Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethv_gw

Kabinart cabinets from MKFUSA are here!

bethv
15 years ago

Whew Whoo! Our cabinets arrived Wednesday night and they're beautiful! I just got done checking them in and since a few people have contacted me about my MKFUSA (Meramec Kitchens & Floors) experience, I thought I would send out the word. (If you're reading this and haven't heard about MKFUSA, they sell cabinets on line for a very great price. The cabinets below are all plywood boxes, solid wood doors & drawers, dove-tail drawers, Blumotion full-extension soft-close glides - for 40%-60% less than other discount bids. 60% less than Scherrs.)

We got a combo of creamy white maple and dark cherry. Here's a few pics.... I cna't wait to get them installed!

Fairfield drawer base - starlight finish

Cherry Bookcase - cinnamon finish

Comments (19)

• thankurnmo
    15 years ago

not in the market for cabinets, but I just have to say those are stunners!
    enjoy them-- ya done good beth!

• lilyj
    15 years ago

Beth,
    I'm so glad you posted! I almost wrote you every day this week to ask, "Are they here yet?" but I resisted. lol I haven't been to the forum since much earlier today because I've been working aaaaall day on my cabinet list. How light is Starlight? Is it whiter than the ivory? I love the drawer fronts. Did you get any white doors with glass? How about the refrigerator panels? I don't have those quite figured out yet. Would you mind posting more photos or sending them to my email, maybe? Pretty please? The black and white sketches in the Kabinart catalog leave a lot to the imagination. TIA

• shanny75
    15 years ago

Lookin good! I have been talking with Dan at MKFUSA and the quote that I get from the Starmark line is pretty decent...I was a little hesitant to order online, but now that I know you received your cabs.... full steam ahead. That is if I can ever make a decision on my door and layout!

Maybe I'll check out the Kabinart line too. I have just about memorized the Starmark spec book that they have on the website. TKO

Would it be rude to ask what you spent on your cabs?

Shannon

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Maybe I'm just hungry..but I want to lick the cinnamon finish...yummy!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

So pretty! Can't wait to see them installed. Beautiful!

• bethv
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone! here's answers to the questions:

lilyj: Starlight color is darker than cream with some butter tones. But if I remember it's lighter than the ivory (or maybe just less tan.) We got 2 fridge end panels and a TON of other trim. Have you gotten the full line brochure off the Kabinart website? It has pictures of all the lines set up a kitchens. It was invaluable. I didn't get any glass-door cabinets. I'll post more pictures early next week.

shanny75: Price - $10,100. Includes:
    2 super susans
    3 bead-board bookcases in cherry
    8 large drawer bases
    1 sink base
    11 upper cabinets
    light rail,
    baseboard
    beadboard paneling
    shoe molding
    dentil molding
    crown molding
    spacers
    sink feet
    hutch end
    fridge panels
    fluted fill & 4 capitals
    Lots of the trim is cherry. & many cabinets have 15% upcharge for paint.

igloochic: The cherry is lucious!! You should see the cabinets with doors! Regular lollipops!

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

shannon... how good was their price on Starmark? There's a door style I love in that line. I'm wondering how good the price is compared to using IKEA with Scheers door.

• sandsonik
    15 years ago

remodelfla, they have the Starmark prices on their website. It's 70% off if you spend over $3500: link to the Starmark section of the site down below - click on price list for specific prices, and remember that those are the full prices and you get 70% off of that listed price. However, there's also a 3% increase for 2008, so count that in. They give instructions on how to calculate everything.

I've been really intrigued by the company as well and looking at the Starmark catalog, and couldn't wait to hear how some of the people ordering from them made out, so I'm anxiously awaiting more pictures Beth! Are you installing them yourself? My husband and I aren't that handy and with a house badly out of square, I'd really like someone else to install them if I go this route - and I wonder how hard it is to find a workman to install cabinets you ordered independently online!

