Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maydl

Another granite sealing question: Bill V?

maydl
16 years ago

Bill, on the current granite sealing thread, you said that some granites not only don't need to be sealed, they shouldn't be.

Is there a list that tells which stones should and which stones shouldn't be sealed? We will be installing Dakota Mahogany granite and Rojo Alicante marble.

Thanks for all your good advice past, present, and future. You are so very generous with your time.

Comments (12)

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Yes, there is. On the following link, there are two links at the top of the page-- A-L, and M-Z, listing all the granites from around the world. For each granite, there's and absorbsion percentage rate. Anything less than .25% shouldn't be sealed. There's also a list for marble, but I'll tell you right off-- ALL marble should be sealed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Granite Tables

• reposado
    16 years ago

Bill, any idea what the absorption percentage rate is for verde vecchio granite? Don't see it on the tables. Thanks.

• peggross1
    16 years ago

Bill, thread drift here - do you have any comment about MB Stone Care's stone sealer, MB4?

I was planning on having my GC have all our marble, travertine and porcelain tile (for the grout) sealed with this product.

Please email me if you don't want to comment on GW.

Here is a link that might be useful: Llink to MB4

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

There are alot of people who really don't like Maurizio, John Bridge, and the guy who used to own this forum (Spike), just to name two. He tends to be an abrasive prima dona in the opinions of many who cross paths with him. But he's got premium products, and you could do alot worse than use his stuff.

And just for the record, I've dealt with him personally, as has Stonegirl, and both of us are in the minority-- we've both got alot of respect not only for his products, but also his knowledge of the trade and geology in general.

reposado-- I've got to give you credit-- this is the first time someone's come to me with a stone that wasn't listed!! You might try asking Maurizio. His forum is actually on the same sight as those tables.

Here is a link that might be useful: findstone.com

• maydl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bill, thanks so much once again. The link to the water absorption tables is phenomenal. It looks like my Dakota Mahogany shouldn't be sealed.

BUT: What problems are caused by sealing a granite that doesn't need sealing?

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Here's another one Bill...what about Diamond Black, sold by EXPO? Not Black Galaxy or even the Black Diamond I've seen occasionally.

Diamond Black is a dark black with sparkling silver inclusions (no copper, gold, etc.)

I'm hoping it doesn't need to be sealed.

TIA!

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

maydl-- the problem is the sealers used are penetrating sealers. They're not meant to sit on the surface of the stone. If they do, you can end up with anything from a dulling haze that tones down the stone, to what looks like someone wet the stone down and blew baby powder all over it, only it won't come off. This is why when sealing stone, you're instructed to wipe off all excess sealer after a few minutes.

buehl-- What I would do is go back to basics. Take a sopping wet sponge or rag and place it on the stone for about 2-3 minutes. Then, pick it up and wipe off the excess water. If there's a dark spot where the sponge or rag was, then your stone needs to be sealed. Chances are pretty good yours won't need to, though. Most of the black stones don't need to be sealed.

• maydl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks,Bill, that is good to know. I'll be discussing this with our fabricator.

• neesie
    16 years ago

Bill, I have ordered granite by the name of "Sunnyflower" from Brazil to be installed soon, and I have never heard it mentioned on these forums. It is a light colored stone with no black (spots or veins). I followed your link to the Granite Tables and didn't see it there, either. I noticed my sample is resined. I was wondering if there is anything you can tell me about this stone, especially in terms of etching and sealing. I am providing a link to a digital image of my sample. Thanks in advance!

P.S. Are you still a non-smoker? It's been over 4 months for me!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Hey Neesie-- That's got to be someone's marketing name for the stone. I'm not sure what stone it is, though. This would me a question for Adrienne (Stonegirl).

As for the smoking, it's been about a year and a half. :-) (10/20/06)

• aussies
    16 years ago

"Anything less than .25% shouldn't be sealed".

What if the table says 0.15-0.35%?

Thanks for your help!

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Put a sopping wet sponge on your stone. Let it sit for a couple of minutes, and then remove it and wipe off the excess water. Is there a dark spot where the sponge was? If so, seal it.