Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally finished~photos

Posted by katieob (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 21:20

Hi all.

It's been a long year, but we moved in a few weeks ago and we're so thrilled!
Again, I'm so thankful to all the gracious forum members here. I get so much great information and inspiration here and your encouragement with Round 2 has been so helpful!

This is a whole house remodel of a 1940's Cape that we purchased last Spring after selling our house. The kitchen is an addition. We still need to paint the window trim and wall above sink, but who knows when....Also, the black front and back door will have better handle hardware soon, just so you know...

I still seem to have giant pics from photobucket, apologies.

Information
Cabs~ Shaker, inset, BM White Dove, custom (same cabinetmaker)
Counters~ Danby Marble on perimeter and walnut on island
Backsplash~Walker Zanger Gramercy Park in Heirloom White
Sink~Shaw's 30 inch
Faucet~Perrin and Rowe, polished nickel
Pendants~ Circa Lighting Small Yoke, polished nickel
Hardware~All PN. Schaub (thanks kateskouros) for appliances, RH Gilmore pulls, RH Glass knobs, Rejuvenation utility latches, Cliffside Brass icebox latches
Stools~Cottage Maine
Fridge~Liebherr
Range~Viking (mistake, me thinks)
Pot filler~Rohl Swing Arm
DW~ Miele (I think Inspira?)
Fridge Drawers~Kitchen Aid (Love, love,love)
Microwave Drawer~Sharp 24 inch

Thanks for looking !!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Love the Liebherr fridge, thanks Marthavila.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Banquette. Will eventually have cushions, etc.
Photobucket

Photobucket

View from kitchen to front door
Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally finished~photos

What a lovely kitchen, congratulations. I really like the glass cabinets, it really lets the light bounce around. Love that fridge also. Your eating area is so inviting, and looks like you have a great view out the other window also. Good job of blending the addition into the existing house. Well done!

o

Your kitchen is stunning! May I ask what kind of finish is on your cabinets and what size is your kitchen? You did a fantastic job!

o

Wow...just beautiful. I love it all, but I loved your other house/kitchen too! You must be near the water somewhere...
Congrats, I'll be looking again and again!

o

Breathtaking! What a beautiful kitchen!!!
How deep are you benches in the breakfast area? Are you planning to put cushions on the seats?

o

GOR-GEOUS!

How do you like the brick on the floor?

Kathe

o

Katie - Absolutely stunning!! I love all of the details that ring true to your first kitchen but then all the things you did differently!! Love the walnut accents and the flooring and... everything! Enjoy and hopefully it'll be a while before you get the bug to do it all again!

o

Beautiful!!!

Can I ask if your brick floor is original to the house OR did you purchase and install it. I've been debating brick for my foyer...If you installed it, where did you source your brick? It is really great looking. Is it comfortable or is it ripping your socks up? :)

o

Oh it is lovely! Airy and elegant, and comfortable all at the same time. I love the stools, the windows and all of your chunky wonderful trim. And the island counter is stunning. It is just beautiful - thanks for sharing!

o

Really nice! Everything looks great.

o

Never apologize for giant pictures of your kitchen. Simply gorgeous! Definitely worth the wait.

o

Just stunning. I love the pop of color with the blue stools and your glass fronted cabinet doors with all your treasures visible!

o

Gorgeous! Which Danby is that? Also what's on your walnut? oil, waterlox?
Love your glass cabs-- everything is so beautiful : )

o

Gorgeous! what is the paint color on the walls in your banquet aread?

o

Hey Katie! As soon as you shared on my reveal thread that you had logged on here to post about your own reveal, I knew exactly what would happen next: my jaw would drop to the floor and my heart would start beating furiously over the sight of your finished kitchen. And, in that regard, girlfriend, you most certainly did not disappoint! This is truly an absolutely gorgeous kitchen in every respect. (Although, to be honest, I expected nothing less!) Big congratulations to you on this. Be very proud. Now, I must return to your photos to oggle and swoon a bit more! :-)

o

A very beautiful kitchen and renovation overall! Love the amount of light and how serene it all looks together! The brick floor is absolutely gracious and perfect for the cape style, it looks original to the house!
Also love your pendants over the island, we have something similar to install, but a bit smaller!
Enjoy for many years to come with family and friends!!!

