Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
williamsem

It time! Before and during pics for williamsem! Updated daily...

williamsem
10 years ago

*******UPDATE*******
Due to limits in Photobucket I need to remove most of the earlier images from the thread. I will provide a link to the album, where all the pictures can be viewed in order. Somehow I was fine last month, but hit my limit in 4 days this month. I think I have fixed the issue between account stuff and direct linking to the album. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Direct link for album, also hyperlinked at the bottom: http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/williamsem/library/kitchen%20remodel

We are now at demo day minus 2, GC starts Monday, Mom and I are removing cabinets today and tomorrow so she can have them for her garage.

I'm so excited and completely terrified to start! But there's no turning back now, I have a whole kitchen in my living room waiting to go in and my current kitchen in boxes everywhere else in the house. Not to mention a severe lack of cabinets in the room now!

Official before pics! Please excuse the mess, I forgot to take pics until we were in the middle of packing up and clearing out.
{{gwi:1823056}}
{{gwi:1823057}}
{{gwi:1823058}}
{{gwi:1823059}}
{{gwi:1823060}}
{{gwi:1823061}}

And so far we have had a very entertaining experience. Some things we learned today:

The best way to find your studs is to simply drill many holes.
{{gwi:1823062}}
{{gwi:1823063}}

And always use the longest screws possible. If you don't want to waste your screws on stupid things like spacers, make sure you have plenty of masking tape around.
{{gwi:1823064}}

Yes, that is 24 year old masking tape on top of the OTR MW. Granted it did just need to keep the wood in place for the bolts to go through, but I'm not convinced it's safe, seems like a fire hazard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen album

This post was edited by williamsem on Thu, May 30, 13 at 11:15

Comments (151)

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Cabinets! Day one of install, they will probably be here another 2-3 days with trim and such to account for. There are some minor things like alignment, finish rubbed a bit, etc, but I'm trying hard not to look for every little thing until they are done and have been touched up after install. One door has some rough patches visible on the detailing, which I don't think can be touched up, and one has what looks like spiderweb cracks in the finish in one spot, likely from an impact if I had to guess, but otherwise I expect the rest to be non-issues by the end.

Bellmont 1900 series frameless cabinets, Savannah door in maple with Java stain:

(Image removed, see link to album in first post)

If anyone has ideas about what to do with all that space in the oven cabinet, please share! I have an Advantium to go in there, but it is not that tall. Only 20 inches if I remember right.

This post was edited by williamsem on Thu, May 30, 13 at 11:29

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I am loving the wall color with the cork and cabinets!

• Locrian
    10 years ago

Thank you for the info on the cork, WilliamsEm =). And looking forward to your thread on it. (We're on a concrete slab; that's one of my reasons for wanting cork HaHa)

Your running commentary is extremely helpful, especially with all of the pics. It's amazing how much has to be done before...oh like fixing electrical anomalies or plumbing.

p.s. the iPad takes fantastic pictures!

• angela12345
    10 years ago

Williamsem, I know you have your layout all planned, so I am not suggesting to move things around at this point. Just letting you know what we did with our oven cabinet ...

Our cabinet is 97.5" tall (UltraCraft allows customization in height, width, and depth at no extra charge) x 24 wide x 24 deep. From top to bottom ... 42" tall pantry cabinet, 1.5" trim, 12" microwave, approx 31.5" oven, 6" drawer, 4.5" toe kick.

(edit for typo: changed suggestion to suggesting)

This post was edited by angela12345 on Wed, May 29, 13 at 17:10

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, angela12345, that's a great looking set up! At this point I think I am just going to have to live with the wasted space. I didn't realize the opening was standard for the oven cabinets. I did look at the GE drawer that they sell for under the Advantium, but they are just plain ugly. If I can find one to look at in person and it looks better than the pics, I might get one, but I wouldn't count on that.

So the cabinets are almost done! Just need to finish up the molding, light rail, and install the extras. Then clean and touch up.

I LOVE the cabinets! And the height really makes the room feel taller. It's so nice having the corner by the hall open now, the fridge was really a space hog.

(Images removed, see link to album above)

This post was edited by williamsem on Fri, May 31, 13 at 20:10

• leela4
    10 years ago

Wow-I just can't get over how great that color is in your space. It really brings out the richness of the cabinets. No wonder you are excited!!

• angela12345
    10 years ago

LOL, it's not because I "planned" it so carefully. Just got very VERY lucky. The builder was going bananas on me to finish our kitchen cabinet layout/selection. We did not have our appliances picked yet either. So, I went to AJ Madison and looked up specs on multiple ovens to find out what the size range would be, knowing that depending on which oven we ended up with, if I needed to I would have the installer remove the bottom drawer.

The cabinet came with a big front panel for them to cut out the opening for the oven. To keep our drawer, he had to sit the microwave right smack up to the oven. There is no trim in between, although there is a shelf he made that the MW sits on inside. Then he took some L shaped trim he had leftover from trimming the end of the peninsula and wedged it in there on 3 sides. It all just barely fit. It only looks like we meant it to happen that way. Haha. In fact, we bought a backup microwave just in case this one ever goes out because it has to have these exact dimensions to work. The part that amazes me the most is that the handles for the single oven and the top handle of the double ovens line up exactly. Like, you can put a level on them !!

I love how your kitchen is turning out !! So gorgeous. And such an improvement. I know you are thrilled.

Question ... How big is the opening space for the Advantium ? And how big exactly is the Advantium ? I'm sure we can all come up with something to use the extra space to make it look like you "planned" it that way. Maybe a shelf for cookbooks ? Or the mfg could send an extra drawer. Or a door to cover that space, maybe a flip up door.

• deedles
    10 years ago

That is looking really nice! It's neat to see the end product after having looked at your floorplan so much back when... I can never get a really good feel for space on graph paper so it's helpful to see IRL.

Did you leave room for a table or wasn't there a sliding door or something across from the oven wall? Can't remember that part.

• brewgirl
    10 years ago

Really love following your progress! I'm especially excited to read about your experiences with the Bellmont Line, as we're seriously considering using them for our upcoming reno. So please keep up with your cabinet feedback!

Looks great so far and won't be long until you have the finishing touches!

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deedles, there is space for a smallish table accross from the Advantium, in front of the range and slider.

Yesterday's pics are in the album. More in progress cabinet stuff. I'd post a few, but today's pics are so much better!

Today they finished the cabinets. At least round one. Need to reorder the oven frame, and they are not happy with many of the doors. I have been resisting the urge to scrutinize everything until it is done to their satisfaction. The owner will set up a meeting with me next week, so I'll enjoy them for a few days before I get picky. Also I managed to be short one pull. Oops.

I -love- these cabinets. And so far, the only thing DH has said he loves is the crown molding! He likes it all, but loves that crown

Granite template on Wednesday! GC comes back Tuesday, he unfortunately had a death in the family. No, really. Hoping for fan, vent and range that day.

Link to album: http://photobucket.com/albums/dd374/williamsem/kitchen remodel

Here is a link that might be useful: Williamsem kitchen

• justmakeit
    10 years ago

Hi -- oooh, it's looking so great! I just want to mention that when I go to Photobucket, it says your album is private and won't let me see it. It's possible this is my problem (I'm not a member of Photobucket?), but maybe it's a more general one. Thought I'd pass that slong.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Justmakeit, it says private to me as well. I tried last night and this morning.

Williamsem, I can't wait to see your fully revealed kitchen!

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Wow Williamsen! I haven't seen your progress since the drywall was going up and your floor was about to go in. From the pictures you posted here, it looks great!!! Like the others, Photobucket won't let me see your album saying that it's private.

I'm curious - it looks like you have the crown molding going straight across where the window is. Is that true? I'd like to see more as to how that's all getting finished out. I've been wondering what I want to do in that area because our windows don't have any trim around the exterior...we've been talking about extending our backsplash tile up around the window (similar to how it goes the whole way up for behind the cooktop), but we haven't decided for sure yet and we're putting a recessed can in over the sink rather than a pendant, so maybe having the crown extend across might give it an interesting look...really hope you have another picture or two of that.

Oh, and I forgot to mention - love that bold blue color - it's hard to imagine being anything other than happy in that kitchen.

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the heads up on the album, I changed the settings. I did check the link, but of course for me it wasn't a problem!

