Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are options for filler?

Posted by emily325 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 21:34

Need your help with some options for our 30" microwave. It is installed above our 36" stove and has openings on both sides. Our appliance salesperson told us the filler they offer is cheap looking according to several customers who have ordered them. Our cabinet supplier told us that wood filler above a stove is not an option because it is a fire hazard. Are there any other options? I want something easy to clean but no idea where to start. I will try to post a pic. TIA.

Emily

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are options for filler?

Your cabinet supplier is mistaken.

o

We did the exact same thing (30 inch micro over 36 inch cooktop - I think I even had a few posts about it last year). The easiest thing to do is to get the only OTR microwave that comes as a 36" (KitchenAid). We had GE ovens and everything so wanted to stick with GE. GE makes its own fillers but only in black or white, we wanted stainless. We ordered custom fillers from here:
http://www.microtrim.com/microwavefillerkits.htm

o

Do something else. Like a real hood. If you've got room for a 36'' cooktop, you've got room for a MW some place else. You do NOT wnt wood fillers directly above your cooking surface. That IS a fire code violation.

o

Why are wood fillers considered a code violation when cabinets are allowed to bump into the MW? Made of same wood and finish.

o

My mind went to a job where there were wood fillers next to the microwave, but the stove was 30", not 36". I have to agree with hollysprings and be more careful reading dimensions.

o

Olivertwist, that is perfect. Thanks! How much did yours cost?

hollysprings, the kitchen is complete so I can't make any major changes but I would have loved a hood!

The code violation doesn't make sense to me either but I think I'd rather have the stainless steel filler. Also, are we not allowed to post pics from tablets? It keeps kicking me out when I try to upload.

o

Wood directly above the cooking surface has to be 30'' from that surface, minimum. Cabinets that abut a 30'' MW above a 30'' stove aren't directly above the cooking surface. But, a 30'' MW can't go above a 36'' surce without some form of noncombustable surface as the spacers for that extra 6''.

o

Thanks Holly. Now it makes sense, my MW crosses completely over the stove. No cabinets over cooking area. Was just curious.

o

Emily, I post pictures from my ipad all the time. Not sure what the problem is.

o

Our fillers cost about $150.
Easier to install if you do it at the same time the micro is installed. We bought them a few weeks later, and the micro had to be removed and then re-installed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here