Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

Granite? or Something Else?

amck2
9 years ago

I've had granite in my current kitchen (countertops & island) for the past 12 yrs. Mine is a hard working kitchen and the granite has held up beautifully. Hot pots and cookie sheets haven't hurt it. Lemon juice, wine, vinegar, olive oil, etc. have not left a mark. It's a medium color, so it doesn't show streaks or fingerprints. I don't do anything to maintain it and the finish looks as good as the day it was installed.

For all the reasons above, I'm inclined to go with granite again for my remodel. I love the soapstone we have in our lakehouse kitchen, but I don't think it's the best fit for this house. I'm going for a lighter look here. I love marble but it's definitely out because I couldn't live with the etching that would surely happen with what & how we cook. I just don't care for Corian. Wood is also out for me.

But I wonder if I should be considering quartz/quartzite. My understanding is that while it is durable, it can still etch and there are more concerns about damaging it with heat than there is with granite.

Should I just stick with what's worked, or am I misinformed about quartzite?

Comments (10)

• robynstamps
    9 years ago

Quarts and Quartzite are two different things. We have also had granite in our homes for the last 10+ years. We are going with Quartzite in our new build. I have 5 kids ages 7-16 and they are pretty rough on my kitchen. I think as long as you get a sample, test it, and can live with the results of the test then you are good. There are soooo many opinions on this board about what is the best. Do what YOU like and what YOU can live with. I've heard that Quartz is not heat resistant and some Quartzites etch.

Good luck!
    Robyn

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Even though the fabricators of my quartz countertops said they were "tough as nails" and "bullet-proof" I would never set anything hot on them. But they do seem to be infinitely more scratch-resistant than natural stone, which is good in my kitchen. I am careful; DH is...not.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

We did set hot things on our quartz (Ceasarstone) samples, with no ill effects, but we are (somewhat) more careful with the actual installed counters.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How about etching and staining? Cleaning?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

If you're asking me about Ceasarstone, there is absolutely no staining or etching (I didn't even know they could etch). We clean them with Windex with Vinegar.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Our installers said "No bleach and no ammonia" but pretty much anything else is good to go. I probably would not use an abrasive on my counters unless I had to.

I have not had them nearly long enough to speak to anything regarding staining or etching. Mine do have a little bit of built-in "etching" due to the manufacturing process, but I actually like it. It gives a bit more texture and less gloss to the counters. And mine are dark, so very little staining would show even if they do stain.

I had some caulk get stuck to the counter while trying to get our sink installed, and it rubbed right off after drying. Mine also hide crumbs like nobody's business, so I wipe down everything at clean-up even if I can't see anything. ;o)

• melkel31
    9 years ago

Hi! We are in the process of making a decision btw the 2 materials as well. I LOVE the natural look of granite but doesn't seem to work with my design... that said we found quartz (engineered) but Cambria - check them out if you haven't already- They have the look of natural stone moreso than say Silestone brand. We were told it is extremely durable and needs no resealing etc.. we did hear that it is not heat resistant but depends on who you talk to on that one i guess ;) - I would use a trivet just to be safe if you go with the quartz. good luck with your decision!

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Like many of you, the decision is not only driven by how conscientious I would be using the space but helpers in the kitchen, as well. I'd rather sacrifice one notch of beauty to not be stressing over my countertops if others are enjoying the time there.

If I'm reading this correctly, it seems to be a case where one slab of the same product may react differently from another as far as etching and staining so you have to test a sample piece from each. And that there is a difference between brands.

I know there have been many posts on quartzite since I've begun researching my remodel but I skimmed over them because until just recently we weren't going to replace countertops and construct a new island.

I would have nixed the idea of soapstone in our lake place if I'd based the choice on a lot of info saying they were high maintenance and prone to damage. Turns out they are as easy and durable as my granite and their look really "makes" the kitchen. If quartzite ends up being the look that best suits this new kitchen, I would hate to have dismissed it over unfounded fears.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

If I'm reading this correctly, it seems to be a case where one slab of the same product may react differently from another as far as etching and staining so you have to test a sample piece from each. And that there is a difference between brands

No - quartz is a manmade product (using natural products) -- one piece is the same as another, both as far as etching and staining goes, as well as manufacturing process. The only difference among the major brands of quartz is color.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Amck, my understanding is that quartzite itself is not prone to staining or etching, similar to granite. The issue is that some stone slabs are marketed under different names and may not be granite or quartzite as marked in the showroom. I believe that is why home tests are required.

Quartz=engineered stone which should be considered less heat proof than granite. Some complain about chipping, others don't - based on GW threads.

If you're considered light-coloured granite, there are limited options. I really love the River White we picked, and I believe it to be a low maintenance stone:

It does have a strong pattern, however, and colours. For example, I decided that my grey-stained cabinets had to be with a distinct greenish undertone to complement the granite.

Quartz is a lot easier to design around if you don't want the counters to be a focal point.

You can always show the stone love in a different way, like steel counters paired with stone backsplash like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 Ideas to Steal from a Gorgeous Stockholm Kitchen