Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom23es_gw

Looking for pics of Kohler Whitehaven installed

Mom23Es
12 years ago

I've been searching a bunch, but I've only found 2 examples here on GW and google image search hasn't helped much either.

I think I'm chickening out on fireclay based on the horror stories I've been reading on GW- we aren't really gentle on anything in our house so a sink I have to "baby" isn't a good option. :-( Now I need to check our cast iron and stainless. I like the Whitehaven because of the offset drain, but I'm not sure about the "self-rimming" front. Will it look odd? Can you see a gap? Can you tell it's not a regular shaped apron sink?

Comments (24)

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    12 years ago

twn85- That's wonderful! It looks great so far! Thank you for sharing!!! I guess I'm wondering if it looks "regular shaped" because of the self-rimming feature. :)

• bwal2012
    12 years ago

twn85, Is that the 36" Whitehaven with the tall apron on the 36" Ikea base cabinet? I will be doing the same set-up for my kitchen. Have you figured out what you're doing about the doors below the apron? With the tall apron 24" doors that come with the cabinet won't fit. I was thinking of purchasing a set of 17-7/8 doors that come on one of the Ikea refrigerator cabinets. Would love to see some photos when you get more done. My cabinets come this Sat. so I will be starting soon!

• sserra85
    12 years ago

Bwal... yes it is! I was so nervous about making it happen, but it worked perfectly! We did use the 18 inch doors and added a bit of cover panel on top. The cabinet itself is done, I will take a pic tonight and post it.

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    12 years ago

just want to bump this thread to see if anyone else has pics and to see if twn85 will post an updated pic! :)

• discojones
    11 years ago

Can you tell me exactly which ikea cabinet was used for this Kohler sink?
    Was it the base cabinet with the cut out top already for the Ikea apron front sink?
    Or just a basic 36" cabinet?

We are looking to do the exact same sink and cabinet style for our kitchen, but want to make sure we're ordering the right pieces! It's great to find someone who has done it first. Looks great!

• sserra85
    11 years ago

Hi, Here is an updated pic.. The kitchen (still) isnt done, but its progressed a bit from the photo above. I will be changing out the filler soon, I bought another door to cut so it will match better.

discojones, there is no difference between a regular 36 and a sink base 36. It is the same exact cabinet, you just assemble it differently. The only door size that fits with this sink is the 18" tall door, not the 24" door which is used when installing the ikea overmount apron sink.

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

Here's mine (may look a little odd with the two 3-inch pull outs pulled out in this picture, but at least it's fairly close up.

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

I am curious why you both have that large space between the sink and the cabinet doors below. Is that a tall apron sink? In the showroom, it didn't look like the sink extended down beyond the tall apron.

• discojones
    11 years ago

Thanks for the update, both your kitchens look great. I didn't think there was a difference overall, but it's nice to make sure.
    It's such a beautiful sink, I'm glad it fits (and that I found someone who has done the work already to confirm it).

What did you both do for the filler piece? And which door are you buying to replace it?

• sserra85
    11 years ago

donaleen, are you referring to the ikea showroom? Their sink does not extend down as far, the whitehaven is too big for the 24" tall ikea doors. So we used the 18" doors with a cut piece of cover panel.

I have the Lidingo doors, so I will be cutting one of them and using the back side as a filler to better match the color of the door.

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

I think I just saw a picture of a kohler whitehaven sink installed in the thread started by 2littlefishes that says "bead or no bead". I would link for you -but I don't know how to do that on GW yet.
    She has a bunch of pictures of beaded and no bead cabinets. I recognized the sink because I have one sitting in my living room (uninstalled).

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's an "in progress" install. We decided to do a counter height window. The granite will extend into the sill so there will be a bit more room behind the faucet.

Lighting is horrible since we have no lights yet, and I can only go inside the house after all the kids are in bed. It's getting dark earlier and earlier. Hopefully I will get some better pics soon... Or maybe even pics with granite installed?!? :-)

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

Donaleen, here's a picture of the Schuler apron sink cabinet before the sink was installed. I believe this is the only apron sink base that Schuler offers. Do the drawers typically start right below the sink?

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

Forgot to say, my Whitehaven has the tall apron.

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

I have no idea what is typical. I asked because when we were in the showroom, we measured how far down the Whitehaven sink comes and it really only extends slightly over 9 inches. I am talking about any and all sink parts, except the drain in the back corner.

Our tentative plan is to install a drawer/pull out, probably to be used for holding recycling bins of some sort. We want to make that pullout start as high as possible.

John can custom build the cabinets to any size we decide on.

If there is some reason we need the filler that I don't understand, then I would probably want something "old kitchen" decorative, like people used to put in sink cabinets. I don't know what you call it. Maybe a cutout shape like the Six Feet Under kitchen... I loved that.

So, do I need the filler?

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

Here is what I hope to do with a pull out under the sink, more or less

Here is a link that might be useful: recycling pullout

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    11 years ago

FWIW- My sink pic is a couple of posts up. We have Medallion cabinets, same as Schuler. I'm pretty sure there was only one option for the farmhouse sink base. We have the tall apron. (Same setup as AbouttoGetDusty.)

Donaleen- very cool recycling pullout idea. Storage like that would be great. I already have a trash/recyle pullout in my kitchen, but it would be awesome to have a drawer like that beneath the sink. I don't think I'd be storing shredded wheat next to the ultrasol though. Gotta love how people stage things for pics. LOL.

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

It is a cool pullout, isn't it?

Here is the cupboard cutout I was talking about. It's used vertically in the cupboard door and horizontally in the sink area (you can only see part of it).

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are a couple more pics of my sink. I'm so excited about it. :-)

• discojones
    11 years ago

I thought I would jump in, and add a picture of our Whitehaven installed.
    We ended up buying the 30" tall sink, rather than the 36" because of the size of our kitchen and the layout of the window. As beautiful as it would have been to have the wider sink, it would have dwarfed our space, and it wouldn't have been centered under the window. But we are thrilled with the 30", and it looks fantastic.

The cabinet is Ikea's standard 30" base. Like mentioned above, we had to put on the 18" doors, which left the gap underneath. We filled this with a shallow drawer panel that was 30"x6". It had to be trimmed about 1" off the bottom, but that edge doesn't show. And the drawer panel matches the rest of the cabinet fronts, so it looks deliberate. Unfortunately, I don't think the 6" drawers come in a 36" width for the wider cabinet.

Our faucet is the Blanco Culina, which isn't represented well in this image

• discojones
    11 years ago

Here's an image of our installation setup. We had a horizontal brace across the tops of the vertical wood pieces so that the sink had something solid to rest on.

• discojones
    11 years ago

And here's a full image of the sink wall. We still have crown molding and trim to do for the cabinets and window, but it's basically done!

• Marie Frenkel
    8 years ago

Did anyone consider a small reveal on the whitehaven since kohler gives two options for their countertop template? Most I have seen only shows sink edge in front