Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katieob_gw

Finally finished~photos

katieob
11 years ago

Hi all.

It's been a long year, but we moved in a few weeks ago and we're so thrilled!

Again, I'm so thankful to all the gracious forum members here. I get so much great information and inspiration here and your encouragement with Round 2 has been so helpful!

This is a whole house remodel of a 1940's Cape that we purchased last Spring after selling our house. The kitchen is an addition. We still need to paint the window trim and wall above sink, but who knows when....Also, the black front and back door will have better handle hardware soon, just so you know...

I still seem to have giant pics from photobucket, apologies.

Information

Cabs~ Shaker, inset, BM White Dove, custom (same cabinetmaker)

Counters~ Danby Marble on perimeter and walnut on island

Backsplash~Walker Zanger Gramercy Park in Heirloom White

Sink~Shaw's 30 inch

Faucet~Perrin and Rowe, polished nickel

Pendants~ Circa Lighting Small Yoke, polished nickel

Hardware~All PN. Schaub (thanks kateskouros) for appliances, RH Gilmore pulls, RH Glass knobs, Rejuvenation utility latches, Cliffside Brass icebox latches

Stools~Cottage Maine

Fridge~Liebherr

Range~Viking (mistake, me thinks)

Pot filler~Rohl Swing Arm

DW~ Miele (I think Inspira?)

Fridge Drawers~Kitchen Aid (Love, love,love)

Microwave Drawer~Sharp 24 inch

Thanks for looking !!

Love the Liebherr fridge, thanks Marthavila.

Banquette. Will eventually have cushions, etc.

View from kitchen to front door

Comments (102)

• carybk
    11 years ago

Very beautiful.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Finally? I think you've finished 2 kitchens while we continue work on ours!

Another success. Gorgeous. I'm totally jealous of that hallway from the front door to the kitchen. Love the brick, the wood bench, and all the glorious storage!

The trim around the hood that connects with the island top and hall bench is perfection.

• colorfast
    11 years ago

This is such a lovely kitchen. You have done great things here. Your finishes, and I've got to say your banquette just seems like home to me. I am amazed that you did brick for a flooring. I never would have thought of it but wow.

I apparently missed your previous remodeled kitchen and couldn't find it with a search. Could someone post a link?

• cardamon
    11 years ago

Hi Katieob, I think your new kitchen is beautiful. Now that you have done both do you like this one better because of different things you did and improved or are they both the same? I just had to ask because in my mind looking at the pictures of the two kitchens they both look so nice. Best wishes in your new home.

• anrol
    11 years ago

So beautiful! I remember you being sad when you had to leave your last kitchen. (and rightly so..... it was lovely!) Now you have created this beautiful new space for you and your family. It is truly beautiful and you should be very proud of your vision! Enjoy it! It looks like a a lovely setting outside, too. SIGH............

• mythreesonsnc
    11 years ago

I agree with all of the posters --- It is an amazing kitchen.... drool, drool, drool! I thought your previous kitchen would be hard to top, and wow, you did not disappoint, this is fabulous!

I also agree about the walnut that you carried through the space, it is really beautiful -- I especially love it on the mantel hood. It adds so much character to the new space.

What an encore, I hope to see pics of the rest of the house too!

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Lovely, and what everyone else said.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Dear Katieob,

What a delight, after a very long day at work to come home to find ...
    your beautiful kitchen.

Bravo: now you have inspired us with two scrumptious kitchens.

I truly love everything about it.
    With the walnut it has a warmth/soul
    that your previous (equally lovely) kitchen
    didn't have in the same way.

How thick is that gorgeous hunk of walnut?
    (I'm still wishing I had gone thicker on my walnut island top.)

I love the triple windows on the sink wall and your breakfast nook.

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

Charming. Beautiful. Serene. Gorgeous!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• hsw_sc
    11 years ago

Another beautiful kitchen, katieob! Love, love, love it!

• MIssyV
    11 years ago

Your kitchen looks like a breath of fresh air, so warm, inviting ....love it !! Thanks for sharing it with all of us. Enjoy your new space.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Wow! Gorgeous!

