Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
It time! Before and during pics for williamsem! Updated daily...

Posted by williamsem (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 21:47

*******UPDATE*******
Due to limits in Photobucket I need to remove most of the earlier images from the thread. I will provide a link to the album, where all the pictures can be viewed in order. Somehow I was fine last month, but hit my limit in 4 days this month. I think I have fixed the issue between account stuff and direct linking to the album. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Direct link for album, also hyperlinked at the bottom: http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/williamsem/library/kitchen remodel

We are now at demo day minus 2, GC starts Monday, Mom and I are removing cabinets today and tomorrow so she can have them for her garage.

I'm so excited and completely terrified to start! But there's no turning back now, I have a whole kitchen in my living room waiting to go in and my current kitchen in boxes everywhere else in the house. Not to mention a severe lack of cabinets in the room now!

Official before pics! Please excuse the mess, I forgot to take pics until we were in the middle of packing up and clearing out.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

And so far we have had a very entertaining experience. Some things we learned today:

The best way to find your studs is to simply drill many holes.

And always use the longest screws possible. If you don't want to waste your screws on stupid things like spacers, make sure you have plenty of masking tape around.

Yes, that is 24 year old masking tape on top of the OTR MW. Granted it did just need to keep the wood in place for the bolts to go through, but I'm not convinced it's safe, seems like a fire hazard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen album

This post was edited by williamsem on Thu, May 30, 13 at 11:15

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It time! Before and during pics for williamsem! Updated dail

Awww . . . I'll bet you already miss that wallpaper and the borders! Good luck! Will look forward to the progress posts!

o

Love your fridge! How exciting for you. Cannot wait to see pictures.

o

Oh boy, oh boy! It's starting: the world's most organized kitchen reno :-)
I can't wait to follow along as it unfolds. Good luck!

o

So happy for you Williamsen. Keep those pictures coming!

o

Hang on! Loads of fun and craziness headed your way!

o

Williamsem, we had tape issues too! LOL

We had 2 extension cords plugged into each other and wrapped in duct tape...behind a sheetrock wall. Fire hazard for sure. We had to take all sheetrock and ceiling down.

Your cabinets still look like they are in good shape.

Enjoy the quiet time right now... it will soon get crazy. Waiting for deliveries or contractors to show up. Of course you have a GC to organize. I was the GC on our remodel.

Keep the pics coming. Peke

o

I remember how exciting it was when I started my reno too! I gets old fast though, lol. Enjoy it while you can. :)

But soon enough your new kitchen will be welcoming in your new meals and new memories. Looking forward to your finished kitchen pics!

o

I forgot to ask....are you removing the soffit?

o

Thanks for the good wishes everyone! I know there are some here making decisions on lights, flooring, etc that are interested, so I will post here each day's progress. I should be done in 3 weeks.

The fridge is a GE Profile water dispenser only model. We love it! Things are staying fresh much longer now. Our only complaint is the produce bins are a tad small, but we also buy a ton of produce, probably more than most people with regular combo units. Plus we use one bin for smoked meats and cheese from a local smokehouse so they don't stink up the whole thing.

Peke, I have almost everything on site at the moment (hence the "most organized" comment, lol!). I am expecting an Amazon delivery Tuesday, and cork sometime next week, and the GC has to pick up my order from the bath place that just came in, but otherwise it is all here in front of me. Very cozy in our living room :-). Just have to wait on granite, hopefully not too long, but of course must template after cabinet install, which has to be after all the flooring, etc.

Soffits are going! We are doing 36 inch uppers with a simple crown. The wallpaper is also in the powder room, all of it is going. I do have a GC to manage the labor and such, but I am responsible for sourcing most of the items. Just about anything you see from cabinets (I'm coordinating with the cabinet guy) to vent hood, to outlets/switches I picked out and purchased. Saves him a lot of research and time, and I get what I want and also decide how to balance quality with cost.

o

I like that your cabinets are staying in the family. Good luck williamsem, I'll be tuning in! (You should be done, what, by the weekend? )

o

How exciting! I can't wait to see the results!

o

So exciting!!!! Congrats on starting! I'm ordering my cabinet boxes today - not quite terrifying but close. I am still not positive I picked the right layout, but I need new cabs and I can't wait anymore. Sometimes any decision is better than working (and waiting) for the "best" decision to come to you.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to the daily updates and can't wait to see your space in all its transformative glory.

o

Oh how exciting! Can't wait to see the updates! Wishing you a very smooth and uneventful renovation.

o

Good luck!!

One of our favorite surprises in a house many moons ago was when we removed the mirrored wall (yes) in the dining room, the creative PO ran an extension cord from an outlet down to the ground. AND there were screws IN the cord! Glad we removed the mirrored wall early on in that house for sure! It was a creative way of moving an outlet....

Looking forward to the updates!

bee

o

Lol, Bee, I think our PO were related! They stapled wire a lot here! And not just loosely, very tight and sometimes through the middle. My fav though was in the bedroom I turned into a library. They ran the cable line and phone line up through the wall, then just dug out a hole to pull them through, stapled the wires along the baseboard, then punched through the other wall to the other bedroom. And the holes were huge! I ran some wire channels rather than fish it all through, and I learned to crimp cable wire on that project and put in actual hook ups.

These cabinets are killing us thought! They used a lot of glue, 3 or 4 inch screws at all sorts of angles so we can't use the drill, and they cut off part of the cabinet back to make a plywood rail to nail to the wall, then nailed the cabinet trim piece back on and glued them together. Plus screws through the face frames, but under the hinge plates!

o

Williamsen - I will be watching your progress! So exciting!
Rube also was working in our house 25 years ago - found some interesting things as we went along...

Now - the next peeps who do our kitchen will be scratching their heads when they look behind our wall ovens. I used the area to figure out paint colors...

Have fun - you will get through this process

o

How exciting! I will be watching your progress also. We have been getting bids on everything to remodel our 1986 baby blue, honey oak kitchen. Our first bid from a GC to do everything came in 95 percent over the budget we told him we wanted to work with! So we will be doing our own subbing, demo, etc to save money. The talk turned to commitment to do it yesterday with the purchase of our double wall ovens, now we must move forward as we currently have a old Jen air range in our island, the replacement of that is what changed our getting new floors and counters to a complete gut with new cabinets, appliances etc!

o

Second cabinet demo day progress: everything out but the sink cabinet!

The sink was a bear to get out, but we won that battle. Today's surprise was a hot water shut off valve that won't close all the way. What a comical moment to have me looking for a secondary shut off watching water pour down the wall yelling "turn it off! Turn it off!" With Mom upstairs under the sink getting sprayed all over yelling "I need help! Get up here!", but of course neither one of us could hear the other.

Had to reattach the faucet to keep the water under control until GC arrives in the am. Left him a message he should bring new shut offs with him. Got to use almost every tool set I have today, it was kinda fun even though I can barely move now.

(Image removed, see album linked in first post)

Real stuff starts in the morning!

This post was edited by williamsem on Thu, May 30, 13 at 11:18

o

Thanks for chronicling your demo and redo williamsen. Such hard work and yet exciting.

Funny about the water, kinda, right? Fully understand why you both might be fully resting now.

o

Well...shoot...if you sneak over to check on things in the Antique Roses forum for a few days, you miss a lot! Glad you are well on your way. I am so excited to see the finished kitchen. It looks like things are moving along.

o

Glad you are keeping your sense of humor during this. DH and a friend decided to put in a temp faucet 1 month before reno - and one day, it just launched - I was holding the faucet and the geyser was shooting straight up!
Memories - they are what make the kitchen special.

o

Williamsen, thanks for the reminder to add "new shutoff valves" to my list of stuff to get.

I think I replaced them the last time I replaced my kitchen faucet, but they are mighty cheap insurance.

o

Never a dull moment during the Reno! Just keep smiling!

o

Will have to post pics of today's progress in the am, I worked late today closing up so it was dark when I got home (lighting circuit is off now).

We had our first casualty though. While carrying the drying rack full of dishes to the basement to dry the 8x8 Pyrex jumped to it's death on the basement floor. I swear there was enough glass for 3 pans. It was just like in the movies. Slow motion tilting over the edge, a long distorted "nnnnnnnoooooooooooooo......." On my part, and a fountain of shards bouncing up everywhere.

GC was amused as usual by the odd stuff I have for him to try here. Plugmold on one run, air switch, and some remote control dimmers to have switches at two locations. Plus TP holder and towel bar that double as 500 lb grab bars, just to be prepared.

o

Remote control dimmers, do tell!

o

Planning for the future, complete with remote controls. Very, very smart!

o

Day 1 of Official Demo

Will post details of the dimmers later, off to work! Another late night, so probably no pics of today's progress until morning.

This post was edited by williamsem on Thu, May 30, 13 at 11:19

o

A suggestion for shut-off valves...spring for the more expensive ball valves instead of those cheapy compression valves which are almost useless because they always seem to fail when you need them. Otherwise, if you go with the cheap ones, you need to commit to operating them once a month...and you know that isn't gonna' happen! :-)

o

Exciting - and I agree with cilantro - the better ones are not that expensive either - it it the installation cost that does you in, so a better one will last and be useful when needed!

o

Those valves are a good idea! Will look into those.

Poor Pyrex. Just couldn't stand the thought of loosing her old kitchen and had to do herself in.......

o

A moment of silence for Ms. Pyrex......

Carry on.....

(enjoying the progress pics!)

o

OOooo. Just saw this thread now. You mean you aren't DONE yet? It seems like forever! Ha. How fun! Been waiting for this one, Williamsem. Yay! I'm going to live vicariously through your remodel if you don't mind.

o

I'm so tired, and I missed the light again today, so here are picks from yesterday. Today they took out almost all the flooring and wallpaper. And probably stuff I didn't notice, but having the ceiling and walls open is a bit distracting! After a long weekend of cabinet demo and a 15 hour day at work yesterday curtesy of the required Bi-Annual Official Controlled Substance Inventory I'm completely exhausted. Found some bruises I didn't know I had now that the general soreness is going away, guess I should be more careful next time!

And got an email my cork is in! Not sure when GC can pick it up though. I know that is a topic that comes up a lot recently, will post all things cork related in a separate thread for ease of searching.

Also came home to find my GD and accessories, kitchen rated fire extinguisher, and knife block drawer insert. Yippie!

This post was edited by williamsem on Thu, May 30, 13 at 11:20

o

Omg, it's here! It's here! It's all here!

Cork was picked up today! Too dark for pics, but tomorrow, I promise. Orca is here! Toto Vespin is here! Btw, after extensive research that and the Aquia (which is dual flush) are solid but affordable skirted Toto's if you can get them at a discount or contractor pricing. Grab bars, paint, and bathroom faucet too. Not sure how much longer there will be room for me too, but hopefully it will start being installed soon.

Found out today the reason we heard birds in the power room was not because there was a nest near the vent outside. There were several nests just outside the bathroom! They pulled off a few slats off the cover and moved right in! What a surprise for the GC! All gone now though.

Wallpaper wouldn't come off well, so now all the walls are gone.

(Image removed, see link to album in first post)

This post was edited by williamsem on Thu, May 30, 13 at 11:23

o

Enough of this 'too dark for pictures', flash ones are fine! V. Glad to hear about progress, will look forward to pix from tomorrow or the weekend. Best, oldbat2be

o

Watching for those flash pictures!

o

Well, no flash on my iPad and if I used the camera with a flash they'd never make it to the computer! That requires finding the cable, etc, etc, etc, lol!

So today's surprise was the insane electric work and nonstandard toilet supply. It took all morning to figure out what was attached to what as it made no sense at all. Plus we found a live feed behind the range just taped up with a ton of tape and left dangling inside the wall.

I also asked them to measure the location if the toilet supply as they need 5.5 in minimum. I knew to ask about that, and it was fine. But only 4 inches off the floor, which is a problem with the skirted toilet. Will need to raise it. Good thing all the walks are stripped!

But all will be fixed to code. Love my GC! We positioned all the recessed cans today and marked the fan location. We are now a week behind, will have to wire all electrical Monday, then 3 days of taping/sanding, then paint, then floor.

Plus cork pics!

This post was edited by williamsem on Thu, May 30, 13 at 11:21

o

The cork looks beautiful with your cabs! My DH had to raise our plumbing for the skirted toilet in our powder room, too. Can lights! Your getting there!

o

I agree with deedles, the cork and the cabinets look wonderful together! Sorry you are a week behind, but if you love your GC, it's not so bad. Good communication is so important, and it sounds as if you and he are able to communicate very well. Yay! Moving forward!

o

Looks like good progress is being made, even if it's taking a bit longer than anticipated. I keep looking forward to seeing more pictures...it's almost as if I'm there, only without dealing with the dirt and mess, although my time is drawing closer.

Love the cork and cabinets. It'll be so exciting to see everything in place.

o

"They ran the cable line and phone line up through the wall, then just dug out a hole to pull them through, stapled the wires along the baseboard, then punched through the other wall to the other bedroom."

that ain't how it's done? dang....

o

Thanks Deedles, justmakeit, andreak100, and all! I'm a little frustrated at being a week behind, but I know when it's done, it will all be done right. The extra drywall work and electric are the cause, so at least I understand where we got off track. Luckily no structural issues, so should be ok from here on out.

When I first opened up the cork I was feeling the finish, and it was rubbery and a little like rubber cement. Very disappointed as that's not what the sample was like at all. Then I remembered the tiles were preglued! I was looking at the glue side! Flipped it over and all was well :-). So excited about the cork!

o

That darn electrical. Always there to give a little surprise. All of our soffits were filled with it, all of it wrong and done by some idiot. At least I expected it after the fire we had in the basement--plug was shoved into the wall with no box and the wires just taped with something. I pulled out the vacuum plug one day and flames shot up the wall! Yikes! The fire department showed me the burnt culprit.
To us, that is one of the best things about remodeling. Fixing all the stuff that isn't to code and is dangerous.

o

The cork is so cool I just love it! I am going with hardwood but I think cork might have been a better choice. What I do know is that I better love it because it will likely be the last floor I do here.

I just got my estimate back for the electrical and it is coming in at 2,700. I have to call him on Monday though because he forgot to include my over the sink pendant and electric for my mixer base. It is so frustrating to have to go over everything with a fine toothed comb but what can you do?

It is exciting to see your renovation in progress and I can't wait for more pics!

o

I laughed at your description of you "meeting" your new cork -- because that's exactly what happened to me! My cork wasn't preglued, but it needed to get four coats of finish put on it after installation. I was looking at the unfinished cork right out of the box, and was so disappointed at how different from the sample it was...

o

Well, almost all the switches are in after yesterday. A few more wiring surprises too. Today is also all wiring, recessed lights, wire for UC lights, fan. And plumbing -need to add new supply line for fridge now that it's moved, prep for new shut offs, raise toilet supply.

Hopefully drywall starts going up tomorrow, otherwise we will fall further behind!

But the two hall lights are working (though LEDs are not installed, just regular bills for now)! Hard to judge if the spacing is right, not sure how much brighter the LEDs are.

This post was edited by williamsem on Thu, May 30, 13 at 11:26

o

Watching this avidly. You went with Bellmont 1900 cabinets, right? I really like them, though the estimate I got discouraged me.

Woohoo, you are in it! Things are going to start getting exciting now that demo is done.

o

Wiring day two! Just a few switches left to install, the dimmers.

New oven line installed, outlet moved that was behind the oven space, new box in great room (removed kitchen fan control), vanity light box installed, box for companion dimmer installed in hall.

New box and relocated outlet seen here, as well as new box run under phone for fan and recessed lights.

New box to add UC dimmer, outlet moved from range wall to outter wall, hood line reinstalled correctly, all UC lighting wires run.

The electrical seems to be the most complicated part of the construction phase between all the weird stuff they found and all the new stuff we are adding. Good thing they didnt have to fish all those wires through!

Steph2000, yes, I will have Bellmont 1900 series. Aside from the pull out pantry and angled end cabinet, which I knew were budget busting indulgences, the rest of the order was at the high end of what I budgeted for. I think the extra deep oven cabinet was a drain too, but I was told just an extended side panel was 3 times as much (even the cabinet guy was shocked).

In the end, I really liked the cabinet people, and I really liked the cabinets. We cook almost every night and don't travel or go out much. I wasn't going to be happy if I gave up full extension glides or all soft close to save a little, we're only doing this once! And the happier we are in the kitchen the more we will enjoy not going out to eat.

Don't give up on them yet. Mine are going to be installed hopefully in two weeks. If you can wait that long I can speak from experience :-)

This post was edited by williamsem on Thu, May 30, 13 at 11:25

o

How exciting for you! I'll bet you can hardly wait to see the finished stuff start going in. Do you know yet if the cork goes in before the cabs or after? Still haven't heard a definitive answer on that one. So looking forward to being in your shoes but until then I'll just keep living vicariously through you, if you don't mind. :)

o

Hi Deedles, glad you enjoy following along! I figured there are enough people not too far behind me that would be interested in seeing what it's like.

Glue down cork goes first, before cabinets. Floating cork, like any floating floor, goes after cabinets as the cabinets act as a pinch point and prevent movement to expand/contract.

I am so looking forward to things going in! I have one last Amazon shipment that should arrive tonight. This is what we are living with now, plus all the stuff we took out of the kitchen is in boxes in the basement, upstairs hall, and "library".

Don't think I posted this yet, we chose PPG Mandelay Bay for the walls, the powder room is the next lightest oneon the card, and the ceilings will be the lightest color on that card.

o

Williamsen - I am following also - wow- it was only a year+ and our kitchen looked like that!
There is hope!!
Hang in there - it will come around :-)

o

williamsem, on your last picture, are those yellow wires the romex conduit pulled for under cabinet lighting connection? What type of ucl did you purchase, if you don't mind? I'm working on under cabinet lighting so your picture is helpful. thanks.

Looks like progress!

o

Yikes! I am so not looking forward to this part of the reno! I have been packing boxes a bit at a time but this weekend I have to get serious. The living room, dining room, and kitchen will all be torn up at once.

So excited for you Williamsem. I am so anxious to see your beautiful cork floors. What hood did you decide on?

o

Oh my, I'm pretty glad I don't have to live in the house we are remodeling. Been there, done that. Yeek.

That is the color for your kitchen walls? If so, Wow, will that ever look great with your cabinets! What is your counter top going to be again?

o

A2gemini, your kitchen was one of the first I followed on here when I started planning, can't believe I've been panning that long!

Sparklingwater, yes, the UC lighting wires are yellow. I have 4 sections that will be controlled together but each one needs to be powered with a junction box because of obstacles. I know the GC has read the install instructions, and we have the help #, so I would assume it's right. He has even pulled out the wall oven to make sure he runs the right wire so I can't imagine these are anything but right. Using Environmentallights.com Maxlite self driven bars. So excited about those!

Holly-Kay, I have a Kobe Chx 191 series 30 inch hood here waiting. It can't go in until the cabinets are in though because it's an under cabinet model. Good luck packing up! I kept running out of boxes, which made it very inefficient.

o

Rocky Mountain granite for the counters. I wanted a happy color for the walls since the cabinets are so dark and everything is neutral. It will only be on some small walls so shouldn't be overwhelming.

There are wine color spots in the granite. I know little of color theory, but this is close to the opposite color? Complementary color? Something like that. So I'm hoping it plays nice and ties in with the granite.

o

Thanks a bunch. I've heard nothing but positive reviews of Maxlite. I'd use it if profile didn't need to be lower.

o

They're not terribly big, less than an inch.

But EL has a bunch of other options now too, worth taking a look. If you want to order, sign up for their email list for a 10% off your order coupon.

o

Are you sure the UCL wiring is yellow? That would be 12 gauge, which you need for the 20 A small appliance branch circuits. UCL could almost certainly be run with 14 AWG (white) romex.

o

Angie, just checked, all four connection locations are yellow. Just want to check, did you mean you "could" use white or you "should" use white romex? I hope it's ok! I checked the info sheet with the lights, it doesn't specify. Not sure about the dimmer, GC has those instructions with him.

o

Looking forward to seeing your cork install. I had never heard of the pre-glued option-- sounds like it would be good for DIY!

o

I meant "could." You HAVE to use 12 AWG (or larger) for 20 A circuits, but you COULD use 12 AWG for 15 A circuits. I don't know why you would.

There is an unofficial standard where Yellow is 12 AWG, and White is 14 AWG. However, it is not a requirement. I can imagine someone making 12 in white, but it is hard to imagine someone making 14 in yellow.

Boy, I dunno. I would ask your sparky to make sure all is well. Look at your first picture of May 7 @ 16:46 (reproduced below):

It sure looks to me like the "whip" for your UCL is yellow, and the wire that goes to the GFI-protected outlet is white. Is that outlet in the kitchen? Is it part of one of your two small appliance branch circuits? If so, that has to be 20 A, so it has to be 12 AWG or better, and, as I say, normally, that would be yellow. And normally the whip for the UCL would be 14, and normally that would be white. I would check with your electrician.

Edited to add: Or, you don't have to wait to ask him or her. The size of the wiring is printed on the outside of the jacket of the cable. There should be a long string of text every so often, and it should start with something like: "Type NM-B 12-2 with ground." The "12" is the wire size, and it should be either 12 or 14.

This post was edited by Angie_DIY on Wed, May 8, 13 at 8:35

o

As a point of comparison, here is a random picture from my remodel. Note that the whip is white, and wires to the outlets are yellow:

o

Angie, thank you for asking! I really do appreciate you looking out for me. I checked today, they are all 12. The white is the old existing stuff from the 80‘s, and given the quality of the stuff we found, probably some random make they got a deal on a truckload. So glad they don't have to be all rerun! One less thing to worry about. The fan is run with 14, but all the outlets and UCL are 12. Plus the big orange special one for the range wired direct, if anyone is counting :-)

So today I got a ceiling and some walls! Only one "oops" to patch, not too bad!

And the bathroom! Except the lower wet wall, still need to move that toilet supply before they can finish there. I did remember this morning to have them put in bracing for the towel bar/grab bar and TP holder/grab bar I got. With the bracing they are rated for 500 lbs!

This post was edited by williamsem on Thu, May 30, 13 at 11:28

o

Good to know.

I am still a little curious/dubious why your electrician used 12 AWG on the UCL. Basically, he or she has to do that if the UCLs are powered by a 20A circuit. One thing that leaps to mind is that he or she is tapping into one of your Small Appliance branch circuits. That would be a no-no, at least under the 2008 NEC (electrical code) and probably later codes. I still would ask.

o

I don't think he is tapping an appliance circuit, but I will ask. I know one outlet had to go and I had asked if it could be used for the light bar that would be nearby (I didn't know it was against code, just brainstorming), he said he doesn't put lights and appliances on the same circuit. In addition to the code issue, it can cause your lights to dim if using appliances too, in case anyone is wondering.

I know he has used other LEDs before, and also the fancy dimmer had a lot of instructions. Could be default to previous product needs, which I think just makes this ok but overkill, or something with the dimmer. But I'm really just guessing. I know enough to pick the fixtures out and have everything on hand for reference, but beyond that electric is still a weakness. This is way beyond my outlet/switch changing abilities!

Edit: I'm such a dummy. Figured out I could just go see what was labeled UCL in the box. Got down there and saw the wires dangling down and remembered the UC circuit and new wall oven line are not yet connected to the main box. They wanted the cabinets in first so there is no confusion (the cabinet crew has not yet seen the funky wiring that was corrected, so knowing the wires near them are unconnected and they dont have to mess with the box makes sense).

This post was edited by williamsem on Wed, May 8, 13 at 19:09

o

I am so excited for you Williamsem! Your space is going to be awesome. I can't wait to see your cork floors installed and your awesome Orca sink!

o

Just got around to looking at these photos (looking good!) and was struck by the before wall paper. Check my before:
 photo Oldkitchen2.jpg
Not exactly the same, but I'd go with the same manufacturer.

o

Omg, wallpaper sisters! Lol! Your looks a little less burgundy and maybe a little blue in there? They are probably next to each other in the sample book!

o

Love seeing the progress, yay! What's next?

o

Woohoo! I have walls! And they were taped today! Toilet supply was also moved. I think this means they can prime maybe Tuesday if all goes well, so maybe paint as early as Wednesday and floor at the end of the week! That would keep me on track for cabinets the week of 5/20 if all the stars align :-)

Update: learned from the guys this am that some areas area already double coated, so today they are putting on the second coat some places and third other places. Plus the wall completely covered by cabs and tile only needs two coats to start!

They also started to prep the subfloor, so that's a good sign.

My walls that look like they have chicken pox

And the bathroom, which they can work on while the cabinets are going in, so I think that's why it is a little behind.

Edit to add:
Steph2000, meant to ask if you investigated more than one door in Bellmont. We had priced things with one door, which ended up being one of the less expensive doors and the one we went with, and when we asked about changing to a mitered door with wide stiles and a bevel it was $2500 more! Worth asking about if you like the cabinets.

This post was edited by williamsem on Thu, May 30, 13 at 11:34

o

UCL question solved! They can be 14 AWG, but most of what he needed was 12 AWG, so he used that for everything to make it easier when running it all. Wiring took 2 days as it was, so if that made things easier fine with me. It will be stiffer to work with, but I'm not the one who has to make the connections! So 15 amp circuit is fine. I asked. Thanks, Angie!

o

Okay, great! Makes sense, I guess. (I hate working with 12 for the reason you cite! But then again, I'm no pro.)

o

@Angie, me too! It took me 45 minutes to switch out the GFI for a new GFI. I managed to get the hot and neutral connected in a reasonable time. But the ground was on the bottom, 24 inches back, and just would not cooperate. I swear I knocked that green screw out a hundred times.

So today brought second/third coats of mud. The screw holes are all done. The seams, probably Monday. The corners, maybe Monday, maybe Tuesday. But priming for paint should start no later than Wednesday! One coat of paint before the cabinets, one after to finish and mask the touch ups. This keeps us on track for floor before the weekend so it can set, and cabinets the following week! Trying to coordinate a date for the cabinets.

I think it was Bee asking about dimmers. My fan is a wireless remote with dimmer, comes built in and that seems common now, where it was not when we changed the bedroom fan a year or two ago. Then the UCL are a Lutron dimmer with a Pico remote, so one wired dimmer controls the lights and talks to the remote. Pretty cool! Then the recessed lights are on Lutron Maestro dimmers, with one main dimmer and up to 10 wired companion dimmers. Not exactly sure how that works, but I was just hoping for an off switch on the way out, and now I can dim from both doors! The switching options available are really amazing now. EL even has a line that you can run up to 10(?) areas with one master remote, how cool is that!

o

Wow- making progress and glad you checked on the wiring.

o

So not much going on yesterday and today, just coats of mud. But it's all set now! So tomorrow is sanding and priming, then should be paint Thursday, with subfloor prep in there somewhere. Then hopefully cork Friday!

o

I am eager to see your cork in place! I hope everything continues to go smoothly.

o

I just checked in and didn't realize that there was a continuing story going on here. This brings back such fond memories (well mostly) of our renos a couple of years ago. Especially the open walls at the beginning.

