Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhbaskets_gw

Rant: Super White is damaged and they never told us!

nhbaskets
10 years ago

This afternoon we went to the supplier/fabricator/installer to place the templates on the Super White we had picked out on February 8. I've been having this recurring dream that the slabs would not be there when we arrived. My nightmare came true. After waiting for some time when we arrived, we were told that the slabs we had chosen were cracked, and therefore unusable. They discovered this two weeks ago when they installed slabs from the same bundle into a kitchen. Evidently, all the slabs in the bundle were cracked, and therefore returned. They asked if we had been contacted about this. Well, no. It's unclear who should have called us, this company or the developer of our new build. This is one of their subs. All we know is we did not receive a call.

We were presented with two new slabs of Super White. Two, not three that we had tagged back in early February. Seems that they are use to the developers 'normal' kitchens which only require two slabs. If you've read any of my other posts concerning our kitchen you know our kitchen is anything but 'the developers normal kitchen.' They told us that a third slab would be available tomorrow and we could come back then. Mind you, I had taken the afternoon off from work and driven over an hour to get there. The other alternative was to deal with the two slabs they presented to us and get an email picture of the third slab when it arrives tomorrow. We were assured it would be from the same bundle and look just the same.

Since we were concerned with seams matching up (at the sink and cooktop), we decided to place the templates on the two available slabs and hope that the photo we receive tomorrow for the island is acceptable.

I do not not where the breakdown in communication occurred, but we are extremely disappointed that we were placed in this situation of having to accept two slabs, plus one sight-unseen, after spending the time two months ago choosing the desired slabs for our kitchen. If the problem was known two weeks ago, I think we should have been notified well in advance by someone. That way, we also would have ensured that three slabs, at a minimum, were available today.

To top it off, the amount of stone required increased by 30ft over what was originally estimated. That's another $2k we'll need to come up with. I guess I should have taken responsibility to forward the final kitchen design rather than expecting this to be done by the developer. Shame on me!

These are photos of our original slabs and what we saw today. While the new slabs are beautiful, IMO they are not as dramatic as what we had originally chosen. Yes, these turned out to be damaged, but to not be given any choice really irks me.

Comments (16)

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

I am so sorry for your aggravation! I totally get why you are so frustrated.

FWIW, the new slabs may not have the same movement in them as the first ones, but they are every bit as beautiful, IMO.

• amck2
    10 years ago

Oh, my....I can't believe this new turn in your kitchen saga. I am so sorry to hear you hit another snag.

I can imagine how disappointed it was to have to shift your vision from the slabs you had carefully chosen months ago, but I will say that the new slabs are very nice and your kitchen is shaping up to be beautiful.

As far as the miscommunications...ah, well....what to say about that? I'm sure you were livid to have been left in the dark for weeks since the discovery of the damaged slabs.

I hope you and your DH take some comfort in knowing that this build will come to an end. Sending good thoughts your way.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry you & DH are going through this. Maybe they were busy finding you new slabs to spare you the anxiety of no slabs? The new slabs are beautiful & your kitchen is going to be gorgeous.

• xc60
    10 years ago

If it makes you feel better, that happened to us. I soooo feel your pain, sending hugs. You might of saw my thread about a month ago. We had a mix-up with our Ceasarstone slabs and then decided to go with Super White instead. Yay!!!

Then we found out the original Super White slabs we picked on closer inspection also had cracks in them and we had to go back the next day and pick new Super White slabs. I was very disappointed as I was very sure no other slabs could be as wonderful as the first ones we picked. Boy, was I wrong. Our new slabs are very similar to your new ones, and they are gorgeous installed. Hopefully your new slabs will grow on you too.

You can also ask your builder if they deal with any other stone yards or suppliers. The first stone yard our builder sent us to had no good slabs of SW at all, so we inquired about any other suppliers they dealt with and were told they also used two other suppliers. The second supplier had many more slabs of SW and we were able pick slabs we were very happy with in the end.

Good luck, and I think your new slabs are absolutely beautiful! :)

• TB151
    10 years ago

Ugh, sorry to hear this NHBaskets!!! If you don't like the slabs, you can try reaching out to the place we got ours from. They often have shipments coming in, bit no clue what they may currently have.

Perhaps they could purchase some from them, or you could just have that company do it all. I would certainly say you have grounds to ask for another vendor...

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for the sympathy. The slabs they showed us are beautiful and I'm sure at some point down the road, this won't cross my mind when I look at the kitchen.

I received an email last evening from the salesperson I've been dealing with. She indicated that for the past two weeks she has been searching the Boston area for new slabs of SW. In fact, it took her 5 places before finding something that was acceptable to her. She said she didn't want to stress us out, which is why we were never notified. Well, I think that backfired. I don't understand why she only had two slabs available yesterday, not three, and have let her know my disappointment in that matter.

In the meantime, I'm still waiting to see a picture of the third slab. I actually asked for a picture of the three slabs together so I can see if they are consistent.

Before we left yesterday I requested an install date of next Friday (4/18). I'm hoping they can come through with that.

DH is not dealing with all this very well...Again, I have to keep the level head and pray his BP doesn't go sky high again.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I think after all is said and done, the lack of communication in a construction project bothers me more than less-than-perfect execution!

Very annoying, but at least the new slabs are beautiful. I hope the third one "goes".

• heidia
    10 years ago

This happened to me. The stone is diff but still pretty. At the time, I nearly cancelled my order I was so annoyed over it as the movement is different, and the slabs I ended up with have more gold in them(white macc).

But I didn't because I built my entire kitchen around the stone, and they are the only yard that has it. :/ Other option would be to change my cabs to match a new one! :(

Also, they sat out in rain and sun and there was some discoloration they assured me would be cut off. It was *mostly cut off* but I can see the areas that are lighter and darker in a few edge areas.

Still a gorgeous stone, and only I know how it should have been and can see the faults. ;)

But I sympathize.

• windycitylindy
    10 years ago

I'm sorry you had to go through that. I'd be angry too.

That being said, I'll echo what the others have said and say that your new slabs will look gorgeous when they're installed. FWIW, I think a lot of the beautiful drama in your first slabs would not have come through when cut into counters because I think a lot of their drama was their large scale. Your new counters will be beautiful and have plenty of drama.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Been there as well. I remember taking time off from work and waiting and waiting - called KD - what's up?
    She called back and retention straps broke along with our and other countertops.
    The company did an awesome job on the new slabs. Seams are smooth as silk.
    Hang in there

• romy718
    10 years ago

I was thinking last night that I thought the new slabs might actually work better but could not figure out why...exactly what WindyCityLindy said.

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finally received photos today of the third slab. It does look like the other two. I requested a photo of all three together, which they also sent.

I agree that these slabs will be better for the perimeter counters, however, I still feel I've lost the drama on my island which will be ~9'x5'. I'm resolved that these will be in my kitchen and I'm okay with that.

On to the next battle.

Here's a close up of the third slab which will be the island. The brownish areas are dirt.

• Lisa
    10 years ago

I know you must be upset at the way this all transpired. But I have to say that I really love your new slabs and I think there is enough veining, etc going on to make for a beautiful, dramatic island. Good luck! Can't wait to see the finished product.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Love your new slabs too. I really hope you don't have any more significant battles!

• xc60
    10 years ago

Those new slabs are gorgeous, looking forward to seeing pics of them installed as well. :)

• Muffett
    10 years ago

Wow - FWIW that is still going to be a stunning island!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH