Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cflaherty_gw

2 years in the making. Would like to hear your design ideas

cflaherty
13 years ago

We have been back and forth with the final design of our kitchen and 2 ajoining rooms. We have the DR to the left. KIT in the middle. den to the right. All 3 rooms are along the backside of the house. The sun rises in the front and sets in the back. We do not and cannot extend the kitchen into either room ...they r to small as it is, but we would like to knock down the walls that separate the rooms (both non bearing), get rid of our formal dining room (we never use it) and put a small island with 2-3 stools. We are also incorporating our mudd room (where we enter and exit the house primarily) into the reno which is very close to the kitchen. I have read the directions on posting pics but still can't figure it out. If anyone is willing to help me with this please do! Thx.

Comments (14)

• cflaherty
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
  • Buehl
    13 years ago

It's very difficult to recommend designs/layouts without a drawing of the space. It's pretty easy to create a drawing...measure your space, get graph paper and draw it up, and post it here. Be sure to include the widths of each wall/window/doorway and the distances between each wall/window/doorway. See the "Layout Help" topic in the "Read Me" thread.

BTW...to post a picture, copy the text in the "HTML Code" box that appears when you hover over a picture and paste it in the "Message" box here. It will look something like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!

• cflaherty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought thatnis what I did...is there not measurements etc?

Lets try this again.

http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af233/flatman/Pics%20of%20Current%20Layout%20of%20House/

• Buehl
    13 years ago

I think I have all the measurements....is this correct?

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Questions:

1. How big is your family?

How do you plan to use your kitchen? Prepping/Cooking only? Homework? Hang out?
    Do you entertain a lot?
    Do your children frequently have friends over to hang out in the kitchen?
    How many people work in the kitchen at once...prepping, cooking, and/or cleaning up? If one, will that change as your children get older and you teach them to cook & cleanup?
    Is island seating a "must"/non-negotiable?

From your layouts, it appears you are planning the following appliances: 36" counter-depth refrigerator (31" deep counting doors & handles)
    30" range
    24" DW
    MW??

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Just a little bit of tweaking to give you better aisles and better zones.

At just over 12', your kitchen is not deep enough for cabinets/counters on each wall + an island with seating.

Ideally, this is what you need for the above:

25.5" top wall run + 42" aisle + 43.5" island (b/c of curve) + 48" aisle + 25.5" bottom wall run = 178.5" = 14'10.5"

Even reducing aisles and reducing one wall run's cabinet depth doesn't gain you enough.

If the bottom wall run is eliminated, the aisle b/w the island and the wall can be reduced to 42" or so...b/c there's no appliance/cabinet/counter behind the seats, just a walkway.

• cflaherty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi buehl!
    So I had a chance to really digest what you were saying about our kitchen...apparently this designer did not take into account the counter top overhangs also took the avg of the overhang of the island...ALL WRONG! �thank you so much for seeing the errors...

What I was thinking of doing is 25.5" cab counter on outside wall, 36" walking space b/w the cab and island, the island 25.5" with 11" overhang, another 36" walking space, and on opposing wall 13" cab counter....I understand its a small overhang and the one pantry would be shallower but not sure what else we could do?

When you have a chance lmk what you think of this scenario.

Thanks again!

We avoided a huge problem thanks to you...!

Courtney

PS I will send you a pdf or jpg of the measure of the kitchen and mudd room. I tried sending it to you via email but I dont think you recieved it.

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

Buehl is right. A kitchen 12 feet wide does not have room for two runs of cabinets with an island between them. You will grow to hate the island. It will feel like it is always in your way, forcing you through narrow aisles that will start to feel like a maze.

And there isn't really a point that I can see to having a 13" cab counter along one wall. What is the point, from your perspective? I mean, what would go there, what would you do there...? It's too small to be anything other than a bookshelf, basically, but I think it would really cramp your style to have a bookshelf there, because it makes the spacing of everything else be too small.

Speaking of which, 11" is too small an overhang. Here are the minimum overhangs required for adults (or teenagers--basically everyone larger than little kids) to sit comfortably:
    - If the counter is table height (30"): 18" overhang.
    - If the counter is counter height (36"): 15" overhang.
    - If the counter is bar height (42"): 12" overhang.

That's how much of an overhang, MINIMUM, you need for there to be room for people's legs. No one wants to be forced to do yoga while they're sitting at the island eating breakfast, but that's what will happen if you put a (god forbid) 11" overhang on the island. People will just stop sitting there because it's uncomfortable, so it will become wasted space.