I'm going to try that next time - instead of trying to take off wallpaper I'm just going to have the whole wall replaced. I like that idea. So much easier.

It looks like everything is going really well and you're a week behind - that should really be "only" a week behind.

Looking forward to tomorrows update.

o

Looking good! I'm almost (I hope) at the end of my reno. We have run into so many original construction problems it's not even funny. I guess they slap together houses when the put them up and the inspectors miss a lot!

Our favorite (most hated?) was when we removed the tub from the guest bathroom. Seems there was a support beam where they wanted to put the plumbing, so they just cut it and shored it up with a bunch of plywood and stuff. Crazy. My GC said he's surprised the floor didn't collapse sometime when the tub was full. Luckily it's the boy's bathroom, and I don't know if either of them had ever taken a bath in that tub. GC had to get creative to get better support for the floor.

o

Williamsem, thank you so much for posting this ongoing saga. I'm learning so much, especially about the electrical, UCL, and dimmers. Stuff I'm completely ignorant about.

Looking forward to seeing that lovely paint and your cork floors soon. Really interested in the cork floors because my mom is considering putting it in her bathrooms next year.

You have obviously done your research to the nth degree. Thanks so much for sharing all of this!! Best of luck on the rest of your reno!

o

Well, smooth walls but no primer. Kind of a let down, but still progress. I need to check in the AM to see if we are still on track for cork Friday, otherwise that might push the cabinets back.

Blfenton, definitely a great solution to wallpaper! I'm just glad they crammed a whole house worth of paper into those two rooms, the rest is paint with an occasional border put up.

Cathy725, our builder did the same thing! You can sort of see it in one pic above, but not clearly. Ours was the toilet, I believe.

Flwrs, thanks! Glad I can help. I did way too much research for just one kitchen, if I might be able to help, just ask.

o

Primed! Should have the ceiling done and a coat on the walls tomorrow. Was hoping to talk to GC about schedule today, will have to call him tomorrow. They still need to prep the subfloor, so no cork until sometime next week. If these cabinets don't get out of the living room next week I might lose it! It's like living in a warehouse that's just received a new shipment. Wouldn't be so bad if we had some more room in the house, but other than the living room it's just the basement (full of kitchen stuff from the old kitchen) and the bedrooms (also kitchen stuff, except the master). My favorite place right now is the full bath as it only has bath stuff in it for the most part and still looks kinda normal!

This post was edited by williamsem on Thu, May 30, 13 at 11:36

o

Hey, don't forget that nice patio you have outside - a bottle of wine and you're all set! ;) Things are looking good - stay positive!

o

I've been checking in periodically. It looks like it is coming along quite nicely.

I look forward to our reno being that far along. We have just started into demo. Dust everywhere!

o

Posting today's update a little early as it's mostly done for the day and I'm headed to work. Ceiling is done, walls all have most of one coat on. Still need to cut in around the ceiling once it's dry. Second coat will be after the cabinets.

I LOVE IT!

It is PPG Montego Bay in the Manor hall line. Bath is one shade lighter, but harder to get nice pics of. Ceilings are the lightest color on the card. Wish I had taken pics before the walls as they look white now. Very pleased with the paint so far.

So subfloor prep on Monday and cork on Tuesday. Waiting to hear back about cabinet install.

This post was edited by williamsem on Thu, May 30, 13 at 11:35

o

Oooh, I love the color! It's close to the color of my stove knobs :-) And cork on Tuesday!!! I know it's taking longer than you wanted, but seems quick to the rest of us. Thanks for the daily update photos.

o

That color reminds of the water around the Florida Keys. Can't wait to see the cork floor and the cabs against that blue!

o

Monday update: (I close on Mondays, so very late night)
Bathroom got a second coat of paint, recessed lights installed but still not functional (almost there), and floor prep. I love how the white of the light trim brings out the blue in the ceiling!

Tuesday update:
Cork is in! Bathroom still needs to be done, but the whole kitchen is in. I LOVE it! It still needs to be rolled again in the morning, so not completely done, but I'm pleased. GC is calling technical support with some questions, will start a seperate cork thread as soon as the install is complete and I have all the details to share.

This post was edited by williamsem on Thu, May 30, 13 at 11:32

o

Oh! The cork is beautiful! That looks great with the walls. How fun! We're leaving for a week camping tomorrow so you should be all done by the time I get to check back in. I can't wait to see the rest.
Really, really looking good. I'm so excited for you!

o

Love love love the cork! I'm looking forward to your cork thread, too (feel like I fell down on the job, since I was going to start one myself). The cork color and the wall color really like each other.

o

I LOVE that color! It looks so great with the cork. Can't wait to see it all come together! You must be so excited-congrats.

o

Wow! Love the wall color. It's beautiful!

o

Beautiful! Your cork floors are amazing!

o

Wow!! Things are really looking good! So exciting!!!!

o

.......... drooling on my computer. Sorry. Oh that color with the floor. My husband thinks various shades of tan/brown are the only colors to use. I love your colors.

Sheetrocking the ceilings and walls took forever in my house.... July to December. We could stand in the living room and see the sky through the turbine vent in the roof.

Yours is moving along so much faster than mine. Can't wait to see more. Peke

o

Thanks for all the kind words! DH is happy with things, but generally indifferent to the whole thing. He does like the cork though.

So today the floors got some rolling, and the powder room floor went in.

Tomorrow is a day off to let the floor set. Then Friday the powder room gets finished! Toilet, vanity, light, mirror, grab bars, etc.

Cabinets are going in Tuesday! Confirmed with the cabinet guy and GC today! Once they go in all the lights can get connected/installed, then just need the granite. I'm hoping I can go see the granite company Friday and charm my way on to the schedule even though my cabinets aren't in since they are all already on site and inspected. Cross your fingers for me :-)

o

Woohoo our toilet is in! If I ever had any doubts about the necessity of a ground floor toilet, they are gone.

A bit OT, so here's a collage, the separate pics are in PB if you click in.

I love the way the color reflects off the faucet. If anyone needs a bathroom faucet, the Grohe Arden is all brass, has incredibly smooth turning handles, and is decently priced if you shop around.

Cabinets on Tuesday! I went to visit the granite today and ask about scheduling. It won't work out this week, but they should be able to schedule me the following week.

Here's a pic of the whole slab they have for me:

This post was edited by williamsem on Thu, May 30, 13 at 11:31

o

It all looks so great! Can't wait to see it finished. And I LOVE that granite!

o

Oh my gosh that granite is stunning!

o

Gracious me! The kitchen cork flooring is bee-u-tee-full.

Do you have the manufacturer info handy, please? I'm planning to "cork" the entire house; we're on concrete slab of 1400-sq'.

And, I'm dreadfully curious...Why did you chose glue-down tile over floating plank? Not idle curiosity, either. I can go either way and am pondering profusely the pros & cons :-)

So excited for you and am enjoying your thread.

o

Hi Locrian, I plan on starting a cork thread once this is done. GC wants to replace a couple of tiles that aren't sitting the way he wants and I'd like to be able to include that info too.

