Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

60" Wolf range--do I "need" a backsplash? I just want paint

threeapples
11 years ago

like Plain English Design's dark blue/gray Spitalfields kitchen. I heard back from them and they used a glossy paint in that area, no steel or back-painted glass. Is there a requirement for a backsplash? Do any of you have this stove without one? Thanks.

Comments (10)

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

Plain paint will scorch and not pass code. Even though the drywall isn't flammable, the paint can be. All you need to do is to look at the pics on the Appliance Forum with people complaining about the stainless discoloring.

You need some type of non combustible surface behind the range. Some type of steel painted with high heat paint could qualify and still work for the look that you want.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok. I wonder how the Spitalfields kitchen owner gets away with this.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

English building codes may be different. And there's probably no cooking going on there either.

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

They may also be using AGA-type cookers which don't have the same extreme flame-y-ness that the typical US 60 inch pro-style range has.

Just get a piece of metal, paint it (you might consider a hi-temp formula for the paint, or just resign yourself to renewing it from time to time if it discolors from the heat) and you're good.

I don't like the look of most backsplashes, either.

L.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

International Residential code for cooking appliances requires that you follow the installation specifications that come with your appliances. Your code may be more strict. Ours is not.

The Wolf Subzero specs say nothing that I can find about minimal clearances to a vertical surface behind the range.

Only a vertical dimension to overhead horizontal (directly and to each side) combustible surfaces.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

M1901.2 Cooking appliances. Cooking appliances shall be
    listed and labeled for household use and shall be installed in
    accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. The installa-
    tion shall not interfere with combustion air or access for oper-
    ation and servicing. Electric cooking appliances shall comply
    with UL 1026 or UL 858. Solid-fuel -fired fireplace stoves
    shall comply with UL 737.

• taggie
    11 years ago

The 60" range specs a minimum 10" backguard if installing against drywall. What about sheet glass over your painted wall? Pricey, but it could be a stunning look.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Actually a piece of back painted glass 60" wide from marble backsplash top to the bottom of the range hood would not even be all that expensive.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Trailrunner, if you are out there ... Did you use Classic or Select Regal matte paint? I'm wondering if the newer low VOC Select is as good/durable. Did you paint yourself and was it easy to work with? I'm currently using Aura and it is a bear to apply smoothly due to its extremely fast drying time!

TIA