Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aussies_gw

How to write a job specification for contractors to bid on?

aussies
15 years ago

I'm trying to put together a written job description for contractors to bid on. I have a book that gives an example and makes some recommendations, but I'm new to this and would like some more input.

Did anyone here write a job description or did your KD write one? Any tips on what to include?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments (26)

• maydl
    15 years ago

My job description was much longer and more detailed than most "samples" in kitchen books and magazines. The more details you can include, the less you will eventually be charged for "change orders" or things the contractor doesn't believe were included in the contract.

If you would like a copy of mine, respond to this post and give me your e-mail address, and I will send it to you as an attachment.

• cbreeze
    15 years ago

Maydl,Can you send me a copy of your job description ?
    Thanks
    igetcbreeze@yahoo.com

• aussies
    Original Author
    15 years ago

maydl, I would love to get a copy of your job description, but I would rather not post my email address here. Could you please send me an email via the email link on "My Page"? I will try posting it here as a link too ... Then I would you email back so you can send the attachment.

Thanks for your help!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to email me ...

• mls99
    15 years ago

This was mine:
    1. Obtain all required permits and inspections
    2. Remove and dispose of old kitchen and appliances - keeping dishwasher
    3. Replace windows in dining room and kitchen, and remove/dispose of old windows and window treatments
    4. Close off doorway to sitting room
    5. Open up existing doorway to dining room: remove wall to dining room, and patch ceiling, floor, and walls
    6. Plumbing
    - Remove baseboard heat in kitchen
    - Tie off plumbing for old sink, disposal, and dishwasher
    - New plumbing for sink, disposal, dishwasher, fridge on inside wall
    7. Electrics
    - Confirm 40A circuit
    - Wire up cooktop, hood, oven, microwave, dishwasher, disposal (cover control), wine fridge, fridge, toekick heater
    - Wire up fluorescent lights on ceiling, undercabinet lights on inside and outside walls, incabinet lights in wall cupboards, light switches near eating bar
    - Replace brown sockets with white
    - Wire up 1 additional white sockets on window wall
    8. Refinish floor in kitchen, dining room, sitting room
    9. Clean and prepare walls

1. Build and install IKEA cabinets
    2. Install appliances (cooktop, hood, oven, microwave, dishwasher, disposal, wine fridge, fridge, toekick heater)
    3. Template and install countertops
    4. Install drop-in sink, faucet, and undersink water filter
    5. Paint ceiling and walls in kitchen, dining room, sitting room, halls
    6. Install glass backsplash behind cooktop and sink

It worked well (we'd been burned a little once before on a bath remodel, where we really only thought about fixtures rather than the work involved).

• lowspark
    15 years ago

I did one similar to what mls99 shows. I simply listed everything I expected the contractor to do. I also had already picked out all of the major elements and most of the minor ones (cabinets, appliances, fixtures, tile, wallpaper, etc.) that would go into the kitchen and I listed those on a separate sheet. I also attached a layout of the new kitchen.

Note that for some reason, this level of organization and preparedness was off-putting to some contractors. That, of course, was a huge red flag for me warning me not to hire any contractor who didn't like it. The GC I hired loved that I'd put that together for him, including the materials list because it made his job of estimating a breeze. He noted allowances on his contract but instead of guessing at numbers based on what I might pick, he listed the allowance as the cost of what I had picked. With the exception of two minor change orders due to unforseen circumstances, we paid him the original estimated price to the penny.

• sayde
    15 years ago

maydl, Would you please email me a copy of the contract you developed? I would be so grateful!
    Thanks,
    dhall1@rochester.rr.com

• maydl
    15 years ago

Sayde,

Watch your e-mail.

This was the document from which our builder wrote his contract. We've already made on-site changes, but some of them will make life simpler for him so I doubt they'll be considered "change orders".

• mls99
    15 years ago

I just wanted to echo lowspark's experience. I itemized all my appliances and the layout. I purchased all the appliances too. Some of the GCs bidding didn't like so much detail, but I knew that I wanted one who did. And it looks like it's going to cost us overall exactly what the one we chose bid.

• jeanar
    15 years ago

My brother, who is a contractor and will be bidding on my job, wrote my scope for me. I'll email it to those who've posted or linked to their email.

• aussies
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jeanar, that would be great if you could email me a copy of yours too! My email is linked above but I will link it again here.

mls99 and lowspark, interesting that some GCs are put off by the level of detail and organization. That would be a red flag to me too. It actually could be a useful weeding out tool in that respect. I mean if they can't handle this level of TKO, that's not a good sign! You would think that having a detailed job description should make their job easier - in fact, the book I'm reading that gives a detailed example is written by a contractor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to email me ...

• janran
    15 years ago

maydl and jeanar - me too. Thanks!
    janran2@optonline.net

• maydl
    15 years ago

janran--It's in your e-mail!

• lowspark
    15 years ago

You would think that having a detailed job description should make their job easier

Yes, no doubt that it does make their job easier, IF they consider their job to be to do what the customer wants. I think some contractors prefer to do what THEY want. IOW, they want to do a routine remodel, give you a few limited choices and have you pick from those. For them it is easier to stick with what they are familiar with.

And there are a LOT of people out there who are much happier with that -- they don't want to do tons of research and shopping. They want someone to give them everything on a platter including the design, with as few decisions as possible.

• greeneyedmsc
    15 years ago

jeanar and maydl could you email to me too....thanks

greeneyedmsc@aol.com

• jeanar
    15 years ago

If anyone else would like a copy, please feel free to ask me directly at jeanar123@yahoo.com. I probably won't be checking this thread again. BTW, I send it as a Word document attachment, so I need an email address rather than a GardenWeb link.

-Jeana

• maydl
    15 years ago

greeneyedmsc--it's in your e-mail now.

• hollylh
    15 years ago

Maydl--me too? thank you SO much. this is something I hadn't considered. I had thought the architect would specify everything and/or it would be clear from the plans...but I would rather make triple sure! hhlecraw@comcast.net

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

maydl - me too, pleeeeaassseee? Thanks!!! terrynjim@alltel.net

• maydl
    15 years ago

hollylh--glad you got the e-mail.

farmhousebound--it's in your e-mail.

• mizjiff
    15 years ago

Maydl- May I have a copy too, please?
    Thanks!!!
    mizjiff@yahoo.com

• maydl
    15 years ago

Watch your e-mail!

• napavines
    15 years ago

Hi Maydl - could I join the list of grateful recipients . . . :) thanks napaproject@gmail.com

• jenna_2008
    15 years ago

Maydl, could you please count me in as well. I continue to be amazed and inspired by the generosity in these forums. Thank you, thank you
    jenna_jerry@yahoo.com

• caribcherub
    15 years ago

Maydl, could you please e-mail me your list as well.
    Thank you for sharing this information with us.

kath

egad@bellsouth.net

• maydl
    15 years ago

Wow, I didn't think this thread was still alive. Napavines and jenna, it's probably too late for you both, but not for caribcherub. I'll send it to all.

• drsushap
    13 years ago

if anyone has copies of these, I would really appreciate them. I am doing 3 large projects and want to avoid being ripped off. Thanks. Susan