Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

cracks on granite counter top

Posted by OR96ANGE (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 21:52

I had a kitchen counter top installed 2 weeks ago. A friend highly recommended that I go and pick the slab of granite I wanted from the wholesale granite importer and have their people cut and install the counter top at my place. That's what I did.
A week later a plumber put the faucet and hooked up the drains and garbage disposal.
About 6 hours after the plumber left, my husband and I heard a loud noise in the kitchen. The counter top had cracked in front and behind the faucet.

Now I have the plumber saying it's an installation problem and the installer accusing the plumber.

I would very much like to hear your opinion.

Thank you very much for your answer.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: cracks on granite counter top

The plumber overtightened the nut. Good thing you didn't put in a fireclay sink or he could have cracked that too. It IS repairable with epoxy by the granite fabricator. But the plumber should pay for it.

RE: cracks on granite counter top

I am a fabricator.

Tough problem. If the countertop was properly installed there is no mechanical stress on the granite and no reason for it to crack so the too tight faucet nut is at least possible. I would look along the underside of the countertop to see if it is shimmed so that every part has support. Typically the tops of the cabinetry are not perfectly level and the underside of the stone is also not perfectly flat so some shimming is required. if some section is not supported then a crack developing is quite possible.

However, since granite has a compressive strength similar to concrete it's difficult to imagine tightening a faucet nut enough to harm the granite. In fact, it seems impossible to me.

unless you can determine that the tops were improperly installed your best bet is to let the fabricator repair the crack. A well done repair will make the crack invisible or nearly so.

you might ask the fabricator if the sink area is "rodded". Rodding is the technique used to strengthen the rails around the sink by glueing in a steel or fiberglass rod in the underside of the rail. the rod prevents movement much like rebar in concrete in the event a crack develops. A repair of the crack is much more likely to be permenant if the stone is rodded.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here