I get to load up all the drawers now! With a solid top on the cabinets even the top drawers should be ok for granite install. Got some cleaning to do before I can start though.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

The album is working now, Williamsem. Very nice! Enjoy moving everything back into the kitchen. All in all, it seems like it went pretty smoothly. Can't wait for your final reveal.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Oh, lucky you guys. Shopping was both fun and tiresome, but for me loading up the drawers was pure delight. Most stuff had never had A place before--often-used migrated to front and top, the rest back and bottom. I can see why you love those cabinets. If I ever go that direction, it'll be THAT way. Luscious!

• miruca
    10 years ago

Love those cork floors! You'll have to let us know how standing on them works out.

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Andreak100, I just added some pics of the sink area to the album for you. I actually hadn't given the area much thought at all other than to order a valance, which needs to be reordered a little smaller. The window is so small since there was previously a soffit there that I'm glad the crown goes accross! If I had ended up putting in a larger window I might have gone another way, but as is I'm completely fine with it. I think if I mount the window treatment (tbd) high enough it will give the illusion of a window more in scale with the space. I did not specify the crown on the cabinet returns up there either, that was something the installer thought would finish it off nicely since they had enough extra. I wasn't going to argue :-)

So some good news! The oven cabinet face needs to be reordered because the opening was too big. So I asked about adding a drawer, and I'm getting another drawer! I'll put the oven stuff in the new drawer, so now I have another short drawer to play with. Awesome!

Also getting a bunch of new doors. While not a huge problem, a good deal of them have an odd line around the bottom where it looks like the doors were rubbed. But it's under the finish so it can't be touched up. That's not typical for this company from what I've been told, so I think maybe they were training someone and didnt realize these were not rub marks.

Regardless, it doesn't in any way affect us enjoying the cabinets for now! And even with so many doors being replaced, there was only a single drawer I requested be changed out, all the rest were singled out by the local cabinet company as not to their standards (and me, but I let him pick first). So no butting heads at all during the whole process.

Loving the cork so far! And the tiles seem to have relaxed a bit now. I think there are 3 that need to be replaced - one that doesn't seem to have stuck well (must be the tile, the rest of the floor stuck), one with a lump under it, and one that is gouged. Now don't start with the "I told you so"s, it looks like something really heavy and sharp (like a cabinet corner) was dropped as the finish/wear layer is actually broken clear off. If it were wood, I think the damage would have been much worse. At least it can just be removed, repreped and replaced easily. Not worried.

Work resumes tomorrow, granite template Wednesday.

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, guess I'm a little behind!

The granite guy was great! He patiently answered all my questions and gave me a lesson on living with granite since it's new to me. It was fun watching him do the luan template, and he says his tolerance is 1/8 in max, though usually less. All my wall edges will be tiled, so even 1/8 should be hidden if it comes to that. Everything I was worried about from reading here seems like it's standard procedure at this place. Eased bottom edge, corner radius, overhang, finished side where it sticks out past the wall a tad in one spot. And no seams!

GC ended up not coming until Thursday due to family affairs, which we recently went through and I figured might happen.

So things are going pretty slow and I'm losing steam. We are off all this week from work and were hoping to get everything moved back in, but not quite there yet.

But we now have UCL up, LOVE them! Also the bathroom is finished, except paint touch ups. I do still need to have the glass backsplash put in, GC is having a small piece of frosted glass cut, and I will get a glass shelf to put up to tie it in. Also need decor of some sort, but not a priority :-)

Appliances are back! Though no hood until the cabinet guy adds a piece of trim nobody told me we needed, and isn't normally added. Also started playing with my secret storage addition.

Some walls are painted and finished, some still need the second coat. That doesn't show up in the pics. Trim is all in and painted.

Tomorrow I am supposed to get my fan and lights working, so that's exciting! Then just have to wait for the granite, maybe the end of next week, to finish up with the plumbing under the sink/DW. And backsplash. Just ordered the tiles today, should be here in 10 days.

I also received a roll of cork flooring underlayment that I'm going to cut up to line the drawers. Will report back on how that works, I know that was a topic of interest not that long ago.

So for those following, that's what's new. And hopefully real time updates are helping at least someone see what to expect. Only a few more things to update before I take some time off posting to get it all together for the big reveal! That's several weeks away at best.

More pics in the album...

• bpath
    10 years ago

That mini-work-bench-pullout is adorable, and such a practical use of that little space! Inspired!

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So we spent our whole vacation at the house with the contractor instead of putting things back together.

