Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trash pullouts--what did you use?

Posted by raee (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 22:26

I want to use 2 pullouts in the 30" cabinet, for trash, compost and recycling (2 bins on one side, one on the other). The bins don't have to be large, in fact most of the options that I've seen are too large. I think a 4 or 5 gallon bin will be big enough for trash and recycling, smaller for the composting. We don't generate a lot of trash.

Has anyone just used one of the Rev-a-shelf pullout baskets with their own bins, instead of the trash can pullouts?

I was sure that I saw trash pullouts at Ikea, too, but I sure can't find them on the website. Anyone have those?

What are other options? Oh, and which works better, making the door part of the pullout mechanism, or having a traditional door with the pullout separate?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trash pullouts--what did you use?

I can't speak to any of your first questions, but your last question I can answer: definitely make the door part of the pullout mechanism. I've had friends with kitchens where the door was separate from the pullout, and they both report that the two-step process is unbelievably annoying. This makes sense to me, given how often you open the trash in the kitchen every day, and especially since your hands are usually full of gunk when you're aiming for the trash. In my kitchen, I made sure to make it a one-step opening.

Hope someone else can help with the Rev-a-shelf and Ikea questions.

o
RE: trash pullouts--what did you use?

Thanks justmakeit! I was wondering if attaching the door to the pullout would make it too difficult to access the rest of the space between the pullouts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here