Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wondering about pendant lights/soffit

Posted by justretired (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 21:32

Hi. I am new to kitchens and hope you can give me some good advice.

We are about to remove the cabinets over our kitchen peninsula but will be leaving the soffit (don't ask:). It has been my dream to have pendant lights. However, it has been suggested to me that they will not look good because the rod or the hangy part (can't think of the name) will be too short. So now i am rethinking. Would recessed be better? I was really hoping for cool pendants but not if they look inappropriate.

Any suggestions? Pictures?
Cross-posted in home decorating..

Please help.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wondering about pendant lights/soffit

Just as a head's up---we removed the cabinets above our peninsula over a year ago. After looking at the soffit sticking out with no cabinets under it, we bumped up the date of our kitchen Reno. Almost done now.

I could never figure out what to do with the soffits and lights either......

o

Hello Heidi

I do wish we could take the soffit down. Our concern (and that of our carpenter) is that we will not be able to match the texture in the ceiling and will have this odd stripe running across the kitchen.

Honestly, there are so many issues here and we are just not able to fix everything. yes we have popcorn ceilings (tho a lighter popcorn than some I have seen) and the same ceiling would have to be redone down a hallway and into a family room as they run together.

Anyway, the popcorn is a small part of what needs updating. We are just trying to do some small things that will improve the overall look. The cabinet over the peninsula will HAVE to make things look better, right?

Sorry to rant, you are fortunate to be able to redo your space. I hope it turns out to be everything you want and that you enjoy it for many years to come.

jr

o

justretired...I posted pics of our soffit lighting over in the Home Decorating forum on your post there.

ML

o

Justretired - Our GC took out our soffits and the ceiling - it was pretty reasonable on the grand scale of things - It was not over the island but around the perimiter. We did have to re-route some plumbing, electrical, and HVAC but it is much better now!

Also just retired but have been doing some consulting.

o

We have been worried about our ceiling too---while we don't have popcorn, we do have 50year old plaster that they are trying to match with brand new drywall. We don't have an unlimited budget,so we didn't opt to remove the whole ceiling in kitchen/family room and start over with drywall. They have been back twice to touch up. Hope it turns out ok.

You will love the lookofno cabinets over your peninsula. This is what mine looked like:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Thanks everyone, the pictures are so helpful (saw your photo over on Home Dec, Maddielee, thank you).

Heidi.....Reminds me of home! It is good to see what the soffit looks like up there. A visual is always best. And it reminds me to take pictures today!

A2: Bet you are loving the change. Congrats on your retirement. Sounds like you are keeping your baby toe in the water with consulting. I do that too. I really loved my job and missed it and the people so just a little part time is feeding me.

Tomorrow is the big day, I cannot wait. Not sure if removing this soffit creates a problem with the soffit that abuts.....It would probably cause more problems.

jr

P.S. I re-read my second post from yesterday and it sounded a bit whiny. I'm in a better place today:)

o

Tic, tic, tic - good luck tomorrow!
Were you in health care?

o

No, I was a speech pathologist in the pubic schools. Loved it and miss it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here