Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottdim_gw

Contemporary/Modern kitchen just about done!

scottdim
13 years ago

Its been a long road, we started our demo in mid December and are finally just about done. Still need to get some window treatments, a few little things here and there and clean, clean, clean. Its unbelievable how dirty the rest of the house got during this process. No matter how much tape and plastic you use, the dust still finds a way into everything!

Here are the before pictures. It was a small U-shaped kitchen in which the prior owners added onto. They added another row of shallow cabinets along the far wall. This was nice for additional storage, but didn't flow well with the kitchen since you had to leave the "U" to get to it.

BEFORE:

{{gwi:1825008}}

{{gwi:1825009}}

{{gwi:1825010}}

{{gwi:1825011}}

{{gwi:1825013}}

To make the kitchen more functional, we removed the U and turned it into an L-shape. This really opened up the room and helped everything flow together. The lower cabinets as shown in the first picture outside the U were brought out from 18 inches to 25 inches allowing more storage space. We also added a beverage center and a trash drawer. Everything was built custom (which turned out to be good and bad).

{{gwi:1825014}}

My wife wanted an island, but the kitchen was way too small for that so we ended up doing an island cart that tucks away at the end of the L as shown here

{{gwi:1824057}}

Cart easily slides out for use :)

{{gwi:1810245}}

More pics

{{gwi:1825015}}

{{gwi:1772371}}

Finally we added a pantry on this far wall which also holds our microwave. As you could see from the Before pics, we had an OTR microwave. Utilizing this wall gave us some much needed space after putting in the range hood!

{{gwi:1825016}}

It feels nice to be almost done!!

Click on the link below to see tons more pics including close ups of the backsplashes

Let me know what you think, good or bad :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished kitchen pics!

Comments (54)

• User
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Congratulations on finishing your project! Looks great!

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Wow really nice job!!! I am so jealous of you changing locations of sinks and such...very NICE.

• doraville
    13 years ago

Beautiful! I really like the microwave in the middle of the pantry. How clever!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Beautiful renovation! It looks like you doubled your space--at least!! I'm hoping I can do that with mine. Could you please give me details on your floor and sink/faucets? Thanks!

• plllog
    13 years ago

It looks great!! Much better layout. I especially like how you have the pulls on the ends of the cabinet doors instead of the middle. I've never seen that. Looks cool!

• tkingny
    13 years ago

Wow, what an amazing transformation! Your new kitchen looks great - enjoy!

• sw_in_austin
    13 years ago

Really gorgeous. I love those dark cabinets and that green backsplash is beautiful as well. Enjoy your lovely new space.

• sammiecanada
    13 years ago

Wow...I love what you have done, the kitchen looks wonderful! May I ask what the countertop is....I am going to be starting renovations in a couple of months and also have chosen dark cabinets and light countertop. Also, what is the under cabinet lighting? Is it called Juno? Thanks for any info...

• scottdim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the compliments everyone, Ill start from the top:

Appliances:
    Fridge - Samsung RFG297AARS - Been great so far, love the bright LED lighting, makes ice a little slow but no problems otherwise

Beverage Center - Electrolux - was on the fence about it at first since it takes up so much room in our small kitchen, but we LOVE it and our guests seem to like it as well (especially when it is filled with beer, go figure)

Dishwasher - Maytag - loving the drawer design so far

Range - Capital - I found this forum while searching for reviews on ranges and people here seemed to speak highly of Capital. They seemed to have some of the nicest 30 inch ranges for the money. You don't have too many options outside of a standard 4 burner configuration on a 30 inch so it was nice to get the 25k btu Wok burner in the middle. Have no complaints so far, build quality is top notch.

Range Hood - Kobe 30 inch RA9430 - Love the design, its very effective and has a super quiet setting which is almost completely silent. Also purchased based off the recommendations on this site.

Flooring - Crystal Valley Engineered natural Maple 1/2 inch thick.

Cabinets & Accessories
    Boxes - 3/4 inch plywood boxes with solid Maple hardwood doors.
    Cabinet hinges, slides & misc hardware - BLUM with Blumotion everywhere

Trash Pullout - Rev-A-Shelf 50qt pull out Waste Container with soft close

Blind Corner - Omega National KitchenMate Blind Corner Caddy (solid Maple) - Very nice unit, uses the space very effectively and you dont have to break your back searching for pots and pans!

Countertops -Quartz - Caesarstone in Desert Limestone (2200)

Backsplash:

On sink side wall: Hakatai - Bohemia Series - Mirage BH801 - we purchased this one first with the intention of getting some sort of metal to have just behind the Range. We purchased this due to how well it just tied everything together. The grout we used was matched to the countertop color.

On Range wall: Porcelanosa IMAX steel lined glass - This seems to be everyone's favorite when the see it in person. It is really stunning. We wanted something sort of high tech looking behind the range and this really sets it off. It is very reflective in the daylight, almost like a mirror.

Sink & Accessories:

Sink - Vigo Elongated Angular SS sink with bottom rack - single bowl - 10 inches deep, 16 gauge insulated. Wife loves this sink, nothing is too big for it. Picked it up on Overstock.com

Faucet - Blanco Meridian Semi-Professional in Satin Nickel - absolutely love this. The fit and finish is awesome.