• prill
    11 years ago

Katie - sorry I never had time to post yesterday, but I've been checking in every day since you said you'd be posting your finished kitchen.

As the others have said, way too many things to love.

Love the glass end cabinets.
    Love the walnut that carries through.
    Love that beautiful eating area. What a wonderful place to sit
    and be able to look out at your yard.
    Love the lockers.
    Love the brick floor.
    Love the pine floor.
    Really, love everything!

Congratulations on another wonderful job.
    I hope you'll get to enjoy this kitchen for many, many years.
    Prill

• hlove
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I just love the thin wood band around your hood, as well as the whole feel of the room with that gorgeous island. Congratulations!

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! Everything is so warm and inviting yet elegant!

• Susied3
    11 years ago

It's beautiful! Love everything about it.

Can you tell more about your walnut top? Who made it? Was it cabinetmaker?

The brick in the entry?
    Love the way it flows, and how you tied it to the kitchen. Great job!

• hellonasty
    11 years ago

I can't get past the brick in the hall. It's breathtaking!!!! Coolest hallway EVA! Is that wallpaper down on the wall? Your new kitchen in amazingly delightful. Airy, bright but natural, everything works perfectly yet looks unplanned. Old yet new. Sitting in the banquette in the morning must thrill you to no end. I'm a little jealous! :) Enjoy it!!

• sayde
    11 years ago

Perfect. Everything seems to fit together so beautifully. All the details - the gorgeous glass cabinets, the hood, the brick floor, the pretty WZ tile, the counters, the wood top on the island-- are wonderful in themselves but what it really special is the overall affect of the kitchen -- no one element seizes your attention -- you just get a wonderful feeling about the room and only then do you see the details.

This deserves to be bumped, and bumped, and bumped.

• homeagain
    11 years ago

LOVE it! Enjoyed the last one too, but this one just calls out to me. You have an amazing skill and if you are not a kitchen designer...you should be.

When I opened your post and saw your photos my first thought was ..... that's my kitchen! So close to what I had in my head what my dream kitchen will be when/if we ever get around to building.

My favorites....in no particular order

Glass Cabinets
    Windows to counter
    Thick marble and walnut
    The perfect subways
    Brick floor
    Hint of wallpaper in back hall
    Hardwood floors

• Bon22
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!!

• cocokey
    11 years ago

So I was waiting for this reveal every day... I visit my sister for a much needed construction break and here it is!
    You are a very talented kitchen designer as i was certain i could not love another kitchen as much as your first... and now I can no longer say that... This is a beautiful space with gorgeous attention to detail. Words cannot convey how talented you are... and yes you should begin charging for your work after the kids get into school as you will do well!~.
    So, can you fill me in on the details of your ceiling height and measure of trim above the top cabinet ( looks like an inch) and crown( 3 1/2 inches?) as I am in a vertically challenged space and could use some real numbers to work with! As I recall your cabs are 42 inches- please correct me if i'm wrong!
    Enjoy ( it would be difficult not to!)

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

It's beautiful! I love the details, like the corbels on each side of the range hood and the side pieces below the uppers. Do you have pullouts below the corbels? Love your brick floors too.

• niffy
    11 years ago

It's beautiful! I thought I would miss your hood but I absolutely love what you did with the new one- and everything else! More marble photos please... And the rest of the house! You are not only a talented designer but VERY organized, as the house is clearly in great shape for someone who just moved back in. More, more.....

• bellajourney
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness, it is Stunning!!! I'm in Love!!! Wishing you countless years of happiness in your beautiful creation! :)

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Wow, just beautiful!! Congrats on a job well done!

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

simply perfection!

• katieob
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi all,

Cannot thank you enough for all the kind words!

I promise to post a follow up soon with replies and info requested-I'm just in the weeds this week. ( 3 year old got tonsils out.....)

Be back soon and thank you!!!!!!!!
    Katie

• michelle16
    11 years ago

Katie, love both your kitchens, the glass uppers and walnut trim on this one make it extra special!! Can you tell me what size your slab upper draws are,I don't need to know how wide they go, just wanted to know from top to bottom what the length is.Also where did you get the glass canisters with the labels? Love them!!Thanks, Michelle

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

It's perfect, and I absolutely love it! Great job! Now I have stool envy, but I have to get over it because I already have mine.