o

That is gorgeous! What a beautiful, light and airy feel the room has! It looks like it belongs in a magazine! And the brick floors...fabulous! Thanks for sharing...I love it!

o

another winner, katie! it's lovely. i can see your great attention to detail and it looks like it fits the house perfectly -very warm and welcoming. excellent job ...can we see more pics of the rest of the house?? please?!

o

beautiful kitchen! love the glass sides on the cabs - and all the windows (and view!)

I see you have a doorkeeper - got a better pic of that? (he/she)

awesome hall too. love the brick, the bench/drawers and 'lockers' - good thinking /planning there!

o

Congratulations! What a beautiful kitchen! I'm also curious about your brick floor. Was it part of your addition or original to your house? What is the maintenance like?

o

Absolutely Stunning!! I love every detail!! The hardwood and brick on the floor is beautiful.

o

So beautiful. I have to keep going back to take it all in. You must be thrilled with the outcome.
Loving the beautiful kitchen faucet and that brick floor in the hallway.
Congratulations.

o

I love it and the rest of the house that I can see. Gorgeous! Your yard looks amazing too:) yard starved here in LA

o

Beautiful! So many gorgeous, well-thought out details every where!

o

I have been waiting for this kitchen for months and am not the least disappointed! Absolutely beautiful Katieob. I am so aurprised to see the mantle rather than another beautiful Modernaire. Any specific reason why?

o

Charming, completely.

o

Beautiful! Such a warm house. What are your hardwood floors? They are gorgeous!

o

Love all the little touches that you did - the glass knobs, the walnut trim on the stove hood, the cabinet feet and the beautiful legs on the island. All those touches add to a nicely planned kitchen.

o

What a beautiful space! It looks so well thought out and just lovely. Enjoy it in good health and thanks for sharing all the pictures.

o

Yay! Congrats! Even though it's OT, can we get a tour of your entryway? Are all those lovely cabinets above the benches entry storage, or do you have some pantry in there? Also, I second the request for details about the dimensions of your banquette. So nice!

Now: Deep breath, and enjoy! May your new home give you much happiness.

o

What a pretty space !! I love the way you carried the walnut theme throughout...drip rail on sink and bench area in hallway. Love the glass sides on the cabs.

I got to the pic of your eating area... that did it ...simply stunning. Sets the whole apart from every other kitchen I have seen. What a serene and lovely space. You and your family will spend many happy hours sitting there and sharing your lives. May you have many years to enjoy your lovely home. I sure would like to see pictures of the entire home before /after. Are you posting those on another forum ? c

o

love the wall cabinets[glass on sides-details!]...the cooking hearth is so special....what a lovely kitchen....manageable size too...must be a pleasure to set foot into it.

o

So pretty, I like it even more than your last kitchen!

o

That is just lovely! I really like the contrasting textures!! The littlle ookbook shelf next to the stove precious. Great work!

Nancy

o

Oh, how lovely! So many gorgeous details...it all works together seamlessly. Another request for the finish on your island...it has the perfect "glow" that I am looking for in my island! ;). Enjoy your beautiful new kitchen!

o

You did a beautiful job, enjoy! I know several people with Viking ranges that really love them and no problems. What finish did you use on your walnut?

o

Wonderful! Who made the cabinetry? Looks like Steven Terhune in Ma? I love all the details, especially the black side door as an accent and the hood surround! So exquisite. Wow, really inspirational!!!!

o

Amazing! Just as beautiful as the last, and it was among my all-time favorites. Love the warmth of this one, and the glass panels next to the windows, and the little wood moulding on the range mantel, and ...

o

Wow, it is beautiful and very charming! Would love to see more pictures of the entryway and the family room. What are the dimensions of the overall size of the kitchen and the island?