• cflaherty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Idealgirl,

1) the 12" pantry will hold a ton of stuff..most grocery products are 12" or less..my pantry right now has 12" shelves..will see if I can muster up a pic and post it...no books..all online for now with my 2 year old running around:)

2) yes I know 11" is not deep ...the seats r mainly for the kids and their friends..I will purchase stools with no backs that will stow under the island...I never sit in my kitchen and I dont think I ever will for a loooooooonnnngggggg time! We dont formal entertain so the kitchen will be where people congregate etc...not really sit

3) not sure if you know this but we r knocking down walls on both sides of the kitchen (not extending into either rooms) to make it more open...no more formal DR..we never use it ! So we in essence got rid of our eat in kit table and put it in our formal DR to see how we liked it...we LOVE it...this is where we they (2 kids/hubby) will sit. Hehe!

I appreciate your opinion but for 2 yrs now I have been thinking of every possible scenario and I think this is the final one unless someone comes up with something I have never seen.

• cflaherty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My lovely pantry...it is a total waste of space b/c the pantry is sooo big but the shelves r just 12". 12" shelves without the wasted space would be lovely thank you!

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae280/cflaherty5268/94082c4f.png

Here is a link that might be useful:

• cflaherty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Questions:

How big is your family? My husband who is 6'1, 2 big boys : Quinn just turned 2 (appox 40 lbs and 40 inches all) in January and Declan will be 6 in Oct (approx 51 inches 50 lbs)...and me I am about 5'7 (135 lbs)

How do you plan to use your kitchen? �Prepping/Cooking only? �Homework? �Hang out?
    We r planning on using our kitchen to cook and prepp, homework (prob @ the island?) and definitely a place for moms to hang out when the kids r playing.

Do you entertain a lot?
    Informal entertaining, this is why we r thinking of knocking down the wall b/w the DR and KIT and utilizing our DR more often...we have since moved our kitchen table into our DR to see if we like eating in there and we do thus far.

Do your children frequently have friends over to hang out in the kitchen?
    Yes..and we also finished the basement where we keep all the toys for the most part, and we also have an office where we keep all of our files etc...books, and a computer that recently crashed and r not using. We r currently using an iPad and a laptop. We have a wireless printer so I can print from my iPad....thinking that we will eventually be all wireless.

How many people work in the kitchen at once...prepping, cooking, and/or cleaning up? �If one, will that change as your children get older and you teach them to cook & cleanup?
    Yes, 1 at this point..I do all the prepping, cooking, and �cleaning for all three boys! hehe!
    I am right handed.

Is island seating a 'must'/non-negotiable?
    i would say yes unless you have a better idea!?
    We were thinking of doing this door on the left side of pic for our basement door (so it wouldnt swing into the stool at the island.

From your layouts, it appears you are planning the following appliances:

36' counter-depth refrigerator (31' deep counting doors & handles)
    The fridge is not counter-depth..it is 35 3/4' Deep and 35 3/4' width. We were planning on pushing it back into the one wall in our mudd room and gain a few inches of walking space b/w the fridge and the counter that butts up against the den..(make sense?)
    30' range
    Yes the GE Cafe Range with a 36' hood that our carpenter is going to build
    24' DW
    Yes, we recently purchased a bosch b/c our other one was going.
    MW??
    Placing a 27' GE Advantium 120 (high speed cook oven) in the island

Sink is the Blanco Silgranit 440-147 32' outside width and 9 1/2' in depth ...single bowl.
    Our carpenter will also be building us a recessed sink so we will have a little more turning radius to the trash can

We will also be placng an Anderson 6"0 x 6"8 FWG in the DR where we currently have our windows and then an Anderson 4 x 4 CW24 being built to look like a garden window and flush with counter top...make sense?

We r seekimg a functional kitchen over looks... We need more cabinet space...

In the mudd room we were thinking about putting front loading W/D and a small slop sink (21-22 nches) and a counter top over top of them...and cabinets above of course..and on the opposing wall a bench with storage cubbies for all the coats hats shoes etc...a pocket door going from mudd rm into hallway !

I think this is it for now..I am sure I will have additional info fr you.
    thx again!

Courtney

• cflaherty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dining room wall is 147 5/8
    Wall where my current slider and window r is 186 5/8
    Wall with basement door and hallway entry to kitchen 191 3/4

Now this is me readng off the professional measure we had done...I guess i could be wrong!

Now that I think about it...why r opposing walls different ? They should be the same right? Confused!

• Buehl
    12 years ago

I'll review it more tonight...if I have time.

• cflaherty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks buehl! I am really anxious to get this project going.
    Never have done something like this so I want to make sure its right before we start.