Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maple butcher block owners - love it or hate it??

Posted by oaktree_35 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 22:00

I am looking for advice from those who have wood counter tops. I love the look, but everyone warns me against the upkeep. We are looking at maple butcher block for our island, which will have a sink and dishwasher in it. I've searched through the archives and can't find a thread discussing this topic - would love any advice on the reality of the upkeep. I have 2 little kids, and tend to bang around in the kitchen. I have no desire for something that stays pristine, but I don't want to have to worry about it warping or cracking either.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maple butcher block owners - love it or hate it??

The question is always "what are you going to use it for?"

Meaning, are you going to use it for cutting on? Or absolutely not?

Maybe there are some here with much more experience than I have, but the one's I have done and the research I have found is that you can seal it off, make it last a good long time looking good....but you can't (or shouldn't) cut on it for obvious reasons.

If it is going to be used for direct cutting, mineral oil. Quite a bit at the beginning, like twice daily. Then as it starts to saturate, spread out the maintenance. Once a day, then per week, then once per month to three months.

If it's dry, then it definitely needs to be oiled. It's not much to do, it's very easy. Pour it on and get some micro fiber to spread it out. Simple.

o

This thread might help. Those of us with wood counters discuss how they're fairing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood counters usage discussion

o

we put in a Boos maple butcher block island top in our last house. Used it and did not baby it. Cut on it sometimes, the kids did crafts there, etc. Just kept it well oiled with mineral oil. I would use it again.

o

I have 2" thick maple. I have had my kitchen for 12 years and have sanded and refinished once. Three counters are polyurethaned with a satin finish and they need no care. The small section near the stove is oiled for cutting and prep work, and I re-oil it about once a year now. I have lived with tile, stone, and formica, and these are by far my favorite counters for ease of care, functionality, looks, and warmth.

o

I am not planning on cutting on it, so I think I would seal it off. I was thinking of having it on the island, and granite on the parameter, but maybe I should consider doing wood on the perimeter (away from the water) and granite on the island. Does anyone have an opinion on that aesthetically? It seems like wood is usually used for the island, but maybe that's assuming the sink is on the perimeter. Thanks for your input!

o

if you search "tung oil" you'll find a lot of discussions as well.

I've had cherry counters for over 6 years. Zero issues.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here