But the lights are working! Still need the fan, what a mess! Instead about that separately, but basically the guy at Lowes told me I could use a switch with the remote, but you can't. So new fan obtained for Monday install. One strip of plugmold (only one I have) to go in, and then finishing touches after granite.

Pics added with lights on. They are at full brightness, Ecosmart 4 in LEDs, for those that want to see how they look. UCL are off in those pics, so all the light is from the recessed cans. I know a few people are at that point.

• Weedpuller1954
    10 years ago

Are things a little topsy turvey at your house?? HeeHee! (In case you didn't notice, that last photo is upside down) We are at week 4 in our renovation and so just a little behind you. I have enjoyed your progress reports. I can see what I have to look forward too!! Our counter tops will be installed on Wednesday. Soooo looking forward to having water in the kitchen again!
    Can't wait to see your counter tops. LOVE the cork floor, and agree with bpathome, the pullout is adorable!

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, definitely a little topsy-turvey here! Though that pic looks fine on my iPad. I've noticed pics often look fine on my iPad that others comment are turned this way or that in other threads. Not sure how to fix it.

I hope you post a pic of your new counters, how exciting! I'm a little jealous, I'd just about kill to get a working sink by this point :-)

I love my pull out too! That wall cabinet is 15 in deep but the angled cabinet only comes 12x12, so it had to be pulled out 3 in. I decided it was the perfect opportunity to use something fun, and everyone that has seen it so far loves it!

• buildinva
    10 years ago

Love following your journey! Very exciting!

• buildinva
    10 years ago

Love following your journey! Very exciting!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Fabulous, congratulations! Love that creative rolling china cabinet and your granite. Love the angled uppers at the corner. Thank you for sharing the journey as it unfolds!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

edited, delete duplicate post

This post was edited by kksmama on Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 8:37

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, so the last details have been trickling in v e r y slowly. Fan is in and working. We have been waiting for the granite, which came today! So we now have the Orca installed! No water until tomorrow am, somebody had shorting wires that needed attention so GC is tied up. Backsplash tile came on Friday. No install date. Also still have a strip of plugmold to go up.

We are so close! My goal is to get everything done before the replacement doors for the cabinets come so once they are swapped out, the kitchen is done.

More pics in the album!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!!!!
    So glad to see your beautiful countertop!
    Almost there!

• angela12345
    10 years ago

Wowie Zowie !! That is some gorgeous granite !!

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! You must be so pleased. Love the paint color.

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

Duplicate comment deleted.

This post was edited by dilly_ny on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 9:58

• deedles
    10 years ago

Nice granite! Can't wait for your final reveal, Williamsem

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Omg, running water! In the kitchen! I'm in heaven. Washed a ton of things and can finally put stuff back for real now that it doesn't have to go up and down the stairs every day.

Got to say, I LOVE the Orca too! Still feeling it out a bit, but it was pretty awesome to set up a tub of soapy water on the right side grid, fill the sink with little stuff, and be able to wash it all with ease. I now have 3 levels of stuff drying in there :-). That sink holds a lot of stuff. It's awesome.

The Simplice is also pretty cool. I had it mounted with the handle in front (thanks GW!). For those asking around, the spray mode does not reset when turned off, so it will stay in either in stream or spray to turn on next time.

The new GD and air switch are nice too. Just not as sexy or exciting. Much quieter than the old GD.

So, backsplash will be sometime in the next couple of weeks. Plugmold after that's done. No word on cabinet doors yet. So close! But at least we are 100% functional aside from the Advantium (waiting on cabinet oven frame).

And even though it's less than optimal, the 29 inches we have between the range and sink edge is heavenly! Especially with the knife block gone. It's a far cry from the 18 inches of prep space we shared with the knife block and utensil crock before.

• deedles
    10 years ago

I have a Simplice.. about 4 years old now. I hope yours holds up better than mine has... :(

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Looking great and water now! I bet you think you are in Heaven - wait, maybe just your kitchen.
    Hang in there for the final dash to the finish!
    We have enjoyed your journey.

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deedles, what happened to your Simplice? Was it not covered under the warranty? Sorry to hear you are having problems, I'm sure it's very frustrating. I do know that if this faucet turns out to be a dud, I'm done with Kohler.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Williamsem, you had similar questions to mine on base pullouts, can you share what you learned/decided?