Just a little disappointed the cup pulls are no longer catching Cheerios...that was too funny.

• 1929Spanish
    11 years ago

I was on a business trip last week and missed these photos. Great job....your kitchen is beautiful!

• plumberry
    11 years ago

the epitome of "home sweet home". So lovely! congrats!

• gcica
    11 years ago

Absolutely love your kitchen! I have tons of questions:

I am in the process of picking out my countertops and would like to know where you got yours wood from. How did you pick the color/type? Is it sealed? Waterlox?
    What is the difference between calcutta marble and danby?
    What size is your subway tile? What is your opinion on beveled subway tile?

You have gorgeous taste!!!!!!

• NuggetBrain
    11 years ago

That is absolutely stunning, and from what I can see of the rest of the house you have fantastic taste.

• emy315
    11 years ago

Amazing kitchen!!! I, like everyone else, loved you first kitchen. It was my inspirational kitchen. I now love your new kitchen as well. You should really go into the design business, as you are very talented and have an amazing eye!!! Hope to see more photos of the rest of the house! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

• catlover5
    11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Enjoy . . hope the baby is feeling better.

• cindyinct
    11 years ago

Absolutely georgeous kitchen!

Just wondering where is her first kitchen... I'd love to see it as well.

• owataqt
    11 years ago

That is so me... You have my want kitchen...love it..love it...love it

What color did you paint your cabinets?
    Huggles
    And congratos

• slush1422
    11 years ago

cindyinct - Here is the link to more pics of Katie's previous kitchen. It was one of my inspiration kitchens. She really has a gift of making gorgeous kitchens!

Here is a link that might be useful: Katieob's previous kitchen

• cindyinct
    11 years ago

Why would anyone want to leave her other house? That kitchen is gorgeous too! Thanks for the link. I had seen it before but didn't connect it to Katie.

• cindyinct
    11 years ago

Katie, you must like the microwave drawer. I'm guessing you'd recommend it. Also, I was told I wouldn't like a panel on a dishwasher... How do you like yours?

• minneapolisite
    11 years ago

So much to love! I'm curious how long your hallway locker bench is?

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

I just love both kitchens and finding they are both BM Dove White has me love the color for cabinets like I love BM Cloud White. The kitchen is so warm and beautiful. You sure have a talent for putting together a kitchen with a wow factor. Thank you for sharing.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

P.S. What color paint is above the door and above the wainscoting? I love the shade of that neutral paint color.

• twingle
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. Enjoy!!!

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

I had to look at the kitchen again because now I am thinking maybe I will paint my cabinets BM Dove white if I don't buy new cabinets. Thank you again for sharing. But when you have time, what is the wall color paint used?

• gcica
    11 years ago

What color are your kitchen walls and surrounding room? Looking for a similar neutral.

• DebbieLynne
    10 years ago

This kitchen is such an inspiration to me! We are about to put an offer on a 1942 cottage in pretty bad shape. But there's an O'keefe & Merrit stove that I will keep and have refurbished. I work as a nanny/cook in a very upscale home, so I know I want elegant, just in a smaller space. I wish I could just hire Katie to come to L.A. and say, "Just make my kitchen exactly like yours!" I especially love the refrigerator. Are the bottom drawers the freezer part? Or is it right side fridge and left side freezer? Thank you!

• kelleg69
    8 years ago

Love your space. Not sure if you have answered this, but who makes the wallpaper? It is great. Also, I am considering the Liebherr fridge. How do you like it?

• rebeccamomof123
    8 years ago

Wow!!! This is truly a designer kitchen and something you will surely love for years to come. Apologies if you already shared this info, but the entry-way cabinets/bench, is that storage for coats, stuff, etc. What is the width of your hallway? That storage is to die for!!!

• kay
    3 years ago

@katieob Hi, just seeing your kitchen now. I must say what a timeless kitchen! Here it is 8 years later and totally still in style. Very classic! How did you end up liking your brick flooring?