Soap Dispenser - Blanco Meridian - Satin Nickel

Air Gap - Blanco Meridian - Satin Nickel - Unfortunately I didn't read all the literature on this site about not putting in an air gap until it was too late... :/

Cold water faucet - Brasstech in Satin Nickel - hooked up to reverse osmosis system

Lighting:

Pendants over sink - Access Lighting

Pendants over kitchen table - Access Lighting

Pendants running MR-16 LED bulbs from http://www.divvali.net/ - cool white over sink 6 watts each, warm white over kitchen table 9 watts each.

Undercounter lights - Environmental lights LED light bars in natural white. - these were fairly easy to install and the light output is awesome. They are dimmable as well if you purchase the dimming controls.

Decorative shelf lights - Pegasus lighting LED bullet lights - these are not dimmable in case anyone is wondering.

Please see the link below to check out the Construction photos. I left comments on many of the photos detailing what was going on.

@storklady There were some ups and downs with doing everything custom. We got to pretty much draw things up just the way we wanted it which was nice, but on a few occasions, the finished product did not turn out exactly as planned due to a combination of either errors in the design or in the execution. As anyone who has done a remodel knows, its a process and you don't always get it right the first time. We definitely learned a lot thats for sure.

Let me know if you want more info or if I left anything out :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Construction photos!

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

Wow - your kitchen is beautiful! It's such an improvement. I love both of your backsplashes. The lights are really cool. You did a great design.

• theanimala
    13 years ago

I'm very partial to modern style kitchens. I LOVE what you've done here. It all looks so great together, congrats!

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. We're finishing up a modern kitchen as well, and it is a challenge to make a space warm and modern at the same time. You have accomplished it!

• scottdim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Funny thing about the backsplashes...we originally planned to have the Hakatai tile all around and then just have the Porcelanosa in the center where the range was. As luck would have it, we started installing and realized we were going to come up short with the amount of Hakatai tile we had. Rather than order some more and wait, we realized we were going to have a lot of the Porcelanosa tile left over so we decided to cover that entire wall. Funny how things work out, I think it probably looks better like this versus how we originally intended it!

• amykath
    13 years ago

WOW! That is gorgeous! I love all the neat character. The backsplash behind the range and under the cabs is amazing. It all goes pefrectly with your sleek counters. I love your rolling cart with the glass top and the undercounter fridge.

Well done!!!

• sammiecanada
    13 years ago

Thanks for putting all that extra information in...appreciate it...I am excited about our renovation but scared too! When I look at the finished photos like you put up I calm down.

• madamg2u
    13 years ago

Wow just beautiful. Thanks for adding thre extra info.
    MadamG2U

• swspitfire
    13 years ago

Your planning was well worth it- beautiful and functionnal transformation.
    Enjoy!

• homey_bird
    13 years ago

WOW! What a beautiful transformation!! I love it. Everything looks so good together!!

Congratulations.

• mom2reese
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! I like your island solution, too!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Thank you for posting all the detail information--great help to those of us just setting out on this adventure!

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

Your new kitchen is beautiful! Love the new layout, it really opens the space up. It's also exciting and helpful for me to see because we're in the beginning stages of our kitchen renovation planning and we too are rearranging the kitchen into a long L shape.

Your beverage center is lovely :) Is that a bottle of Newcastle I see up top? Love that stuff. We unfortunately do not have the space for a Bev.Center. Wish we could have one! May need to look into that possibility again.

Love your new range and hood and backsplash. Our new kitchen will be the exact reverse of yours, colorwise. We're going light Maple cabs with brown quartz countertops. Not sure about the backsplash and floors yet but I want glass somewhere in the backsplash. We shall see.

Congratulations!! Thanks for the pics and info!!

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

W O W! Your kitchen went from granny to gorgeous. It's well done and very well thought out.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Wowzers! That is a complete and total transformation--it doesn't even look like the same space. I love how you have it so sleek and contemporary, yet it is still very rich and warm. Sometimes clean and contemporary can read kind of cold or sterile, but yours definitely does not at all! Just beautiful!

Congratulations!

• scottdim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the comments!

@hellonasty Yes that is a lone bottle of Newcastle amongst Heineken Lights and my son's chocolate milk lol!

Take a look at some different models and brands for beverage centers. I know they make smaller ones about 18 inches wide that may suit your needs better. We chose the Electrolux due to the size, overall look and the build quality.

Good luck with your renovation work! Im glad to be able to help people out. I got many of my ideas while browsing the finished kitchens blog and it was always helpful when more details were listed.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

That's a really huge transformation. I absolutely adore your backsplash choices. And that you are in the pics! Fun. Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy!

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. It's a pleasure to see.

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Don't mind me. I'm just another voice in a very big chorus that is singing the "you done good" song! Very nice work!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I don't have much to add, but you have done an amazing job. It's just gorgeous and the combination of backsplashes really make it special. The layout is SO MUCH improved and must be a wonderful pleasure to work in after what you had before. Enjoy, enjoy!!

