Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teacup_princess

which granites don't need to be sealed?

teacup_princess
14 years ago

Is there a list somewhere of types of granites that don't need to be sealed? Does anyone know off-hand of any of the cheaper granites that don't need sealing?

Finally, in a completely unrelated question, can you put sink drains in granite. I got a quote for a soapstone and a granite. They both included a price for a drain board. Was this a mistake? I was under the impression that you couldn't do that with granite.

Comments (11)

• sue36
    14 years ago

We have Coast Green granite and nothing seems to stain it. The installer did slap some (I'm sure cheap and crappy) sealer on three years ago, but it hasn't been reapplied. Tomato sauce, tea, coffee, nothing has stained it so far. Con: you have to like green!

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

and if a stone will absorb a sealer,
    it's a good idea to use it.

Absolutely. However, many stones won't absorb it. The pearls for example-- Blue Pearl, Emerald Pearl, etc.-- or the black granites, such as Absolute Black or Black Galaxy-- none of those will absorb a sealer, and as a result end up looking like there's a haze on the surface. Another popular one is Ubatuba. Although there used to be some slabs that would take a sealer, 99.9% of the Ubatuba found today, won't.

In the following link, at the top of the page, you'll find two other links-- one, A-L, and the other, M-Z. Both links will take you to a chart of the most popular granites from around the world. On those charts is a column for absorbsion rates. If the rate of your granite is .25% or less, it SHOULD NOT be sealed.

If you have a granite that's not on the list, try the "sponge" test. Lay a sopping wet sponge or rag on the countertop. After a couple of minutes, remove it and then wipe up any water sitting on the surface. If the stone under where the sponge or rag was sitting darkened, then your stone needs to be sealed. Otherwise, you're okay to leave it as is.

Here is a link that might be useful: World's Most Popular Granites

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

Thank You My Brother Bill !!!!

• buzzy0
    14 years ago

I do have a question for Brother Bill....we have Black Galaxy for our island and was told by the installer to use windex on it. They said the ammonia would kill germs. Now we ordered Solarius for the Perimeter countertops and this different installer said to NEVER put ammonia on any granite. Do you think I have damaged my black galaxy after using Windex with Amonia on it for 5 years? Thanks! Also are you familiar with how soft my Solarius is? (another name we saw for it is Antique Persia, or Pegasus) It is an exotic granite. Thanks so much!

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

The reason not to use Windex, or ANY ammonia product is befcause it'll eat away at the sealer. If there's no sealer on the granite, then there's no problem. However, if yours is a granite that DOES require sealing, your second installer's right. You need to stick with something that's strictly ph neutral.

• tiskers
    14 years ago

Bill, Kevin, or anyone:
    We have Santa Cecelia Light granite, and it absolutely needs a sealer. So I am careful not to use any ammonia products, etc.
    However, sometimes after preparing raw meat, chicken, etc., I'd really like to *sanitize* the counter top... but I don't know what to use. Is there anything that would be OK?
    Many thanks!
    Lynn

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Use a ph neutral cleaner made specifically for stone. If you go to any tile showroom they should be able to help you, as well as in the tile aisle at Lowes or Home Depot. You can also find products on line right at the retail store on John Bridge's website.

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

If I may tag another question onto this granite thread....

I asked in another post whether butterfly blue had aliases and if it needed to be sealed. I'd love it if you granite experts could take a look at the thread and help me. TIA!

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfly blue granite - seal?

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Lisa just reminded me of something in her thread that I've omitted by accident. That rule of thumb I gave above (less than .25% doesn't need to be sealed)-- that applies ONLY to polished stone. Any and all honed stone should be sealed, no exceptions.

• imjustbrowsing
    4 years ago

What about leathered stone?