Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccfuss07

Unusual lighting problem

ccfuss07
10 years ago

Hi all,

We are in the midst of a kitchen addition/renovation and have a major lighting dilemma. We decided to add a cathedral ceiling (apx 11 ft. high) with a hip roof for our addition, but foolishly didn't consider how this would affect our lighting. We have a 10'x3' island that will span the two ceiling heights- the beam holding the new addition pretty much bisects the middle of the island. Sorry my scanner is busted or I would post a drawing. The original ceiling is only 7'4". The sink will be on the old kitchen end and most of the seating will be in the new addition end. How the heck do I light this thing?

The electrician recommended some sort of track-system looking thing that I didn't care for. Our kitchen style is more cottage/country and this looked super modern to me. The lighting store lady thought we should just do three pendants and obviously one would be on a much longer cord. My husband thinks we should just have recessed cans. I have always wanted pendants- especially over the sink, but now I'm questioning it. I have to decide when our grumpy electrician comes back on Friday- help!

Comment (1)