• bluestarrgallery
    13 years ago

Beautiful job, and beautiful kitchen, I love all the details and thought you have put into this kitchen, I know it was a lot of work (having done one before myself), so glad you posted as you have given me some hope for my current kitchen. Thanks.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Don't know what I can add except--kudos on a beautiful transformation!!!!

• zeebee
    13 years ago

Wow! Hard to believe it is the same space. I love the backsplashes, the sink/faucets, the lighting, the cabinet color....well, everything! Congratulations on a job well done.

• PoorOwner
    13 years ago

This is a beautiful remodel!
    I especially want to ask about the Pegasus bullet lights, how is the color (is it warm?) and does is it decently bright?

• scottdim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@poorowner they are definitely good for the purpose which we purchased them for, which is display lighting. The description on the website is bright white, but they are definitely more of a warm white. The color temp is 3100k according to the website. Their footprint is about the size of a quarter so you could always add more bulbs if need. They are a little on the expensive side though so if I really needed more light I probably would have gone a different direction.

there may be more pictures of them somewhere in my gallery, if not, let me know and Ill post some.

HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: Pegasus Associates LED Bullet lights

• lzydogrnch
    13 years ago

Who made the cabinets? We're doing the same but have had a hard time staining them! Great Job!

• scottdim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@lzydogrnch We had our local cabinet guy build, stain and install the boxes. We did the designs and purchased all the hardware. If you are in Southern California, shoot me an email and I can get you in touch with him if you need assistance with your project.

• lindalp
    13 years ago

What an amazing transformation! LOVE it!

• Maria410
    13 years ago

I love the dark wood cabinets!! and your solution for the microwave is brilliant!! It looks like a warm and inviting space.

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

This is a gorgeous transformation - I love everything you've done (and that roll away island is terrific). Enjoy your beautiful new kitchen!

Eliz

• three_daisies
    13 years ago

Really nice - even though my kitchen is more traditional, I really enjoy seeing beautiful modern kitchens like yours. If someone gave me your kitchen to live in, I'd be thrilled! It's so sleek and well done. The tile work is wonderful.

Enjoy your new space.

• sclee
    13 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!! What a transformation! LOVE LOVE LOVE your new kitchen! Love the dark brown cabinets .... ok, LOVE everything! Can you tell me where you bought your cabinet hardware? Are they the 10" or 12" stainless steel pulls? Thanks for sharing the pics!!

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

What a wonderful transformation! I especially love your little moveable island.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Exciting transformation.
    I love the fresh clean lines and the rich palate of colors.
    The backsplash is perfect with the deep chocolate cabs
    and the stainless hardware. I like the light flo.ors
    with the contrast of dark cabs, and your paint co.lor
    brings it all together. Beautiful.
    enjoy.
    ~boxer

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Wow! Just chiming in that I love it, too! The backsplash behind the range is just awesome!

• scottdim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry I left this out, the bar pulls are all satin nickel made by EPCO. Sizes vary from 7.4 inches on the smallest to 15.75 on the largest.

• starpooh
    13 years ago

Wow! What a beautiful kitchen!
    May I include your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog? You can indicate your permission either in this post or send me an email: starpooh@gmail.com.
    Then, at your leisure, please submit the FKB Category Checklist to help me categorize your kitchen.
    Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• lisadlu
    13 years ago

Scottdim,
    Can you tell me if the doors are solid maple or plywood with maple veneer? Or how they were made? The cabinet guy I am thinking of using has warned me about slab style doors warping if solid wood (even if using the reverse gluing method to prevent it). Also he said maple does not take a dark stain well but your cabinets look great! Can you also point out which cab's are framed and which are frameless in your photos?
    THANK YOU!!

• scottdim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@starpooh Yes, feel free to include it! Only thing missing now is our window treatments, but I'll add those pics to my photobucket later.

@lisadlu

Doors are a combination of Maple and Birch I believe. My cab maker tried to use large planks wherever possible but most of the doors are more than one piece glued together. Not sure about the warping, everything is fine so far, but it hasn't been that long and I cannot say for sure if it will or wont happen.

Depending on how dark you want your stain, maple may not be the best choice because if you do it too dark, you will not be able to see the grain of the wood. There is a very fine line. Most people who have seen our cabs seem to really like the color.

As far as what is framed and what isnt, everything was initially framed but in order to get the look we were going for, the frames around the cab doors were all cut to essentially make them frameless. Our other option could have been to use frame mount door hinges, but we elected not to go that route (I didnt like the soft close mechanisms as much). The drawers are still framed as they were originally built. Obviously if I could go back, I would have done everything completely frameless.

Check out my construction pics on photobucket, I tried to add detail wherever possible.

HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: Construction photos

• charlie17
    13 years ago

Great kitchen!! What color stain did you use on the cabinets?

• scottdim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Color is a variation of Sherwin Williams French Roast. Cab maker used that as a base, but made it a little lighter.

• scottdim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Its been a little over a year and we are still loving our kitchen. Im both happy and sad to report we are selling our home (hoping to close this month). We are really going to miss this space but look forward to the challenge of our next one which is yet to be determined.

Ill most likely be active here again for our next go around :)