Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sadler_mkb

What type / style of Kitchen Sink ?

sadler_mkb
14 years ago

I have been looking at kitchen sinks for a while and was wondering what type of sinks other people had.

Thanks

Sadler

Comments (26)

• davidro1
    14 years ago

Large single basin sinks. With grids on the sink floor or suspended on ridges around the sink wall.

• kpowers
    14 years ago

I currently have a KWC 24 inch d bowl 10 inch stainless. I really don't care for it for the following reasons: too deep creates discomfort when washing dishes (I am 5'8), it's too small, it looks water stained and finally, even though it is insulated, I don't like the tinny sound it makes when dishes hit the sink. I know stainless is the workhorse of the kitchen, the most economical etc, but I'm going to a fire clay farm sink next. Mostly for aesthetics really, but I love that they are a few inches more shallow than my current sink and it won't constantly show the water marks. You have to be a bit more careful, but for me, I think the postives outweigh the negatives.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

BlancoDiamond Super Single (33") and Blanco Precis Large (24"), both in Anthracite. Only had them in for 2 days but so far I love them. I may be blinded by infatuation right now so if you're still asking in another couple of months I can be more realistic. But we got them because so many people here love them (and my mom has a double bowl and loves hers). I do know that the large single bowl for the main (cleanup) sink is something that I will always appreciate. What I'm not sure about is the depth of that one (9.5" plus 1.25" counter), if it is something that will eventually bother me. I also don't know from experience about keeping it clean, only what others have said.

• formerlyflorantha
    14 years ago

Kohler Brookfield white two-basin very standard sink. Plus a Mayfield one-basin, also white. Both top-mounted self-rimmed.

• francesca_sf
    14 years ago

A company in Florida, Rachiele, www.rachiele.com/ builds sinks based on sound ergonomic principles, with the drain on one side so there is room for the garbage disposal and the trash bin. Here are the sink bowl depth they recommend based on user height:

Under 5', bowl depth = 6 3/4"
    5'0" to 5'3", bowl depth = 7"
    5'4" to 5'5", bowl depth = 7 3/4"
    5'5" to 5'9", bowl depth = 8"
    5'9" to 5'11", bowl depth = 8"
    6'0" to 6'2", bowl depth = 7 1/2"
    6'2" and taller, bowl depth = 7"

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

florantha - how deep is yours? how do you like the depth of it for doing dishes? I've been looking at a Brookfield.

• sadler_mkb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Does anyone have pictures?

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Do you want something in particular or pictures of any and all sinks?

• sadler_mkb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nothing in particular... All sinks will do... Need inspirations...

• sue36
    14 years ago

I have a large stainless sink (10" deep, with a grid). I love the white farmhouse style sinks, but we are not white sink people (meaning, we are not good enough housekeepers). If money was no object, I would have a full size stainless for cleaning pots and pans (etc.) (the TWO dishwashers would be next to that) and a pretty white sink for use as a prep/plant sink.

• sadler_mkb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I also love the farmhouse style sinks..

• dianne47
    14 years ago

I took months to choose a sink for my new mountain home. I was torn between the topmount Elkay Harmony Quartech with workbench (two bowls) or the undermount Kohler Stages with many accessories included. I ended up with the Kohler Stages, just ordered it this week.

In the end, the many accessories that are included with the Stages sink won me over. I could see how the design of the sink and the accessories would make for efficient food prep and cleanup.

First you should decide whether you want a top or undermount, then what material you want: stainless, copper, cast iron, etc. There are many useful discussions here about sinks, you can also look at manufacturer websites. Do go look at sinks in person at a showroom. You'll want to coordinate your sink and countertop choices. Good luck.

• wa8b
    14 years ago

Blanco Precision Supersingle zero-radius. 30" x 18" x 10". Large items like oven racks, refrigerator shelves and large baking sheets present no problems. Big is definitely better!

• sumnerfan
    14 years ago

dianne47 What size stages sink did you get?

