Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unusual lighting problem

Posted by ccfuss07 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 21:44

Hi all,

We are in the midst of a kitchen addition/renovation and have a major lighting dilemma. We decided to add a cathedral ceiling (apx 11 ft. high) with a hip roof for our addition, but foolishly didn't consider how this would affect our lighting. We have a 10'x3' island that will span the two ceiling heights- the beam holding the new addition pretty much bisects the middle of the island. Sorry my scanner is busted or I would post a drawing. The original ceiling is only 7'4". The sink will be on the old kitchen end and most of the seating will be in the new addition end. How the heck do I light this thing?

The electrician recommended some sort of track-system looking thing that I didn't care for. Our kitchen style is more cottage/country and this looked super modern to me. The lighting store lady thought we should just do three pendants and obviously one would be on a much longer cord. My husband thinks we should just have recessed cans. I have always wanted pendants- especially over the sink, but now I'm questioning it. I have to decide when our grumpy electrician comes back on Friday- help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unusual lighting problem

You need to drop that vault down enough to be able to get some recessed lighting into it for your general lighting. Otherwise it will be very dark when the sun goes down. Pendants would work for the island, but NOT if the ceiling for part of it is the 7'4" and the rest goes up to 11'. A single linear fixture with multiple lights would work in that case. An "island fixture" would be the search term.

I'd look at raising the ceiling in the shorter part first also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here