Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azlady

This Is interesting.

Sharon kilber
12 years ago

A builder magazine, my husband receives had a article in it. It ask what is the single biggest change you, plan to make to your kitchen. Number one was eliminating banks of drawers, said buyer would rather have cabinets than drawers. They must have not ask anyone that comes to this site.

Comments (22)

• Jumpilotmdm
    12 years ago

I design 2 banks of drawers in every kitchen if I can. One for pots & pans 27 or 30 wide and 1 18" trad. 4 drawer.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

I don't, find that builders, are the brightest bulbs on the tree.

• dan1888
    12 years ago

Cheaper.
    Unless pullouts are included.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Builders. Nuff said. Cuz, really......DOORED CABS??

• houseful
    12 years ago

I love my drawers! I do have one small base with a door and I don't keep anything in it. It was an error that I decided was not a big deal, so I just kept it.

And Marcolo, play nice! ;-)

• marcolo
    12 years ago

What are you talking about? It's builders who made the savvy decisions that drove most of them out of business over the past six years. Nobody ever consults a production builder to learn the smartest way to do anything. It's all about cost cutting. Hence the rise of the corner pantry.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

What are you talking about?

Comma on, Marcolo, you know what she is talking about!

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Hi Shar-az! Nice to see you and your beloved commas again. :-)

But Marcolo, the article Shar is quoting stated that it was buyers who wanted more doors, not the builders.

• itsallaboutthefood
    12 years ago

I could see this would be true if the kitchen only had 12-15" drawer stacks...It's not like most typical older kitchens have 24-36" drawers as well as smaller drawer stacks.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

PS: maybe I'm weird, but I did need a doored cab or two to keep things like large stockpots, very tall gladiola vases, and the old Hobart mixer. I do love having my pots and pans in drawers (altho honestly I like my pot rack even more for those).

However, I cannot stand corner Susans of any sort and eliminated them entirely -- maybe that's where most people with all drawers store their really tall items?

• marcolo
    12 years ago

But isn't the article reporting what builders say buyers want? That's how you get the idea that buyers want corner pantries.

Circus, too bad about the susan phobia. Pie-cut right angle susans can hold anything from trash containers to tall pots and pans to missing Teamsters. And everything swings right outside of the cabinet so they're easy to lift off.

• macybaby
    12 years ago

most banks of drawers are rather useless, those little 15" wide with four down drawers that nothing will fit in. Pair them with low quality slides and they won't open or close, and don't fit in right. Who wants those?

It's not that hard to point out how those types of banks of drawers aren't that useful, but builders aren't going to harp on how nice a bank of wide deep drawers are!

I'm sure most builders are very thankful that us TKO types are in the minority.

I'm another one that does not care for corner susans, think they are a great way to use a corner, but prefer not to have blind corners if possible. I've owned three houses, and none of them had blind corners - well, this one did before I moved the kitchen . . .

• cooksnsews
    12 years ago

Drawer banks, especially in frameless cabs are wayyyy more convenient and efficient than cupboards. Even narrow ones.

• beachpea3
    12 years ago

...One does wonder where builders get their ideas.... multiple roof lines of multiple periods - and then they throw in one more just for good measure... odd door placements and windows that go too low so that furniture has no where to live..especially in bedrooms..who hasn't seen a king-sized bed out in the middle of the room or even kitty-cornered ...windowless exterior walls with a chimney glued on...Over-sized Palladian windows inappropriately placed over a port-cochere entrance...Tara-like front facades on a hip roof or Greek Revival colonial...second story balconies or decks that do not have a door or even window to access it, brick enclosures around a 36' range with no space for landing a pot- let alone a soup spoon....and the beat goes on and on and on... Some of best and the brightest are guilty too...... No wonder they now think that drawers are "over"... ..My apologies for the rant but I am constantly puzzled with what one would loosely call "architecture"...in my neck of the woods.....Wonder what historians will call this "Era"...

• rosie
    12 years ago

I don't believe it.

Sure, as said, builders are always wanting to cut costs. They probably also want to believe buyers adore breaking up their work counter with the corner pantrys Marcolo mentioned.

And no doubt some buyers on a tight budget who've never had drawers feel a need to economize on them.

But, generally speaking, "buyers would rather have cabinets than drawers"--?? Come on! That's about as likely as their also preferring to crawl around on the floor as they search for stuff in them.

• debrak_2008
    12 years ago

I don't think most consumers understand about using drawers in the kitchen. I know of no one IRL that has drawers the way people on GW do. Personally I am very thankful I learned about them here and will enjoy them when they are installed.

I can imagine a builder suggesting them to someone who never heard or seen putting pots and pans, dishes, etc. in drawers. I think many would just pass on it.

• kaijutokusatsu
    12 years ago

Cabinet companies are also at fault. I don't know how many I have looked at where there are pages of doors but maybe five or six drawer front selections.

• beachpea3
    12 years ago

Kaiju,

You are so right!

Beachpea

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Does the article explain what "banks of drawers" means?

In the case of many older kitchens, there is a 3-drawer or 4-drawer stack of drawers that are generally too narrow and/or shallow to be of much use. In the house I grew up in, the top drawer was pencils and store coupons, the second was two side-by-side phone books, the third drawer was wrapping and construction paper of various sizes, and the deep fourth was tablecloths. These were WIDE compared to the approx 8-inch wide stupid drawer set adjacent to the range, where things like coiled up extension cords were kept. Oh, and the drawers couldn't be pulled out all the way unless the range door was open. I would have loved to redesign that kitchen!

• kathec
    12 years ago

Obviously the builder they asked doesn't cook. He hasn't spent time on his knees digging through those cabinets trying to find the lid that goes with that pot.

One tract home I owned in Northern California had something like 10 drawer over door cabinets and 1(!?!) drawer bank. I loved its size, but HATED to cook in it. It was incredibly inefficient.

• Sharon kilber
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The article started out saying. What People not what builders want in Kitchen and Bath Design. There was a list of about fourteen things for each that it said people wanted. I just thought people would like drawers more than cabinets. Hi back to you circus peanut.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

Actually, it might make sense that people will say something....

Before I renovated, friends of mine (those who dared to comment) all said they would hate big drawers. Today I have not told any of them how dumb their ignorance-based comments once sounded. These people are all still friends. They love the huge drawers in my kitchen. It doesn't matter to me whether they even remember what they once said.

hth