Those tiles are USFloors glue down tiles in Tabac Matte. They come "prebuttered" so you only need to coat the flooring with glue on site. Cork uses a contact adhesive (might be pressure sensitive, I keep confusing the two) that must be on both surfaces.

I chose glue down in the kitchen because of the moisture. Any floating floor will have a particleboard/fiberboard middle section. That wicks in moisture and is what causes the floors to swell when wet. I decided I did not want any floating floor, cork or otherwise. Now there are many people with cork and other floating floors in their kitchen and they are just fine. We are clumsy and distracted easily, I can't count on us keeping a floating floor safe.

Glue down tiles are generally the preferred cork product for wet areas like kitchens. The adhesive is water based, so it can be affected with enough water as could the subfloor. But the tiles themselves aren't bothered by moisture. You might get a little plumping at unfinished edges temporarily, but most companies require a coat or two of poly after install to help protect the seams. USFloors does not for residential floors. I might decide to coat it anyway, depends on how easily it cleans up, and a touch more sheen would be nice (though that's purely personal preference, it's lovely as is).

I wouldn't change my decision if I had to do it again. They are nice under foot and GC said reasonable to install. If I did other areas of the house, I would probably try the floating in those areas. Easier to install, and while I know it's expected to feel some seems, I think a whole house of 12x12 would be too much for me. Plus the prep is time consuming. It's like painting - take the time to prep right and the install comes out great. There are a few areas you can see the outline of the patches, though only if you get the light to hit them just right. I keep saying "absolutely, perfectly flat", but looks like they didnt believe me. Nothing like the nail pops in Deedles Marmoleum though (definitely check out that thread before you start subfloor prep), these are hardly noticeable now. Let alone once all the cabs and appliances go in.

o

Cabinets! Day one of install, they will probably be here another 2-3 days with trim and such to account for. There are some minor things like alignment, finish rubbed a bit, etc, but I'm trying hard not to look for every little thing until they are done and have been touched up after install. One door has some rough patches visible on the detailing, which I don't think can be touched up, and one has what looks like spiderweb cracks in the finish in one spot, likely from an impact if I had to guess, but otherwise I expect the rest to be non-issues by the end.

Bellmont 1900 series frameless cabinets, Savannah door in maple with Java stain:

If anyone has ideas about what to do with all that space in the oven cabinet, please share! I have an Advantium to go in there, but it is not that tall. Only 20 inches if I remember right.

This post was edited by williamsem on Thu, May 30, 13 at 11:29

o

I am loving the wall color with the cork and cabinets!

o

Thank you for the info on the cork, WilliamsEm =). And looking forward to your thread on it. (We're on a concrete slab; that's one of my reasons for wanting cork HaHa)

Your running commentary is extremely helpful, especially with all of the pics. It's amazing how much has to be done before...oh like fixing electrical anomalies or plumbing.

p.s. the iPad takes fantastic pictures!

o

Williamsem, I know you have your layout all planned, so I am not suggesting to move things around at this point. Just letting you know what we did with our oven cabinet ...

Our cabinet is 97.5" tall (UltraCraft allows customization in height, width, and depth at no extra charge) x 24 wide x 24 deep. From top to bottom ... 42" tall pantry cabinet, 1.5" trim, 12" microwave, approx 31.5" oven, 6" drawer, 4.5" toe kick.

(edit for typo: changed suggestion to suggesting)

This post was edited by angela12345 on Wed, May 29, 13 at 17:10

o

Thanks, angela12345, that's a great looking set up! At this point I think I am just going to have to live with the wasted space. I didn't realize the opening was standard for the oven cabinets. I did look at the GE drawer that they sell for under the Advantium, but they are just plain ugly. If I can find one to look at in person and it looks better than the pics, I might get one, but I wouldn't count on that.

So the cabinets are almost done! Just need to finish up the molding, light rail, and install the extras. Then clean and touch up.

I LOVE the cabinets! And the height really makes the room feel taller. It's so nice having the corner by the hall open now, the fridge was really a space hog.

(Images removed, see link to album above)

This post was edited by williamsem on Fri, May 31, 13 at 20:10

o

Wow-I just can't get over how great that color is in your space. It really brings out the richness of the cabinets. No wonder you are excited!!

o

LOL, it's not because I "planned" it so carefully. Just got very VERY lucky. The builder was going bananas on me to finish our kitchen cabinet layout/selection. We did not have our appliances picked yet either. So, I went to AJ Madison and looked up specs on multiple ovens to find out what the size range would be, knowing that depending on which oven we ended up with, if I needed to I would have the installer remove the bottom drawer.

The cabinet came with a big front panel for them to cut out the opening for the oven. To keep our drawer, he had to sit the microwave right smack up to the oven. There is no trim in between, although there is a shelf he made that the MW sits on inside. Then he took some L shaped trim he had leftover from trimming the end of the peninsula and wedged it in there on 3 sides. It all just barely fit. It only looks like we meant it to happen that way. Haha. In fact, we bought a backup microwave just in case this one ever goes out because it has to have these exact dimensions to work. The part that amazes me the most is that the handles for the single oven and the top handle of the double ovens line up exactly. Like, you can put a level on them !!

I love how your kitchen is turning out !! So gorgeous. And such an improvement. I know you are thrilled.

Question ... How big is the opening space for the Advantium ? And how big exactly is the Advantium ? I'm sure we can all come up with something to use the extra space to make it look like you "planned" it that way. Maybe a shelf for cookbooks ? Or the mfg could send an extra drawer. Or a door to cover that space, maybe a flip up door.

o

That is looking really nice! It's neat to see the end product after having looked at your floorplan so much back when... I can never get a really good feel for space on graph paper so it's helpful to see IRL.

Did you leave room for a table or wasn't there a sliding door or something across from the oven wall? Can't remember that part.

o

Really love following your progress! I'm especially excited to read about your experiences with the Bellmont Line, as we're seriously considering using them for our upcoming reno. So please keep up with your cabinet feedback!

Looks great so far and won't be long until you have the finishing touches!

o

Deedles, there is space for a smallish table accross from the Advantium, in front of the range and slider.

Yesterday's pics are in the album. More in progress cabinet stuff. I'd post a few, but today's pics are so much better!

Today they finished the cabinets. At least round one. Need to reorder the oven frame, and they are not happy with many of the doors. I have been resisting the urge to scrutinize everything until it is done to their satisfaction. The owner will set up a meeting with me next week, so I'll enjoy them for a few days before I get picky. Also I managed to be short one pull. Oops.

I -love- these cabinets. And so far, the only thing DH has said he loves is the crown molding! He likes it all, but loves that crown

Granite template on Wednesday! GC comes back Tuesday, he unfortunately had a death in the family. No, really. Hoping for fan, vent and range that day.

