Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clarabelled

kitchen bumpout over existing deck vs. into garage?

clarabelled
10 years ago

Hello,
I am trying to enlarge my kitchen to make it more functional and hopefully add an island. As it is, there is no counter space around the range for prepping or serving, and very little space around the sink for dirty dishes. It is very unfriendly to an enthusiastic home cook, which is what I used to be!

The kitchen shares a wall with a very large garage, so we thought we could expand into the garage in order to keep costs down. We would get a max of 60 square feet. A friend who is an architect did a plan and decided it made more sense to expand onto our deck, adding a bump out. It seems that the bump out would cost considerably more than the garage expansion and cost is definitely an issue. Mostly I'm concerned about having to build a foundation, which seems like it costs a fortune.

Does anyone have experience with either bumping out onto an existing deck or knocking down a wall to expand into the garage? The garage space is angled next to the kitchen so it would be an unusually shaped space (not a perfect rectangle), which is why I think our architect recommended the bumpout option.

Would love to hear from anyone who has done either of these or has any experience with either methods of expansion. Would it be advisable at this point to talk to a contractor and get their opinion?

Thanks so much for any advice and insight!

Comments (4)