• sunsoleil
    10 years ago

Love the granite! What a beautiful kitchen!

• deedles
    10 years ago

Warranty? Hmmm. I'll have to check although it's 4 or 5 years now.

I have this model and in the last 6 months the pull down end doesn't sit tight in the faucet tube... it sags out. Also the button that you push to shut off the flow (a feature that I really liked) flew off and is lost so that feature now won't work. And, it's leaking somewhere inside the on/off/temp control handle, too. Every so often (and more frequently) I'll have a puddle of water on my sink backsplash and have to keep a bucket under the sink to catch the drips as it leaks between the handle and the sink. It was really great until the last year and it seems to be falling apart slowly. I keep telling DH to look at it but he's so consumed with our new remodel that existing faucets aren't high on the list, I guess. :(

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh no! That's not fun.

You don't need DH to fix it, you can do it! Leaks are often just degraded O-rings, which do eventually happen as they are rubber. I bet if you call Kohler support they can walk you through taking the handle off and finding the problem. It's not hard, and there are only so many parts in there. They may even send the part free.

You can get a new sprayer on Amazon for like $22 or something. Should be a snap to replace if they won't send you a new one free. I did read a lot of reports of the plastic snapping like that eventually, but I decided it was an easy enough thing to swap out if I ever needed to, and it's not unusual for something used that much to give like that.

Not sure about the hose not retracting, but I'd take a peak underneath and see if the weight is in the right place. It may just need to be adjusted. Mine looks like a plastic tie off keeps it from going too low, my guess is over time that may wiggle it's way too low.

Kohler support could probably help with these pretty quickly.

Needed to add: if you need to lubricate anything in this process, use it sparingly. I learned the hard way that more lubricant doesn't help. We had a lever that wouldn't stay put for weeks after I went overboard with the lubricant, and I was too lazy to take it all back apart to wipe it off.

This post was edited by williamsem on Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 10:52

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

Wow, gorgous granite in a classy kitchen! The Orca looks like a piece of sculpture with it, doesn't it? Thanks for letting us share in the excitement of your progress.

• buildinva
    10 years ago

Is it finished yet?? I want pictures!!!!! :-p

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Almost! Waiting on replacement doors and backsplash. I have to pick out grout. And until the replacement doors come the Advantium can't be hooked up (no frame). And the recycling pull out needs to be installed.

It's also been harder than I thought to decide where everything lives now as the storage is so completely different.

DH is very pleased with the new kitchen. We can actually cook together now with the glorious 28-ish inches between the range and sink :-)

Will post final pics as soon as I can get them. I'd say probably 2-4 weeks, not exactly sure when the doors are due and how long to get on their schedule for install.

So sweet of you to ask!

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

So, how goes the install? Here, I thought that you'd be finished before our kitchen was;-)

• buildinva
    10 years ago

I was wondering too!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Ditto

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are -thisclose- to done. Replacement doors went in last week, along with the oven frame and Advantium. Cabinet guy is coming in two weeks for final inspection, he's on vacation next week, so I completely understand why his schedule was so tight this week. Nothing major going on, so I don't mind being patient.

I need to call GC Monday. I asked him to call me in a few weeks when he had caught up a bit from the extra time my project took up. Well, it's been a few weeks, and now I just need this finished for my own sanity. On his list is the bathroom backsplash glass (one piece already cut to fit), kitchen backsplash, one strip of plugmold, hook up Advantium power line to fuse box, and replace a few cork tiles. Plus trim out the larger panel box and generator hook up he installed in preparation for the kitchen.

Most things have migrated back into the kitchen. Need to figure out window treatment. Bought the grout. The new honeypot I bought on Etsy has finally arrived.

It's getting very hard to be patient waiting for my tile to go in. It's just sitting here sparkling at me every day! I know many here are excited to see the MOP installed too, I promise pics as soon as it's in!

• Mags438
    10 years ago

Williamsem, which cork flooring did you go with? Maybe i missed reading it. I've been away for a while so I could make some progress in my own kitchen reno. Last I was following, you were still designing. Time flies! Impressive!

• Amanda N.
    3 years ago

@williamsem, I am researching Bellmont cabinets with a java stain and your kitchen somehow popped up! Photos of your installed cabinets look fantastic. Would be curious to know how they are holding up? Are you still happy with them a few years down the road? Thanks for sharing any thoughts!