Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for photos of header/post combinations in older houses

Posted by dreamojean (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 21:50

I'm interested in seeing pictures of kitchens in older homes where a wall has been removed and a large header has been installed, or a smaller header with a post (or posts), with an island in the middle of the kitchen, to get ideas as to how to integrate a post/posts into the island design. We are in the process of opening up a wall and I can picture either a post on one end of the island or posts on either side of the island (so it's like a picture frame around the island), and I've seen photos of posts in more modern kitchens, but not that many in older houses like our brownstone where a lot of the details have been retained like the tin ceilings, hardwood floors and classic trim. I'm thinking of going for columns that mimic the trim we're losing a bit of, to tie the room together. Any thoughts/pics welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for photos of header/post combinations in older house

Here are some pictures that I had saved that might give you some ideas. You could also check houzz.com and type in something like "island post" and you'll get more. Some will be the little posts under the countertop, but there are others that go all the way to the ceiling like what you are looking for.
 photo VelvetandLinen.jpg
 photo the-green-kitchen--UDUzNC00MjQ0LjIyMzM0.jpg

Not connected, but could be:  photo 65-large-01_zps3e49968a.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n617/laughablemoments/2-kitchen-otm-0608-xlg-62780451-19295169.jpg
 photo kitchen-islands-05-1.jpg
 photo phoca_thumb_l_K-12.jpg
 photo IMG_0256.jpg
 photo IMG_0248.jpg
 photo imagesqtbnANd9GcQJdRatKYkQ_pR_FqeQZ.jpg
 photo Img_6662.jpg
 photo 93803_0_8-1623-traditional-dining-room.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here