Enjoy!!

o

Oh, Katie, that is absolutely WONDERFUL! I love, love, LOVE it! There are too many favorites to list, but I have to comment about your entry lockers. I am dying over those. We have three piddly little lockers. I would give my husband's left foot for that kind of space! (Sorry, honey ;^) )

And I must also comment that here you have TWO--count them TWO--drop-dead gorgeous kitchens under your belt, and I am just finishing my first. I need to get crackin'!

Congratulations on your new house and your amazing new space! It's fabulous!

o

Beautiful! Lovely like your last kitchen but so different too. Love the hood and the wood elements that tie it all together.

o

What a great job you've done.
Bright, airey, inviting.
The glass sides on the upper cabs next to the window is a great touch as is the trim detail above the hood as well as the drip edge under the sink.
I love the wood top on the island and the brick entry way is just fantastic.
Congratulations.

o

So beautiful...what size are the tiles on the backsplash? Also, love the pine floors! I'm with Kate, can we see more pics of your remodel? Thanks for sharing!

o

Wow! It's beautiful! Love the pendants, hood over the range, the stools and their pop of colour, the black doors, the brackets, the glass on the side (that's only the second time i've seen that), the area for books, the wall paper in the mudroom. Everything is perfect. I really would love to see more of your home!! I noticed you have some kind of planked wall. I love that!

o

Katieob - Loved the last one, LOVE this one! What a great eye to detal you have! The glass on the side of the cabinets looks great! So pretty, calming and wonderful! Have to ask...what do you store in the cabinets on the sides of the stove? Great storage idea! Love you black doors too!

o

It could be in a magazine! It's gorgeous. Do you mind sharing the height and depth of your banquette? The buildIng of ours will start soon and will also have probably a 4" cushion. I don't want to build the base too high for the cushion. Thanks!

o

katieob--when I'd first read that you were moving and leaving that gorgeous kitchen that you had created, my heart sank. How could you be leaving that behind? But, you've not only been able to move on, but did so in such a glorious fashion, creating another absolutely wonderful, wonderful kitchen!!! I am sooooo happy for you!

o

Wow! I love it too.

What is that gorgeous floor?

o

Awesome!! Love the Walnut!

o

One word---WOW!

o

Stunning. Simply stunning. (Mr. Spock -- set kitchen to "stun.")

o

LOL, Angie! But so true.

Katieob, your kitchen is delectable.

Would you be so kind as to post a close-up shot of your molding? I'm in the process of selecting new trim - trying to whittle down to a more affordable option than we started with - and I like how yours looks. Was this custom or stock trim? Is it just one piece mitered at the corners or is it made up of multiple pieces? Thanks!

o

You've Done It Again!!!!

But we knew you would. You have once again produced a gorgeous kitchen!!

It's hard to believe that it has been a year already.

I'm so excited to see the glass ends to your cabinets, I did that too! I have visited mine in the shop, they are coming next week!!!

Congratulations, looking forward to lots more photos.

Bee

o

Very beautiful.

o

Finally? I think you've finished 2 kitchens while we continue work on ours!

Another success. Gorgeous. I'm totally jealous of that hallway from the front door to the kitchen. Love the brick, the wood bench, and all the glorious storage!

The trim around the hood that connects with the island top and hall bench is perfection.

o

This is such a lovely kitchen. You have done great things here. Your finishes, and I've got to say your banquette just seems like home to me. I am amazed that you did brick for a flooring. I never would have thought of it but wow.

I apparently missed your previous remodeled kitchen and couldn't find it with a search. Could someone post a link?

o

Hi Katieob, I think your new kitchen is beautiful. Now that you have done both do you like this one better because of different things you did and improved or are they both the same? I just had to ask because in my mind looking at the pictures of the two kitchens they both look so nice. Best wishes in your new home.

o

So beautiful! I remember you being sad when you had to leave your last kitchen. (and rightly so..... it was lovely!) Now you have created this beautiful new space for you and your family. It is truly beautiful and you should be very proud of your vision! Enjoy it! It looks like a a lovely setting outside, too. SIGH............

o

I agree with all of the posters --- It is an amazing kitchen.... drool, drool, drool! I thought your previous kitchen would be hard to top, and wow, you did not disappoint, this is fabulous!

