Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judydel_gw

Peninsula/eating bar

judydel
15 years ago

Our kitchen is U shaped. One side of the U is a peninsula. We have our range located on the peninsula, which I love. (I love standing at the stove and looking out over the dining area.)

Anyway, in our reno we will keep the range on the peninsula, however, we will also put a row of 12" deep cabinets along the back of the peninsula and an eating bar. I had originally wanted a raised bar, but after reading people's feelings on a raised bar I'm leaning towards a one level. I hope I won't be sorry with a one level seeing as how the slide in range will be there. Anyone have this arrangement?

Another question . . . what would be a comfortable overhang so that you can sit and fit your legs? I thought 16" would be the minimum to be comfortable. My DSIL says 12" is standard. If I go with 16", then the peninsula will be 52" . . . will that look too wide?

Comments (17)

• stiles
    15 years ago

We have a raised peninsula that looks to the dining table. We also have a stove in the peninsula. I call the area above the stove my baking zone, so I like having a raised bar to hide the crumbs etc. The peninsula is 52" wide and I think it looks fine because of the raised bar-it might look too wide if all one level.

My kids eat at the bar and it is rounded. So it goes from about 16" to 20" for leg room. 16" is fine. I believe 12 would be too little.

Here are two pics one from the stove side and one from eating side. You will see a bit of a speed oven at the end of the peninsula. Hope this helps!

• judydel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Stiles thank you for the pictures. Your kitchen is beautiful! The layout is very similar to ours from what I see. What I don't see is your stove? Are those two ovens I see?

Wow! I love the shape of your overhang. 16" - 20" overhang! How did you support the weight?

• judydel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOWOWOWOWOWOW! I love your kitchen soooo much. I don't know why I didn't see your photos before. I see them in the FK blog now. Thanks for sharing. The photos of your peninsula are exactly what I needed to see. I don't know why the soapstone guy and KD didn't tell me you could support an overhang with a steel plate. Is this common? Is it expensive?

Could you tell me how long your peninsula is? And also, how long the narrower sections of overhang are? Because of a window placement we'll have to do just what you show with the overhang being narrower and then extending out. Thank you again. It never ceases to amaze me how the people of GW can be so giving and so "right there" when needed.

• lesmis
    15 years ago

How did I miss this kitchen too?! Stunning kitchen!!! I love your backsplash behind your range! And are those built in speakers in your ceiling?...if so my husband will be wanting those next! Thanks for sharing!

• stiles
    15 years ago

So, the peninsula is a little over 10 feet long. We fit four stools,(3 are shown since one arrived damaged), comfortably. The narrow part of the curve is 20" deep and the deepest part is 30".

I received so many terrific tips from Garden Web-I am glad I can return the favor!

• stiles
    15 years ago

Thanks Lesmis,

Yes, those are speakers and my husband is a fanatic about music! Makes it interesting Sat. mornings when the music is blaring....but he was kind enough to foot the bill for my dream kitchen so what's a little loud music?

Oh, judydel-

I am not sure how much the steel cost. When I have time, I will look through our invoices and find out if I can find a separate line item for the steel. I know my contractor did it versus the installer of the stone.

• gldnfan
    15 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen Stiles - I adore your island countertop. lol I have the same speakers in my new kitchen. Same reason - dh let me do what I wanted so it was the least I could do for him ;-)

judydel - I think you are correct in feeling that 12 inches is much too small - if you have the room and it doesn't crowd the layout on the other side - I don't think 52 inches is too wide.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

NKBA recommended overhangs/clear leg room for seating:

Table-height (30"H): 18"
    Counter-height (36"H): 15" [This is the height when you're going for a single level]
    Bar-height (42"H): 12"

• ponotte
    15 years ago

Stiles, Your kitchen is breathtaking. It is gorgeous and functional, it's amazing! I just book marked your photo album, it is my new dream kitchen!

• judydel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Stiles
    Don't go crazy looking for the cost of the steel plate. That's okay, you've done enough.

So 20" deep to 30" deep! So you actually have 30" of leg room at the deepest point in the curve?

• alku05
    15 years ago

Besides keping the NKBA guidelines in mind, also think about how close you want people to be sitting to the back of your range because it will be located in the peninsula. 12" is too close to a range for my comfort level...even 15" is probably too close for me.

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

WOW! Your kitchen is amazing. I usually don't like two level peninsulas, but you have an island too! What a great space. I am truly jealous.
    Barb

• judydel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alku I agree I wouldn't want to be sitting 12" behind the range. That won't happen . . . I'll have a 12" deep row of cabinets behind the range (meaning cabinets back to back) . . . and then the eating overhang. So if I have an 18" overhang, which I wanted originally before my SIL and soapstone guy got involved, then you'd be sitting 30" behind the range. And this would make the peninsula 90" long by 54" wide with the range to one side.

• stiles
    15 years ago

LOL! I was measuring the top of the counter. So, when I measured underneath from the cabinet out there is 13" at narrow and 19" at wide. That makes more sense!

Thanks for the generous praise!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Judy...your original thoughts/plans sound much better than SIL's or Soapstone Guy's!

Stick to your guns...I suspect neither one of them knows as much about Kitchen design, etc. as you've probably absorbed from here... And remember, this is your kitchen, not theirs!

My personal opinion is that you should have a minimum of 24" b/w the back of the cooktop/range and the visitor (i.e., the edge of the overhang). 30" is even better!

Good luck!

• judydel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Regarding our U shaped kitchen layout
    The left side of the U includes the refrigerator a tall cabinet and a corner cabinet. The bottom of the U is long, and includes the sink, DW, under counter ovens, and a couple of banks of drawers and a corner cabinet. The right side of the U is where the slide in range lives, and breakfast bar.

Here's the question. There is a double window just beyond the bottom of the U. Will it be okay to run this long row of cabinets right up to the window trim before turning the U? Or should I be leaving clearance? The breakfast bar will actually be in front of half of the double window so you can sit at the bar and see outside. If I don't run the cabinets right up to the window trim then you won't be able to see out the window so well.

I wish I had a good drawing to show you, but I don't.