Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willet_gw

Desperately need advice re. countertop. Must decide!

willet
14 years ago

Okay, I've been reading the amazing posts here for a while and thinking and procrastinating about decisions for the my kitchen. Now is decision time. Skip to last paragraph for my question. Background follows in the middle.

After 14 years with a vintage kitchen, I finally decided in February to redo it. The awful truth is that I'm having some dinner guests in early June whose opinion I worry about a bit (my daughter's boyfriend's parents). And, the other awful truth is that I never get around to anything until I have to. So, in February, I order a new run of cabinets to replace my entirely charming cabinets from circa 1942 and my equally charming all gas Caloric Range. Not to mention the 42" cast iron double sink, 12 inches deep on one side, still going strong but taking up a lot of space. This is not a large kitchen.

The change is really overdo. I like old stuff, but my countertop--which started out with red/black linoleum--is now lumbering along with white contact paper. The linoleum is intact in place and crumbling in others. Ok, I ordered some Woodmode cabinets in Antique White. I'm sure they'll be nice. They should be here in a few days. In the meantime, I become a KO person--or more precisely a KFO person.

Here is my dilemma. I want to maintain the somewhat old-fashioned quality of the kitchen. It has a pine floor (originally linoleum, but I removed that and had the underfloor sanded) and it has a bench area in one color. The bench area is also pine.

For over a month, I have been thinking I would get Cambria quartz for the countertop. I really love soapstone, but it seemed pricier and I was convinced by various reviews that quartz is the most durable choice. But, I'm really having a hard time with the color choice. I actually like the red, but I don't have the nerve to do red. For a week, I thought I would get the new Cambria--called "Fieldstone." I liked this because it seemed a bit like soapstone (without being soapstone). But, I think I'm going to switch to a stainless sink (single bowl 28 inch), and Fieldstone doesn't have a lot of contrast. Not really a good combo. So, then for the past two days I have been thinking that Cambria's Flint Black would be good. In one sense, I can sort of see this as a Vintage choice. In another, I worry that it is too shiny. This evening I said to myself: Maybe I should just go back to soapstone. At the same time, I have read the posts about white cabinets with white/gold countertops, I those combinations seem appealing.

The bottom line is that I have to make up my mind. So, wise people, what do you think: What is a good countertop choice for a fairly small "dated" kitchen which is getting a countertop upgrade (Woodmode Antique White" on one side, with cabinets that will face a pine bench on the other? I know that without photos this is an absurd question, but I've noticed that this is an incredibly supportive forum, and I definitely need some handholding.

Comments (21)

• rjr220
    14 years ago

OK, here's your direct quote. "I want to maintain the somewhat old-fashioned quality of the kitchen."

Cambria quartz just doesn't read "old fashioned quality" to me. I don't see shiny as a vintage choice. If you can swing it, soapstone seems to capture that vintage aspect -- if the $$ is a concern, then how about Wilsonart's oiled soapstone? Butcherblock? I'm not much help, but the quartz just doesn't seem to be the essence of what you are describing.

Do you have Jet Mist available anywhere?

• busybme
    14 years ago

Honed black granite might work?

Like the previous poster, I just don't imagine Cambria Quartz playing into what you have described.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I didn't key into why the black quartz wasn't sounding right, but Rjr220 hit it on the head. I sense a sadness at the hurried way in which you decided to switch out your kitchen, which it sounds like you were fond of...and it sounds like you've scared yourself by jumping into this in such a big way. But I hope you try to switch gears and enjoy what you're doing and what you're about to have.

I think soapstone would be a better choice for you than the quartz. You really sound like a person who could appreciate the patina process that soapstone goes through, and the resulting look.

However, I want to discuss two other ideas. The first is one you mentioned. Red. I think the red certainly could have a retro, old-fashioned look...Like the red linoleum counters of yesteryear. I think it could be very cool and make the kitchen really 'yours.' I think that fear is something that could hold you back from having something truly special that could really make your heart zing when you walk into the room.

The other idea I had was stainless counters. Very durable, and can have an old-fashioned AND cutting edge look, kind of at the same time. Stainless on more traditional style cabinets is a great look, I think...Functional element as star, and a sharp look. It resembles zinc, which is definitely an old-fashioned and homey/pie-baking kitchen look.

Best wishes!

• willet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is a gift, really, to have this help at the last minute for my project. I googled "jet mist" and found photos and a great NYC website. From these, I can really understand why you (rjr) recommended this. I'm going to follow up to see if the sources closer to me will work. I like the jet mist a lot: It isn't really retro. It looks like something that has been there all along. Retro looks as if it is pretending to have been there, but we all know it is new.

Also, busybme & rhome410, thank you. I have been trying and trying to imagine the quartz. It hasn't been working, except for the red. And you are right, rhome410, that I might be very cheered by just going with all red for the countertops. The kitchen here in its original form (and I never saw this) had a red linoleum backsplash and red linoleum counters, with black around the sink. The problem with red for me is that I probably really don't have the nerve to do it. This is a big investment. If iI go with a black/gray, I have lots of options. Red is a huge commitment. Don't think I can take that plunge. But, I'll think it through one more time.