• rbse
    14 years ago

This is what we finally decided on. It will be installed with absolute black in about a week (hopefully). It is absolutely beautiful, exactly what we were looking for and the price was right.
    http://www.expressdecor.com/product_info.php/products_id/1976

• rufinorox
    14 years ago

i have the Ticor S112 stainless single bowl sink.

• kmsparty
    14 years ago

wa8b what kind of countertop do you have? I absolutely love it!

• michellemarie
    14 years ago

I have a double bowl Ticor in my island with the removable grids. So glad I went double bowl because I can use one side to wash and put the clean dishes to air dry on the other side. I have only been using it for about 3 weeks now as my kitchen is not done, but I love it. I read about them on this site.
    My under the kitchen window sink on my perimeter cabinetry is a 30" single bowl farmhouse style copper sink.
    I think I will be using the stainless Ticor as my main sink.
    So many choices and it took me forever to decide. Good Luck!

• sumnerfan
    14 years ago

michellemarie, I would love to see pictures of both your sinks.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Sorry I didn't get mine posted sooner. I forgot what with unpacking boxes. I'm glad someone else bumped it back up.

Here are my anthracite silgranit sinks, with Impala Black leathered counters, and a baby. (Had to try it once, but not really a good place to bathe her.

Prep sink

Clean up sink

Baby sink

• wa8b
    14 years ago

kmsparty -- It's soapstone. The photo above was taken in late 2005, shortly after it was installed during a major remodel. The stone has darkened up some since then, after repeated oilings and daily use. It's still a greenish-gray color, just darker. It's "Classic Original Soapstone", fabricated by Michael Homchick Stoneworks in Kenmore, WA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Michael Homchick Stoneworks

• Buehl
    14 years ago

At my Cleanup Sink, I have a double-bowl stainless steel sink from Ticor (S405D) with a Kohler Vinnata brushed nickel, pull down faucet. The grids are included with the sink.

My prep sink is a Kohler 5-sided stainless steel sink with a Kohler Fairfax brushed nickel, pull out faucet. I had to purchase the grid separately.

Main sink:

(without decorations)

Prep Sink:

• dianne47
    14 years ago

sumnerfan - I'm getting the 45-inch Stages sink. I had to try several online vendors, apparently they are in short supply right now. The best price I found was $704.95 (at wscdirect.com), but that vendor said they would not have stock for 3-4 weeks. The next vendor I tried (I worked my way down a list by price) called Kohler and was told there will be no availability for the Stages 45 until July!

I figured I better buy from whomever had the sink in stock now. I paid $844.95 (argh) from overstockdeals.com. They have a price match, even after the purchase - within 30 days, but the item must be in stock at the other vendor. So I will keep calling back to see if the sink is available at a lower price, then try for the price match. What a headache, but I'll do anything for a buck, in this case $140.

I did get an e-mail with the freight company tracking number. The sink shipped 2 days after I ordered it and should be here by the middle of this week. I dilly-dallied around on buying the sink and made up my mind at the last minute. I really regret waiting, it ended up costing me money, but at least I'm getting the sink quickly. On the day I ordered (4/12/10) they had eight Stages 45 sinks at overstockdeals.

• unismartin
    14 years ago

My choice is Ticor S112 stainless single bowl sink.It is large enough to carry all the vessels and it's grilled type makes us to keep clean the sink. It's a best
    modular kitchen needs

• prill
    14 years ago

Here's a pic of my Fankie farm sink. I love the large single sink. Easy to put all kinds of pans and cookie sheets in it to clean - even grandsons!

• shelayne
    14 years ago

Here is a photo of my single Westbrass Mitrani Titan Quartz sink. It is 30" wide, 20" front to back, and 10" deep. I have a sink grate for it, but don't use it all the time. I've only had the sink installed for 10 months, but I love it so far. (We still have no cabinet doors-LOL)

Here is my prep sink. It is a 18" round copper bowl, 9" deep.