitchens. And I am also embarrassed to beg folks to add their kitchens (although some are quite appreciative). Not sure why some members don't want to include their kitchens.

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

You got it starpooh, we're on the job! So glad you came up with a way for us to help you. You shouldn't have to pester people. It's more than enough work for you to get them all posted on the FKB.

Mine's coming soon!