Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katienic_gw

Kashmir White alternative to Blanco Romano?

katienic
14 years ago

I am having difficulty finding Bianco Romano slabs. Kashmir White has been suggested as an alternative.

The fabricator found me this slab of Kashmir White that has more movement in it than most I've seen.

What do you think as to its suitability with dark wood cabinets. Does Kashmir white tend to look very gray?

I'd love to see photos if anyone has used it. A search on the forum hasn't given me any results for this.

Same slab, different shot.

TIA

kn

Comments (13)

• blondelle
    14 years ago

From what I understand Kashmir White does stain easily where Bianco Romano does not. I would stay with the BR as it's easier care I think.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I would try your own tests on samples before being scared off. Seal it, maybe trying different products, and hit it with everything you might use on it that could etch or stain.

According to findstone.com, which list absorbency of stones, Bianco Romano ranges from .2% - .4%, while Kashmir White ranges from .3% - .5%. I think it was Bill V who recommended getting stone counter that is .3% or less, but that you can seal those that are more for reasonable success...For white granites, which are generally more absorbent, these seem close and not so bad. Marble would be worse, and people still use it for counters and love it. But I'm no expert, so I hope one chimes in.

I've linked the chart below. Click on 'explanation' on the page (above the chart) if you want to understand the make-up of white stones and why they may stain more easily.

I think either Bianco Romano or Kashmir White can come off looking grayish, but it really depends on each slab. The one you show looks like it has a nice amount of the tannish color, too. But BR will often have some black, so more contrast and interest, which I've never seen in KW.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chart of granites

• katienic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank You for helping me out on this.
    Blondelle, I have a sample of a Kashmir White (though not from the slab shown) and I don't believe it has been sealed. I put a wet cloth on it and it immediately soaked in. The Bianco Romano (also unsealed) didn't react at all. It is finding BR in my area (3 hour drive both east & west) that is all but impossible. One fabricator has been really great to work with and has taken up the hunt for me and I hope to hear back from her today.

rhome, The chart is very helpful, thank you for that. I gather that one slab could be a .3 and yet another of the same type but different lot could end up being a .5? Is the only way to determine it's density to do the stain tests on samples of each individual slab?

I will travel to the fabricator on Monday to see a piece from the slab lot of the Kashmir White. They also have suggested Aran White, which is sort of ok, but is getting away from the Bianco Romano even more.

• alku05
    14 years ago

If you can locate resined slabs, you won't have any issues with staining. Otherwise, a good sealer like Miracle 511 will be needed with the Kashmire white. Always test a piece of the actual slabs you're considering with not only water, but any staining foods you use like tomato sauce, berries, oil, hot sauce etc. It's alos best to seal one half of your sample and test both areas to ensure that you'll get enough protection from the sealer.

• gail428
    14 years ago

I have been living with the Kashmir White on my island for about a month and I love it - 3 kids, and we haven't been using the table because I'm returning it, so the granite has been surviving snacks, meals and homework no problem. I did seal it twice just to be sure, and will probably seal it more often than if I had a darker color, but I don't find the sealing to be a big deal at all. I really wanted Danby Marble, but knew it was not the right choice for my home right now - sorry my pictures are not great - I haven't posted my kitchen yet because I'm trying to take better pics, but it sounded like these might help you now!

• katienic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Alku, Thanks for the information on the sealant and the idea to only seal half of it. I'll make sure to get a sample of the actual slab.

gail, thank you so very much posting your photos to help me before you were really ready to do your reveal! Your kitchen is beautiful and your Kashmir White looks amazing, and more white than I actually expected it to be. Your dark brown cabinetry is very similar to what I am getting so it gives me a good idea that the KM will work wonderfully.
    BTW, what don't you like about your table that your are retuning. It looks awesome to me. Your fixture above it is beautiful. Real candles? Or is it a light fixture that is just very, very lifelike?

My fabricator did manage to find me a slab of the Bianco Romano, which has up to now totally been my first choice but my husband likes the look of the Kashmir White better based on the photos I have been sent. I'll be heading out this week to view each of them and will then finally be able to make a decision. Kitchen demolition starts the last week in April. Target date for templating the granite is mid May so I have to get cracking on finding the stone!

Thanks Again
    kn

• pluckymama
    14 years ago

Gail, your kashmir white is gorgeous with your dark wood island. In fact your whole kitchen is stunning. Can't wait to see your finished pics. Do you mind sharing which backsplash tile you used and what your perimeter countertop is? (Sorry for the hijack).

• gail428
    14 years ago

Katie - the table is going back because it is too shiny and red in a wrong way (can't see this in the photo) - the fixture is lights, not candles, from Restoration Hardware - I love the way it looks, but it does not give off a huge amount of light so I if I didn't have high hats in that area it would definitely be a problem

pluckymama - thanks for the kind words - I will post very soon! - the backsplash tile is Ann Sachs Capri in buttercream - I spent weeks agonizing over it and it matches my cabinets perfectly (BM Linen White) - I am very happy with it ... however, I ended up tiling a portion of my laundry room at the last minute, and couldn't wait for the Ann Sachs (all special order) - so I ran down to Standard Tile and got an off-white subway tile made by Florida Tile - I have to say that on the wall I can barely tell the difference and there was an ENORMOUS price difference! My perimeter counters are Black Cambrian Antiqued Granite - I couldn't be happier with them - they have a matte textured look and feel, but if you write on paper on them it is not "bumpy" - very easy to care for and always look clean

• chloe_s_mom
    14 years ago

Just looking for an update on your hunting!

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

We had a small island with honed Kashmir White at our previous house. I used a sealer on it maybe once a year, if that. I did not ever notice any staining, and we are NOT neat freaks!

• katienic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Chloe_s_mom, thanks for asking. :)

The Kashmir white is a lovely slab but I elected to not travel to Ottawa to view it in person until I had checked out the Bianco Romano which had been the one I was seeking.

I was finally able to make the trip to Toronto on Thursday to view the one and only slab they could find for me of the Bianco Romano and YES! it is beautiful with lots of movement and variation. I signed off on the slabs there so they are on their way to Kingston for fabrication.

I'll post the photos to the Bianco Romano Thread I had previously posted with the updated photos.

staceyneil: That is good to know you did not have to seal it more than once a year and that it didn't stain. Your response may help others be less afraid to 'go for the kashmir'!

Here is a link that might be useful: to previous Bianco Romano Post

• chloe_s_mom
    14 years ago

Awesome - I think that you've made the right choice, as the Bianco Romano was your preferred granite (and I've heard awesome things about its durability)

• Ekaterina Brauns
    8 years ago

very fruitful discussion ....and we are in year 2016 now - nearly impossible to get Kashmir White any more (at least in Germany). Would anyone recommend good alternative for it? I was advised to look at Kashmir Brazil (also called Kasmir Bahia), but it is missing Kashmir White' s typical tanned shades . Thanks for advice !