Link to album: http://photobucket.com/albums/dd374/williamsem/kitchen remodel

Here is a link that might be useful: Williamsem kitchen

o

Hi -- oooh, it's looking so great! I just want to mention that when I go to Photobucket, it says your album is private and won't let me see it. It's possible this is my problem (I'm not a member of Photobucket?), but maybe it's a more general one. Thought I'd pass that slong.

o

Justmakeit, it says private to me as well. I tried last night and this morning.

Williamsem, I can't wait to see your fully revealed kitchen!

o

Wow Williamsen! I haven't seen your progress since the drywall was going up and your floor was about to go in. From the pictures you posted here, it looks great!!! Like the others, Photobucket won't let me see your album saying that it's private.

I'm curious - it looks like you have the crown molding going straight across where the window is. Is that true? I'd like to see more as to how that's all getting finished out. I've been wondering what I want to do in that area because our windows don't have any trim around the exterior...we've been talking about extending our backsplash tile up around the window (similar to how it goes the whole way up for behind the cooktop), but we haven't decided for sure yet and we're putting a recessed can in over the sink rather than a pendant, so maybe having the crown extend across might give it an interesting look...really hope you have another picture or two of that.

Oh, and I forgot to mention - love that bold blue color - it's hard to imagine being anything other than happy in that kitchen.

o

Thanks for the heads up on the album, I changed the settings. I did check the link, but of course for me it wasn't a problem!

I get to load up all the drawers now! With a solid top on the cabinets even the top drawers should be ok for granite install. Got some cleaning to do before I can start though.

o

The album is working now, Williamsem. Very nice! Enjoy moving everything back into the kitchen. All in all, it seems like it went pretty smoothly. Can't wait for your final reveal.

o

Oh, lucky you guys. Shopping was both fun and tiresome, but for me loading up the drawers was pure delight. Most stuff had never had A place before--often-used migrated to front and top, the rest back and bottom. I can see why you love those cabinets. If I ever go that direction, it'll be THAT way. Luscious!

o

Love those cork floors! You'll have to let us know how standing on them works out.

o

Andreak100, I just added some pics of the sink area to the album for you. I actually hadn't given the area much thought at all other than to order a valance, which needs to be reordered a little smaller. The window is so small since there was previously a soffit there that I'm glad the crown goes accross! If I had ended up putting in a larger window I might have gone another way, but as is I'm completely fine with it. I think if I mount the window treatment (tbd) high enough it will give the illusion of a window more in scale with the space. I did not specify the crown on the cabinet returns up there either, that was something the installer thought would finish it off nicely since they had enough extra. I wasn't going to argue :-)

So some good news! The oven cabinet face needs to be reordered because the opening was too big. So I asked about adding a drawer, and I'm getting another drawer! I'll put the oven stuff in the new drawer, so now I have another short drawer to play with. Awesome!

Also getting a bunch of new doors. While not a huge problem, a good deal of them have an odd line around the bottom where it looks like the doors were rubbed. But it's under the finish so it can't be touched up. That's not typical for this company from what I've been told, so I think maybe they were training someone and didnt realize these were not rub marks.

Regardless, it doesn't in any way affect us enjoying the cabinets for now! And even with so many doors being replaced, there was only a single drawer I requested be changed out, all the rest were singled out by the local cabinet company as not to their standards (and me, but I let him pick first). So no butting heads at all during the whole process.

Loving the cork so far! And the tiles seem to have relaxed a bit now. I think there are 3 that need to be replaced - one that doesn't seem to have stuck well (must be the tile, the rest of the floor stuck), one with a lump under it, and one that is gouged. Now don't start with the "I told you so"s, it looks like something really heavy and sharp (like a cabinet corner) was dropped as the finish/wear layer is actually broken clear off. If it were wood, I think the damage would have been much worse. At least it can just be removed, repreped and replaced easily. Not worried.

Work resumes tomorrow, granite template Wednesday.

o

Wow, guess I'm a little behind!

The granite guy was great! He patiently answered all my questions and gave me a lesson on living with granite since it's new to me. It was fun watching him do the luan template, and he says his tolerance is 1/8 in max, though usually less. All my wall edges will be tiled, so even 1/8 should be hidden if it comes to that. Everything I was worried about from reading here seems like it's standard procedure at this place. Eased bottom edge, corner radius, overhang, finished side where it sticks out past the wall a tad in one spot. And no seams!

GC ended up not coming until Thursday due to family affairs, which we recently went through and I figured might happen.

So things are going pretty slow and I'm losing steam. We are off all this week from work and were hoping to get everything moved back in, but not quite there yet.

But we now have UCL up, LOVE them! Also the bathroom is finished, except paint touch ups. I do still need to have the glass backsplash put in, GC is having a small piece of frosted glass cut, and I will get a glass shelf to put up to tie it in. Also need decor of some sort, but not a priority :-)

Appliances are back! Though no hood until the cabinet guy adds a piece of trim nobody told me we needed, and isn't normally added. Also started playing with my secret storage addition.

Some walls are painted and finished, some still need the second coat. That doesn't show up in the pics. Trim is all in and painted.

Tomorrow I am supposed to get my fan and lights working, so that's exciting! Then just have to wait for the granite, maybe the end of next week, to finish up with the plumbing under the sink/DW. And backsplash. Just ordered the tiles today, should be here in 10 days.

I also received a roll of cork flooring underlayment that I'm going to cut up to line the drawers. Will report back on how that works, I know that was a topic of interest not that long ago.

So for those following, that's what's new. And hopefully real time updates are helping at least someone see what to expect. Only a few more things to update before I take some time off posting to get it all together for the big reveal! That's several weeks away at best.

More pics in the album...

o

That mini-work-bench-pullout is adorable, and such a practical use of that little space! Inspired!

o

So we spent our whole vacation at the house with the contractor instead of putting things back together.

But the lights are working! Still need the fan, what a mess! Instead about that separately, but basically the guy at Lowes told me I could use a switch with the remote, but you can't. So new fan obtained for Monday install. One strip of plugmold (only one I have) to go in, and then finishing touches after granite.

Pics added with lights on. They are at full brightness, Ecosmart 4 in LEDs, for those that want to see how they look. UCL are off in those pics, so all the light is from the recessed cans. I know a few people are at that point.

o

Are things a little topsy turvey at your house?? HeeHee! (In case you didn't notice, that last photo is upside down) We are at week 4 in our renovation and so just a little behind you. I have enjoyed your progress reports. I can see what I have to look forward too!! Our counter tops will be installed on Wednesday. Soooo looking forward to having water in the kitchen again!
Can't wait to see your counter tops. LOVE the cork floor, and agree with bpathome, the pullout is adorable!

o

Yes, definitely a little topsy-turvey here! Though that pic looks fine on my iPad. I've noticed pics often look fine on my iPad that others comment are turned this way or that in other threads. Not sure how to fix it.

