Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buffalotina

Bertch Legacy Cabinetry - Quality, Style - Opinions please!

buffalotina
15 years ago

I am considering the Bertch Legacy line for at kitchen redo my 1927 house. Planning on the off-white painted look, shaker style doors, plain front drawers, to mimic old period cabinetry. I can't run to the expense of inset doors. I am favoring a contractor who works with a Bertch retailer/KD and it is all so complicated that I would like to work with them as I think they are very good and it would make such a difference to have a good contractor involved. But of course then I am limiting myself to Bertch. The Bertch website is pretty outdated - shows only a few pictures of what I think are pretty outdated kitchens in the Legacy line - or at least none that will suit me, and none at all in white/period style. I am wondering what opinions people of have of the construction quality, durability and range of style options available in the Bertch Legacy line. In particular I would welcome any feedback on the quality and durability of their painted finishes.

Thanks in advance for any opinions!

Tina

Comments (10)

• travisalfrey
    15 years ago

I am not aware of that brand but don't judge it by their website. I am a custom builder from NC that ships all over the US and I don't even have a web site yet- I am a little behind the times. Point is don't judge them by that or assume the ones that have fantastic pictures on the web are the best. Take a look at the quality in the showroom or jobsites. Touch them and feel them. Go to other stores- including custom shops and look and feel the differences and then decide.

Travis Alfrey Woodworking
    Pinehurst, NC

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    15 years ago

We ordered Bertch Legacy. Got the Lexington door in the eggshell paint. We had a couple places with showrooms here and what we saw we liked. I believe they use plywood ends, most places are an upgrade for that. We did have to pay extra for the full extension glides though. The cabinets should be her in a week or two, so I can let you know what I think then. The website is kind of outdated, but like the previous poster said, dont let it fool you. We wanted inset as well, but went with the full overlay shaker door instead b/c of cost.

• cabinetconsultant
    15 years ago

Hi Buffalotina,
    Bertch cabinets can be pretty pricey. Don't settle on what your contractor wants. They are usually getting some kind of kick back for using that specific cabinet company.
    It's your money, not his. I would definitely get at least 3 quotes, of course comparing apples to apples.
    A lot of cabinet manufacturers include full extension, soft close, dovetailed drawers now.
    Good Luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Cabinets Direct

• buffalotina
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the input. Yes, I will of course get an idea of pricing in alternate lines. I am considering Candlelight Cabinetry also which is local to my area (made about 15 miles away). Right now I am concerned about the quality/style choices of Bertch more than anything..will worry about pricing later.

twogirlsbigtrouble: Yes, please do post later on how you like the cabinets when you get them installed. Yes, the ends are plywood standard, as far as I know. Can you give me an idea of what you liked about the Bertch vs other lines? I think from some of your other posts we are going for a similar look in the kitchen. I agree inset doors would be the most desirable but I suspect will be going with full overlay shaker instead. So far the quote I got on a 36"drawer base, a 24" drawer base and a 9" spice pullout was very similar to the pricing of the Schuler line at Lowes. Thus I don't think the Bertch is pricing out particularly high, at least around here.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Tina

• acc0406
    14 years ago

I had bertch legacy installed last january. We choose birch wood with ebony stain in a shaker style (I can't remember the name). The price was higher but competative with a couple estimates with lowes. I liked the semi-custom option, which helped with a space that wasn't standard. I'm generally happy with them.

On the downside, there is a spot that is dinged up where I bump it with the coffee maker everyone morning. One drawer has fallen out. It was filled with heavy pans and bowls and was a simple fix of adding more screws. One one of the cabinets had the doors installed upside down, it was an easy fix by the contractor. Finally we choose hardware that was free/included. I swear it doesn't match. The finish is different on some of them. We sent them back and they still don't match. I think only I notice, but it annoys me.

Overall I would recommend, but I don't have a lot to compare it to.

• harriethomeowner
    14 years ago

We have them in oak. We've had them for nine years, and they are holding up pretty well.

• craigbass1976
    14 years ago

We sell them. They're comparable to Diamond Distinction (if you upgrade Diamond to plywood) Tim Carter (AsktheBuilder.com) and his daughter Meghan (AsktheDecorator.com) just got a set from us; read what he had to say; he was very happy. He doesn't mention the cabinets by name, but that's what they are. Birch Savannah with White stain. He's also got a picture of some of them (half installed) on his home page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Askthebuilder.com Newsletter

• novamarie
    9 years ago

Nova-A

• novamarie
    9 years ago

The worse experience I have ever had with semi custom cabinets at a whopping cost of 18,000.00. Failing hinges.. which are lifetime warranty.. Have they sent new ones.. or should I say the correct ones.. NO.. and this latest incident has been going on since Jan. 2015.

Doors warped… Have they sent new doors.. Yes Once, after waiting a month but it was done without the Glaze! I have another door that is warped. Matter of fact several doors came thru slightly warped and over the years.. have gotten worse.. IT WAS NOT A FAULT OF THIS HOME OR THE CONTRACTOR! GUARANTEED IT WAS NOT. I HAD TWO EXPERTS IN THIS FIELD VERIFY THAT FACT.

Did I want to resend that same door back to them for the Glaze! Why should I.. so they can send it back in worse condition than the original door! This company should close down.. I suggested they send me the brown glaze instead and I would glaze it myself! Oh, but if I DO THAT.. it will void their warranty.. This company is HORRIBLE.. DO NOT BUY A EVEN A SCREW FROM THEM!