I also agree about the walnut that you carried through the space, it is really beautiful -- I especially love it on the mantel hood. It adds so much character to the new space.

What an encore, I hope to see pics of the rest of the house too!

o

Lovely, and what everyone else said.

o

Dear Katieob,

What a delight, after a very long day at work to come home to find ...
your beautiful kitchen.

Bravo: now you have inspired us with two scrumptious kitchens.

I truly love everything about it.
With the walnut it has a warmth/soul
that your previous (equally lovely) kitchen
didn't have in the same way.

How thick is that gorgeous hunk of walnut?
(I'm still wishing I had gone thicker on my walnut island top.)

I love the triple windows on the sink wall and your breakfast nook.

o

Charming. Beautiful. Serene. Gorgeous!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

o

Another beautiful kitchen, katieob! Love, love, love it!

o

Your kitchen looks like a breath of fresh air, so warm, inviting ....love it !! Thanks for sharing it with all of us. Enjoy your new space.

o

Wow! Gorgeous!

o

Katie - sorry I never had time to post yesterday, but I've been checking in every day since you said you'd be posting your finished kitchen.

As the others have said, way too many things to love.

Love the glass end cabinets.
Love the walnut that carries through.
Love that beautiful eating area. What a wonderful place to sit
and be able to look out at your yard.
Love the lockers.
Love the brick floor.
Love the pine floor.
Really, love everything!

Congratulations on another wonderful job.
I hope you'll get to enjoy this kitchen for many, many years.
Prill

o

Beautiful kitchen! I just love the thin wood band around your hood, as well as the whole feel of the room with that gorgeous island. Congratulations!

o

Gorgeous! Everything is so warm and inviting yet elegant!

o

It's beautiful! Love everything about it.

Can you tell more about your walnut top? Who made it? Was it cabinetmaker?

The brick in the entry?
Love the way it flows, and how you tied it to the kitchen. Great job!

o

I can't get past the brick in the hall. It's breathtaking!!!! Coolest hallway EVA! Is that wallpaper down on the wall? Your new kitchen in amazingly delightful. Airy, bright but natural, everything works perfectly yet looks unplanned. Old yet new. Sitting in the banquette in the morning must thrill you to no end. I'm a little jealous! :) Enjoy it!!

o

Perfect. Everything seems to fit together so beautifully. All the details - the gorgeous glass cabinets, the hood, the brick floor, the pretty WZ tile, the counters, the wood top on the island-- are wonderful in themselves but what it really special is the overall affect of the kitchen -- no one element seizes your attention -- you just get a wonderful feeling about the room and only then do you see the details.

This deserves to be bumped, and bumped, and bumped.

o

LOVE it! Enjoyed the last one too, but this one just calls out to me. You have an amazing skill and if you are not a kitchen designer...you should be.

When I opened your post and saw your photos my first thought was ..... that's my kitchen! So close to what I had in my head what my dream kitchen will be when/if we ever get around to building.

My favorites....in no particular order

Glass Cabinets
Windows to counter
Thick marble and walnut
The perfect subways
Brick floor
Hint of wallpaper in back hall
Hardwood floors

o

Beautiful kitchen!!

o

So I was waiting for this reveal every day... I visit my sister for a much needed construction break and here it is!
You are a very talented kitchen designer as i was certain i could not love another kitchen as much as your first... and now I can no longer say that... This is a beautiful space with gorgeous attention to detail. Words cannot convey how talented you are... and yes you should begin charging for your work after the kids get into school as you will do well!~.
So, can you fill me in on the details of your ceiling height and measure of trim above the top cabinet ( looks like an inch) and crown( 3 1/2 inches?) as I am in a vertically challenged space and could use some real numbers to work with! As I recall your cabs are 42 inches- please correct me if i'm wrong!
Enjoy ( it would be difficult not to!)

o

It's beautiful! I love the details, like the corbels on each side of the range hood and the side pieces below the uppers. Do you have pullouts below the corbels? Love your brick floors too.

o

It's beautiful! I thought I would miss your hood but I absolutely love what you did with the new one- and everything else! More marble photos please... And the rest of the house! You are not only a talented designer but VERY organized, as the house is clearly in great shape for someone who just moved back in. More, more.....

o

Oh my goodness, it is Stunning!!! I'm in Love!!! Wishing you countless years of happiness in your beautiful creation! :)

o

Wow, just beautiful!! Congrats on a job well done!

o

simply perfection!

o

Hi all,

Cannot thank you enough for all the kind words!

