Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Floating shelf installtion

Posted by eleena (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 21:22

I read every thread I could find here about floating shelves as well as Gooled them and I am still confused about the installation. I even asked the guys who installed the kitchen and they were not sure either.

I know that such are attached to the studs. I have seen some pix taken in kitchens gutted to studs so the studs were exposed.

Does it mean that in order to install a "floating" shelf (so the brackets are invisible), I need to open the wall?

Also, if the shelves will have a wall one side and a tall cabinet on the other side, is there a way to attache them without opening the wall?

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Floating shelf installtion

You don't need to open the drywall. Just use a stud-finder(or knock) until you find where the studs are located. Then drill a pilot hole, put in a wall anchor and attach the bracket with screws. Our shelves needed 3screws for each bracket. The shelves go on the bracket and there is usually a small screw underneath to hold them in place.

o
RE: Floating shelf installtion

We had a floating shelf installed over our buffet. It's a solid slab of black walnut, so we needed to make sure it was securely hung on the wall. DH and a contractor friend drove lag bolts into some of the studs, and then cut the heads off the bolts. They used a drill press to drill holes along one edge of the shelf (just slightly larger than the diameter of the lag bolts so they could slide the shelf onto them--about 1/16"-1/8" larger). Then they slid the shelf onto the headless lag bolts. The shelf isn't going anywhere (until we ever have to move, and then the bolts will be cut flush with the wall, and the wall will be spackled-over, and done).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here