Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ikea 36" uppers with glass fronts

Posted by chinchette (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 21:40

This is for a flip I am doing. We ordered 36" uppers in Adel white, with glass fronts and glass shelves. Then I realized thats a little scary, to have that long a glass shelf. They are rated at 59lbs.

Does anyone seen these with the regular shelf instead of the glass? Does it look okay that way?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ikea 36" uppers with glass fronts

I'm sure it would look fine, but I had a 36" Ikea cabinet with glass shelves. I kept plates and bowls on the bottom (not glass) shelf, and all of our glasses on the glass shelf above. I never had any problems, despite a not-very-careful DH.

o

So what I have are two 36" uppers and an 18" upper. A 24" pantry with pull-outs, a 15" pantry with pull-outs. My base cabinets are two 30' with 3 drawers, (2) 15" with 4 drawers.
Does that sound like enough storage so that heavy plates don't have to go on the glass shelves?

o

I have the Ikea 36" Adel upper with glass shelves and I keep my dishes on them. I did line the shelves with a clear liner to soften the sound. That said, I'm not really into the glass shelves and will probably replace them with wood shelves from Ikea.

Bonnie

o

Just curious, what is it you don't like about the glass?

o

We exchanged our glass shelves for wood and it looks fine. My everyday dishes go in them and I would have hated hearing any screeching sounds as my kids scraped the dish across the glass.

o

I have 2 Ikea 36" uppers in my basement kitchenette and have no concerns about what I put on the glass shelves. They seem thick and sturdy, and I never noticed any noise when putting things on them. I have a puck light in each cabinet so I wouldn't consider the wood shelves. If it is for a flip I'm sure the solid shelves would look the same through the obscured glass and you could save some money.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here