I promise to post a follow up soon with replies and info requested-I'm just in the weeds this week. ( 3 year old got tonsils out.....)

Be back soon and thank you!!!!!!!!
Katie

o

Katie, love both your kitchens, the glass uppers and walnut trim on this one make it extra special!! Can you tell me what size your slab upper draws are,I don't need to know how wide they go, just wanted to know from top to bottom what the length is.Also where did you get the glass canisters with the labels? Love them!!Thanks, Michelle

o

It's perfect, and I absolutely love it! Great job! Now I have stool envy, but I have to get over it because I already have mine.

Just a little disappointed the cup pulls are no longer catching Cheerios...that was too funny.

o

I was on a business trip last week and missed these photos. Great job....your kitchen is beautiful!

o

the epitome of "home sweet home". So lovely! congrats!

o

Absolutely love your kitchen! I have tons of questions:

I am in the process of picking out my countertops and would like to know where you got yours wood from. How did you pick the color/type? Is it sealed? Waterlox?
What is the difference between calcutta marble and danby?
What size is your subway tile? What is your opinion on beveled subway tile?

You have gorgeous taste!!!!!!

o

That is absolutely stunning, and from what I can see of the rest of the house you have fantastic taste.

o

Amazing kitchen!!! I, like everyone else, loved you first kitchen. It was my inspirational kitchen. I now love your new kitchen as well. You should really go into the design business, as you are very talented and have an amazing eye!!! Hope to see more photos of the rest of the house! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

o

Absolutely beautiful! Enjoy . . hope the baby is feeling better.

o

Absolutely georgeous kitchen!

Just wondering where is her first kitchen... I'd love to see it as well.

o

That is so me... You have my want kitchen...love it..love it...love it

What color did you paint your cabinets?
Huggles
And congratos

o

cindyinct - Here is the link to more pics of Katie's previous kitchen. It was one of my inspiration kitchens. She really has a gift of making gorgeous kitchens!

Here is a link that might be useful: Katieob's previous kitchen

o

Why would anyone want to leave her other house? That kitchen is gorgeous too! Thanks for the link. I had seen it before but didn't connect it to Katie.

o

Katie, you must like the microwave drawer. I'm guessing you'd recommend it. Also, I was told I wouldn't like a panel on a dishwasher... How do you like yours?

o

So much to love! I'm curious how long your hallway locker bench is?

o

I just love both kitchens and finding they are both BM Dove White has me love the color for cabinets like I love BM Cloud White. The kitchen is so warm and beautiful. You sure have a talent for putting together a kitchen with a wow factor. Thank you for sharing.

o
P.S. Paint color needed - RE: Finally finished~photos

P.S. What color paint is above the door and above the wainscoting? I love the shade of that neutral paint color.

o

Beautiful kitchen. Enjoy!!!

o

I had to look at the kitchen again because now I am thinking maybe I will paint my cabinets BM Dove white if I don't buy new cabinets. Thank you again for sharing. But when you have time, what is the wall color paint used?

o

What color are your kitchen walls and surrounding room? Looking for a similar neutral.

o

This kitchen is such an inspiration to me! We are about to put an offer on a 1942 cottage in pretty bad shape. But there's an O'keefe & Merrit stove that I will keep and have refurbished. I work as a nanny/cook in a very upscale home, so I know I want elegant, just in a smaller space. I wish I could just hire Katie to come to L.A. and say, "Just make my kitchen exactly like yours!" I especially love the refrigerator. Are the bottom drawers the freezer part? Or is it right side fridge and left side freezer? Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here