Rhome410--you're right that this project should be fun and a joy and that in my case it is feeling like a chore. Not much to do about that now. I am really looking forward to the end stage of the project when all the decisions have been made. Re. stainless, I think it would be too stark in the context of my kitchen.

I am so glad I posted about the countertop issue. This forum provides excellent on-call kitchen therapy.

• susanilz5
    14 years ago

Older kitchens had white cast iron or porcelin (sp) sinks. Don't worry about how pretty the sink is unless your doing a farm sink. Consider how functional it will be. If it's undermount you really don't see the sink you see the counters and the faucet. Get a great faucet and a functional white sink will stand the test of time.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Try marble.com to get a visual and some ideas. There are tons of gray/blackish stones that have red running through it. The site has the ability for you to match the stone next to a door color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Have fun with marble.com

• willet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks susanliz5 and remodelfla. I'll check the marble site, but I suspect that will take me too far beyond my price range. Today I'm going to check out the Jet Mist that was recommended. Am now thinking that I'll choose between Jet Mist & Soapstone and am hoping that the bottom line won't be too much higher than the quartz.

I actually really like what I read about Cambria as a company, and the reports are that the product really holds up well and is easy to maintain. But, at the same time, on the fun factor, I am feeling much better with the thought of going with soapstone (or possibly the jet mist).

Re. my current sink, yes it is a cast iron with porcelain--double bowl, 40" wide, with a 12" depth on one side. I'm parting with it because I need to put in a narrower base cabinet to liberate some more counter space. Also, although it is a charmer, I find that the 12" isn't all that comfortable for me to work with. And, keeping it clean is a hassle. So, I'm pretty much decided that I'm going to go with a stainless 28" single bowl.

Thanks again.

• doraville
    14 years ago

I wouldn't rule out laminate. You can get some great retro looks with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: retro laminate

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

If you are thinking black/gray matte, why not look at other leathered/honed black/gray granites while you are in the process? Leathered is not completely matte in the sense of no shine, but they are not mirror reflective. IOW, I can see the color of an object reflected in it but not the shape or a precise reflection of the object. Does that make sense?

I priced soapstone, 5 different brands of quartz, and several granites. Jet Mist was my first choice but fell in the "custom pricing" category and there was none locally that I could see and touch, and none honed when it was time to making the choice. It would have had to be honed for me, at which point I would have been committed whether I loved it or not.

One company had one or two lots of leathered JM at their MD facility but it would have taken too long for them to ship it down just so I could see it. (At one point I was so frustrated with the timeline I asked DH what he thought about me throwing the kids in the car the next day and making a trip up to VA or MD to see it. He said no, but I know many people do travel further distances to see what they are interested in.)

Impala Black leathered is what I went with (a last-minute find locally for me, so I was able to go see it on very short notice and order it the next day, 5 1/2 weeks after cabinets), and it was in a slightly lower price category. It ended up being about the same as the quartz quote I got from the same company, and I like it so much better. (The shine was mostly what bothered me too about the quartz.) I have white cabinets, BTW.

• marytwit
    14 years ago

I have a 1939 home. I went on a local historic homes tour last year and saw dark black countertops with a reddish speck in them that looked good in a turn of the century house. I was interested b/c I have a reddish tile floor and I wanted a countertop that looked good with it.

The owner said it was Cambria -- I think this is the sample, though the coun ter didn't look that speckled or orangeish IRL -- much nicer, in fact.

I'm going for soapstone myself, and would have seriously considered Jet Mist if it had been available in my north Florida region, but should you still be considering Cambria, this one that might work if you wanted to use red in other parts of your kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cambria Wilshire Red

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I respect your opinion about stainless, but wanted to show you it doesn't have to look stark, cold, or industrial. :-)

Rococogurl's kitchen:

And I LOVE the look of Jsweenc's counters...Did you see her photos?

Here is a link that might be useful: Jsweenc's pictures

• newlakeliving
    14 years ago

our new lakehome has a 60 year old kitchen. Measurements are 10' x 12'and only one wall can really be opened up (into dining room which measures 12 x 12 with two doorways and a wall of windows to the lake).
    we dont want to lose the windows on lake side of the rooms so that limits use of that space somewhat. I have all electric appliances and want to vent the stove directly outside. Does anyone have comments on an island elec. range with pop up venting, I dont want to grease up the whole kitchen when cooking. there are Doorways next to the refrig. corner, the stove corner and the

• rjr220
    14 years ago

newlakeliving: In order for the right people to help you, post a new thread with your above questions -- photos and floorplans will help the members give you suggestions. Oh, and let us know when you're ready for visitors . . . . jk. Nothing like water in the summer

• willet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again everyone for the guidance. Jsweenc--I looked at your photos posted by rhome. The leathered impala looks great! Today, I looked at a small sample of Jet Mist. Tomorrow, I'm going to be trying to locate fabricators and get prices on jet mist/vs the leathered impala/ vs soapstone. I realize that all other things being equal I would really like to do soapstone.

