Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
porcelain slab kitchen countertop

Posted by palm_tree_2013 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 21:57

Hi,
We are starting a gut-remodel job and I'm trying to find the perfect kitchen counter material. I love the look of marble counters, but want something more stain resistant. I've looked a lot at different quartzite, granite, and engineered quartz like Ceasarstone. I recently learned about porcelain slabs (not tile, actual slabs). The one that I saw I would have thought it was marble, it looked like the real thing! The guy at the slab yard said it is a new product and he didn't know too much about it. Anyone familiar with this? I would love to hear your experience.

I did find a photo online, if that helps:
http://geologica.designshuffle.com/portfolio/fmg/statuario-venato-maxfine-poplished/

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: porcelain slab kitchen countertop

It's the latest thing, comes with a "Toto handle" too!

Unsigned

o

The link didn't work for me, either.

Houzz produced this:

Reading the specs, they seem to be max 6mm thick... a very thin through body porcelain in large format slabs. I'm guessing they mitered the example above.

Google provided the manufacturer:

Here is a link that might be useful: From Italy, very thin

This post was edited by gooster on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 0:17

o

Thanks gooster. Sorry about the bad link. Yes, the counters must be mitered. It looks so good! Too good to be true?

Here is another photo from houzz, from CASALINEA Dallas:

o

Palm-Tree. I was just going to post about the same thing!

Saw slabs of it on Fri in a high end tile and slab yard. Several different colors, shiny and matte and one that looked more like marble than any other non marble material I've ever seen. The latter caught my eye and also because it was so thin and fragile looking, I had to ask what it was. Very surprised to hear porcelain and that it's being used for everything, shower walls, countertops... Guess it makes sense, tile without the grout lines, but hard to believe when seeing it in a slab that thin!

Anyone know much about it or seen it used anywhere?

Thanks,

o

I remember this post about Kerlite. Don't know if it's helpful at all, but thought you might want to take a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kerlite

o

I don't know if I'd want something like that for counters but it would be fantastic for shower walls.

o

There is a post about a similar product on the baths forum adn I was thinking the same thing -- shower? Tub deck?

o

I'd worry about porcelain for counters - but that's coming from someone whose grandparent's sink was porcelain and chipped like mad.

For a shower wall though, I think I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

o

Did you ever decide to go with the Porcelain countertop?
I am looking for feedback from someone who actually has this as their kitchen countertop.

o

A more recent post about Kerlite in the bathrooms forum:

Here is a link that might be useful: Low maintenance shower surround

o

There is a product being released by Cosentino ( manufacturer of Silestone quartz) in the next 90 days which is called an ultra compact surface and is the first surface of its kind ever made. It is comprised mainly of porcelain but also has quartz and refined glass in it as well. It is extremely impact resistant and heat resistant up to 1400 F. The other great thing about the product is that it's available in both 2cm ( 3/4") and 3cm (1 1/4") thicknesses. Check it out: Dekton.com

o

I just saw this product this past week in a high end tile store in San Diego called Tuo Sogno. It's manufactured by a company called Fiandre. Is priced at $37.50/sq ft (polished), $33.50/sq ft (matte). It comes in a 5'x10' slab. I'm not sure whether it can be cut down to custome sizes. I also thought it looked amazing. I'd love to know if anyone can comment on its durability.

o

Miriamcb, there are a couple of other threads with some slight discussion of Fiandre. Here's one:

Here is a link that might be useful: marble rangehood

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here