I hope you post a pic of your new counters, how exciting! I'm a little jealous, I'd just about kill to get a working sink by this point :-)

I love my pull out too! That wall cabinet is 15 in deep but the angled cabinet only comes 12x12, so it had to be pulled out 3 in. I decided it was the perfect opportunity to use something fun, and everyone that has seen it so far loves it!

o

Love following your journey! Very exciting!

o

Love following your journey! Very exciting!

o

Fabulous, congratulations! Love that creative rolling china cabinet and your granite. Love the angled uppers at the corner. Thank you for sharing the journey as it unfolds!

o

edited, delete duplicate post

This post was edited by kksmama on Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 8:37

o

Ok, so the last details have been trickling in v e r y slowly. Fan is in and working. We have been waiting for the granite, which came today! So we now have the Orca installed! No water until tomorrow am, somebody had shorting wires that needed attention so GC is tied up. Backsplash tile came on Friday. No install date. Also still have a strip of plugmold to go up.

We are so close! My goal is to get everything done before the replacement doors for the cabinets come so once they are swapped out, the kitchen is done.

More pics in the album!

o

Gorgeous!!!!
So glad to see your beautiful countertop!
Almost there!

o

Wowie Zowie !! That is some gorgeous granite !!

o

Gorgeous! You must be so pleased. Love the paint color.

o
RE: It time! during pics for williamsem! Updated dail

Duplicate comment deleted.

This post was edited by dilly_ny on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 9:58

o

Nice granite! Can't wait for your final reveal, Williamsem

o

Omg, running water! In the kitchen! I'm in heaven. Washed a ton of things and can finally put stuff back for real now that it doesn't have to go up and down the stairs every day.

Got to say, I LOVE the Orca too! Still feeling it out a bit, but it was pretty awesome to set up a tub of soapy water on the right side grid, fill the sink with little stuff, and be able to wash it all with ease. I now have 3 levels of stuff drying in there :-). That sink holds a lot of stuff. It's awesome.

The Simplice is also pretty cool. I had it mounted with the handle in front (thanks GW!). For those asking around, the spray mode does not reset when turned off, so it will stay in either in stream or spray to turn on next time.

The new GD and air switch are nice too. Just not as sexy or exciting. Much quieter than the old GD.

So, backsplash will be sometime in the next couple of weeks. Plugmold after that's done. No word on cabinet doors yet. So close! But at least we are 100% functional aside from the Advantium (waiting on cabinet oven frame).

And even though it's less than optimal, the 29 inches we have between the range and sink edge is heavenly! Especially with the knife block gone. It's a far cry from the 18 inches of prep space we shared with the knife block and utensil crock before.

o

I have a Simplice.. about 4 years old now. I hope yours holds up better than mine has... :(

o

Looking great and water now! I bet you think you are in Heaven - wait, maybe just your kitchen.
Hang in there for the final dash to the finish!
We have enjoyed your journey.

o

Deedles, what happened to your Simplice? Was it not covered under the warranty? Sorry to hear you are having problems, I'm sure it's very frustrating. I do know that if this faucet turns out to be a dud, I'm done with Kohler.

o

Williamsem, you had similar questions to mine on base pullouts, can you share what you learned/decided?

o

Love the granite! What a beautiful kitchen!

o

Warranty? Hmmm. I'll have to check although it's 4 or 5 years now.

I have this model and in the last 6 months the pull down end doesn't sit tight in the faucet tube... it sags out. Also the button that you push to shut off the flow (a feature that I really liked) flew off and is lost so that feature now won't work. And, it's leaking somewhere inside the on/off/temp control handle, too. Every so often (and more frequently) I'll have a puddle of water on my sink backsplash and have to keep a bucket under the sink to catch the drips as it leaks between the handle and the sink. It was really great until the last year and it seems to be falling apart slowly. I keep telling DH to look at it but he's so consumed with our new remodel that existing faucets aren't high on the list, I guess. :(

o

Oh no! That's not fun.

You don't need DH to fix it, you can do it! Leaks are often just degraded O-rings, which do eventually happen as they are rubber. I bet if you call Kohler support they can walk you through taking the handle off and finding the problem. It's not hard, and there are only so many parts in there. They may even send the part free.

You can get a new sprayer on Amazon for like $22 or something. Should be a snap to replace if they won't send you a new one free. I did read a lot of reports of the plastic snapping like that eventually, but I decided it was an easy enough thing to swap out if I ever needed to, and it's not unusual for something used that much to give like that.

Not sure about the hose not retracting, but I'd take a peak underneath and see if the weight is in the right place. It may just need to be adjusted. Mine looks like a plastic tie off keeps it from going too low, my guess is over time that may wiggle it's way too low.

Kohler support could probably help with these pretty quickly.

Needed to add: if you need to lubricate anything in this process, use it sparingly. I learned the hard way that more lubricant doesn't help. We had a lever that wouldn't stay put for weeks after I went overboard with the lubricant, and I was too lazy to take it all back apart to wipe it off.

This post was edited by williamsem on Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 10:52

o

Wow, gorgous granite in a classy kitchen! The Orca looks like a piece of sculpture with it, doesn't it? Thanks for letting us share in the excitement of your progress.

o

Is it finished yet?? I want pictures!!!!! :-p

o

Almost! Waiting on replacement doors and backsplash. I have to pick out grout. And until the replacement doors come the Advantium can't be hooked up (no frame). And the recycling pull out needs to be installed.

It's also been harder than I thought to decide where everything lives now as the storage is so completely different.

DH is very pleased with the new kitchen. We can actually cook together now with the glorious 28-ish inches between the range and sink :-)

Will post final pics as soon as I can get them. I'd say probably 2-4 weeks, not exactly sure when the doors are due and how long to get on their schedule for install.

So sweet of you to ask!

o

So, how goes the install? Here, I thought that you'd be finished before our kitchen was;-)

o

I was wondering too!

o

Ditto

o

We are -thisclose- to done. Replacement doors went in last week, along with the oven frame and Advantium. Cabinet guy is coming in two weeks for final inspection, he's on vacation next week, so I completely understand why his schedule was so tight this week. Nothing major going on, so I don't mind being patient.

I need to call GC Monday. I asked him to call me in a few weeks when he had caught up a bit from the extra time my project took up. Well, it's been a few weeks, and now I just need this finished for my own sanity. On his list is the bathroom backsplash glass (one piece already cut to fit), kitchen backsplash, one strip of plugmold, hook up Advantium power line to fuse box, and replace a few cork tiles. Plus trim out the larger panel box and generator hook up he installed in preparation for the kitchen.

Most things have migrated back into the kitchen. Need to figure out window treatment. Bought the grout. The new honeypot I bought on Etsy has finally arrived.

It's getting very hard to be patient waiting for my tile to go in. It's just sitting here sparkling at me every day! I know many here are excited to see the MOP installed too, I promise pics as soon as it's in!

o

Williamsem, which cork flooring did you go with? Maybe i missed reading it. I've been away for a while so I could make some progress in my own kitchen reno. Last I was following, you were still designing. Time flies! Impressive!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here