Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
60" Wolf range--do I "need" a backsplash? I just want paint

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 22:16

like Plain English Design's dark blue/gray Spitalfields kitchen. I heard back from them and they used a glossy paint in that area, no steel or back-painted glass. Is there a requirement for a backsplash? Do any of you have this stove without one? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 60" Wolf range--do I "need" a backsplash? I just want paint

Plain paint will scorch and not pass code. Even though the drywall isn't flammable, the paint can be. All you need to do is to look at the pics on the Appliance Forum with people complaining about the stainless discoloring.

You need some type of non combustible surface behind the range. Some type of steel painted with high heat paint could qualify and still work for the look that you want.

o

Ok. I wonder how the Spitalfields kitchen owner gets away with this.

o

English building codes may be different. And there's probably no cooking going on there either.

o

They may also be using AGA-type cookers which don't have the same extreme flame-y-ness that the typical US 60 inch pro-style range has.

Just get a piece of metal, paint it (you might consider a hi-temp formula for the paint, or just resign yourself to renewing it from time to time if it discolors from the heat) and you're good.

I don't like the look of most backsplashes, either.

L.

o

International Residential code for cooking appliances requires that you follow the installation specifications that come with your appliances. Your code may be more strict. Ours is not.

The Wolf Subzero specs say nothing that I can find about minimal clearances to a vertical surface behind the range.

Only a vertical dimension to overhead horizontal (directly and to each side) combustible surfaces.

o
irb

M1901.2 Cooking appliances. Cooking appliances shall be
listed and labeled for household use and shall be installed in
accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. The installa-
tion shall not interfere with combustion air or access for oper-
ation and servicing. Electric cooking appliances shall comply
with UL 1026 or UL 858. Solid-fuel -fired fireplace stoves
shall comply with UL 737.

o

I don't have a 60" Wolf but I do have a 36" Caldera gas cooktop. We do a LOT of high heat wok cooking and also have a Miele built in deep fat fryer. We use all of this frequently and have done so for 7 years. We have no backsplash. Only paint on sheetrock. There has been no change at all in the quality of the painted wall since it was installed 7 yrs ago. I have BM Regal Matte paint that is scrubbable after 30 days. I regularly scrub it with a soapy dishcloth. There is no reason that you too can't have a painted backsplash . I have it throughout my kitchen. Here is only one of 100's of pics. You can see more in the albums of you click on the pic. Good Luck .c

photo IMG_5736.jpg

o

The 60" range specs a minimum 10" backguard if installing against drywall. What about sheet glass over your painted wall? Pricey, but it could be a stunning look.

o

Actually a piece of back painted glass 60" wide from marble backsplash top to the bottom of the range hood would not even be all that expensive.

o

Trailrunner, if you are out there ... Did you use Classic or Select Regal matte paint? I'm wondering if the newer low VOC Select is as good/durable. Did you paint yourself and was it easy to work with? I'm currently using Aura and it is a bear to apply smoothly due to its extremely fast drying time!

TIA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here