MaryTW--Thanks for the info about Cambria's Wilshire Red. I wish I had ordered a sample of this. What I have are samples of blackwood, flint black, fieldstone, a new whitish one that looks sort of like carrera, and a red red.
    I think I said in my initial post that the Cambria Fieldstone has smooth unshiny finish and is probably as close to a soapstone look as any of these. I would probably have just gone with it, except that the tone isn't quite right with antique white. If the Wilshire is like the blackwood though, I would guess that it does have a shine. I think for my kitchen the honed or leathered or soapstone finish would work better.

What an unbelievable help this forum is!

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

rhome, thank you for linking my pictures, and willet, thanks for looking. I have to agree... when I saw and touched soapstone, I was ready to leave all else behind. There is nothing to compare with it in looks or feel. If that's where your heart is, I do hope you find exactly what you want. But if that's the way you are inclined, I do recommend doing a search for threads on soapstone; there are plenty out there. If they are not in the most recent pages, you can google
    "soapstone site:ths.gardenweb.com" and you will find tons of information. What I got out of searching was that if we went with SS, I would want to use a company that deals only with that and not all types of stone. If the higher cost is less of a factor, then the right person fabricating and installing can make it the perfect thing for you, no matter who is frequenting your kitchen (little kids, lots of messy cooks, just one fastidious cook, frequent entertaining, etc).

I am sure you will find just the right thing if you persist!

• willet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks rhome. Just got off the phone with a co. that deals only in soapstone. Am hoping that I am near the end of my quest.

• want2bsure
    14 years ago

willet, where are you located? We are in SW VA, having the same dilemma. I like the BB idea too.
    jsweenc, do you see a color in your countertop? Doesn't Impala have lots of coppery flecks? What happens to that sparkle with honing? Is the black a blue or green tone?
    We have cork in dark and natural tones, white cabs, adjacent heartpine floors. We need a warm tone, not cool blue or it doesn't look right with the cork. SS is first option, but locally not popular so pricey and I have concerns about fabricator. I've considered other honed granites in brown tones, but our home is 100y.o., I'm just not sure. We are currenttly living w/ poly sealed plywood! I sure don't have to be nervous about it, and I just love doing dishes in my new Shaw's sink!
    Good luck willet, I get a headache every time I try to make the decision. I think my head will stop hurting when I find the perfect (affordable) option.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

willet, lol, you may confuse me with rhome any time! That is quite a compliment for me! I do hope the SS works out for you if that's what you want. For us, aside from the layout, this was the biggest and most difficult decision. Keep us updated!

I meant to mention earlier, the marble.com site has much more than just marble. It's a great place to see all kinds of stone and has an extensive gallery.

doraville, somehow I missed your laminate suggestion. I will have to keep that in mind when we redo our bathrooms, though I am hoping our remnant of Impala will at least fit our master.

want2bsure, I couldn't for the life of me figure out BB, though I looked at all the previous posts. (I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something obvious, but wondered if you meant SS.)

The main two colors I see are dark gray, almost black, and a slightly lighter gray. If you've only seen Impala online, there are some pics that show it as looking browner, but I think that's the light. There are flecks and patches but those are silvery rather than coppery. I think they show up better being leathered than polished.

Leathered

Polished

Also because of the lighting, I'm not sure what is the primary tone, but there is no red or brown at all. However, it's about the same in tone as an oiled SS (but more a gray than a blue or green tone). With my warm red oak floors, I think it's a good color. I was skeptical about ordering a walnut colored butcherblock (oh, duh... there's the BB, nevermind!) to go with the dark gray tone of the Impala, but I did it anyway and I think it will be fine.

Look at Marron Cohiba (also called Antique Brown) and Imperial Brown. They are slightly warmer but don't read all brown. In fact, the MC reads more gray than brown to me but has some beautiful grains that change colors depending on the light. jrueter has a beautiful kitchen using this stone for her counters. I'm sorry I don't have a link but if you search as suggested above or on GW, I'm sure you will find it. If not, I'll pull up a link later.

Stick with the plywood as long as you can stand it to give yourself some time!

• want2bsure
    14 years ago

Thank you so much jsweenc. I started thinking that the gold/copper flecks may be in Imperial Black? I will check out the other colors you have suggested, thanks again.

• swickbb
    14 years ago

willet I can't wait to see how your kitchen turns out! Remember to keep thinking about what you want and feel and you'll find the perfect pieces to your kitchen. I don't think you can go wrong with soapstone or JM. The Jet Mist I saw when I was looking for my countertop in CT) seemed like such a nice warm and calm black. Keep us posted as you continue along.

• sayde
    14 years ago

willet,
    I went through a similar thought process (vintage kitchen, old house) and eventually decided soapstone. Am now getting bids. Along the way tried to understand some options. There may be opportunities to have soapstone and save money if you can do some of the fabrication yourself (it is said that if you have woodworking experience you can do the final finishing on cut-to-fit soapstone pieces and perhaps even more of the job). Also, you might find some smaller pieces of soapstone or some remnants that you can combine with butcher block. The counters don't have to be all one material. You can put hot pots on soapstone but you should not cut on it so having some butcher block as part of your counter might be both practical and vintage looking.