Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
molly_phillips5546059

How is your mother of pearl tile backsplash holding up?

Molly Phillips
11 years ago

I've seen pictures and have watched the most recent thread with tips on how to put it on. Based on the number of people who posted on that thread, it seems like a lot of GWs are choosing that for a backsplash. While it *may* be too much bling for my kitchen, I'm definitely intrigued by it - but the delicateness of it scares me. Is it a suitable backsplash for a hardworking (i.e. messy) family or should it really be something saved for pretty pictures?

(this post is written by a girl that loves marble but went with quartz)

Comments (12)

• williamsem
    11 years ago

I'm getting ready to order my MOP, hoping some people that recently installed it can share their experience so far.

• Molly Phillips
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bumping, and also asking williamsem - where are you ordering yours?

• williamsem
    11 years ago

I fell in love with the diamond shape and the only place I have found it is builderelements.com. If you spot it anywhere else in your search let me know!

Here is a link that might be useful: MOP diamonds

• luckymom
    11 years ago

Mine has been installed a whopping 2 weeks- but I'm intrigued- what is this cooking you speak of? I seem to have given that up since the remodel... honestly it would have been smarter to totally remove the kitchen, install an ice maker and beverage fridge and expand the living space. Take out is cheaper!

Anyway- so far, so good. DH actually cooked chili. Yep- splashing tomato sauce. And I've got a slide in induction, so there's nothing between the stove and the tile. No issue.

The tile I used was the super tiny stagged brick pattern- each tile is about 1/2"x 3/4" and MAYBE 1mm thick. We did have a pro install it. The walls have to be perfectly flat. Our installer spent half the 1st day smoothing the smooth coat that was installed. Even so, there are some spots I can see that are a tiny bit off. I can live with it- plus no one else looks as close as I do. I did have them use urethane grout. We plan to seal the tile- but the sealer says it can remove new grout, so we'll wait a month or 2. We should have done it before it was installed (lesson learned).

Do I love it as much as I thought I would- 1000 times yes. It sparkles all the time- now I just need the UC lights finished (hubby is taking his time...)- but the one area done looks great with the tile.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Lucky mom can you please post a pic, would love to see it. Thanks.

• Holly- Kay
    11 years ago

I am intrigued with this. I have always loved MOP. I was figuring no backslash for me unless it is paint or wallpaper but I may just have to reconsider. I love the hexagon tiles!

• kam76
    11 years ago

I have been considering it as well but was worried about its durability. Luckymom what color grout did you use and what sealer is recommended? Holly-Kay I love the hexagon tile too, have you been able to find any pictures of it installed?

• hostafan
    10 years ago

I also am considering installing it as an accent panel behind the stove. One of the tile sales people said to use epoxy grout which will not stain. Does anyone know anything about this? One tile installer said he doesn't like to use it. I am concerned about the grout staining with oil and greasy residue.

• Meg Hur
    6 years ago

I just bought 60 sq ft of MOP and I decided (fingers crossed) on an unsanded grout by Bostik call Starglass, with a sealer by Safecoat.... I am also going to try my hand at creating a quartz and pearl mosaic freehand backsplash let us see if I have talent or not lol!

• redecorate88
    6 years ago

Meg Hur Did you install your backsplash yet? If so, can you post pictures?

• Laura Mac
    6 years ago

Yes, everyone please post photos! I'm in love with MOP for a backsplash!