Here is a link that might be useful: Starmark portion of meramec site

• bethv
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sanksonik - We are installing them ourselves. I'm a pretty hard-core DIY and it's quite a cost savings. Other people have hired someone to help them which seems like a good idea particularily with the trim. I don't think it would be hard to find someone.

• bethv
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, I'm finally getting around to posting more pictures. I wasn't sure what would be helpful so I included some more cabinet fronts and some that show inside details.

This is a super susan with drawer base next to it. (notice the 3 beautiful new outlets & the puppy butt :)

This is the inside of the super susan. The top shelf still has the tan vertical stabilizer attached - that was for shipping. LOVE this cabinet.

Here's the top-down view of the 15" drawer base with a drawer pulle dout - you can see the blumotion.

This is the pot & pan base 36"

Here's the inside of the drawer:

This is the dark cherry 24" upper cabinet:

This is a bottom profile view of the Fridge end panel. You can see how the stile front joins the side panel to create a furniture-end outside panel.

This is a 24" drawer base (that I can't get to rotate!). It's cherry, toffee finish in the Beacon Hill line. Has nice beading around the drawer which doesn't show up well. This is for the dressing room.

Let me know if you want to see anything else : )

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

I'm so happy for you! They look absolutely beautiful!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Those cherry with the cinnamon finish are gorgeous!!

• lilyj
    15 years ago

Beth,
    Did you purchase the base with the bread box drawer or the apothecary thing which I think they call a spice drawer or spice cabinet? Another thing I wanted to ask was if you purchased the cabinet with roll out trays or the cabinet with pull out shelves and what is the difference in the two? Did you get the waste basket and kit? If so, is it attached to a door front? I would love to see photos of any of these that you have time to post and thank you so much for your patience! I'm planning to call MKFUSA to see if they keep displays of the cabinets, if so we're going to drive up within the next couple of weeks. I'm ready to order now that I know you're happy with yours. The only thing that really bothers me is that I haven't seen a base for a cooktop that can be used with an oven installed under the cooktop. That's really the only thing my husband has insisted on so I hate to not try to work that out.

• bethv
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Lily, We didn't do anything but drawer bases and one with shelves that we'll turn into the pull-out recyler. We wanted a 15" double-bin recyler, so I order that separately off ebay with a door-mounting bracket. The bracket attaches to the metal frame and then you screw it into the back of the door.

I'm not sure what the difference is between their pull-out shelves and trays - I bet there isn't one. They look the same in the pictures. I'm sure Dan would know. Could you use the cooktop base with trays for your oven? You can get the cabinet box by itself for 75% off (plus discount) and then order two drawer faces for the front & false-front brackets. Or order the whole cabinet and just remove the trays and doors. Dan might let you order the box with the false-fronts installed. You'd have to check the inside measurement against your oven spec. But I bet we could figure that out since I have my cabinets. Let me know, and we'll do some figurin'.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Really looking pretty! You cabs seem to match the puppy butt! Can't wait to see the final kitchen. It will be beautiful!

• lilyj
    15 years ago

Beth,
    Your cherry cabinets with the cinnamon finish are so pretty that I'm having a hard time telling myself that I'm not going to change my plan. OTOH, I love the unfitted look and wanted to mix finishes anyway. I had my heart set on a painted island which would be built by a local cabinet guy. The vision that I don't want to lose sight of is that white is the dominant color, the room has a farmhouse look and that since my kitchen is only 11x13, it doesn't look choppy. Maybe I should start a thread asking for advice on that. There are a few similar threads already going about that subject, but I'm still up in the air. So confused...

• luckymom23
    15 years ago

Beth,
    Your cabinets are gorgeous, you must be thrilled! I am intrigued by the company you used but I am having trouble accessing info on the cabinet lines they carry, it seems like the links from the Merimec website don't work and I have not had much luck through Google either. Any ideas anyone? I am lookin for Alder cabinets which it seems are available through Starmark. I am thinking of calling Merimec on Monday but any guidance would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

• bethv
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Luckymom23! I just went to the Meramec site and the Starmark link works. Note the spelling of Meramec. Here is the link I used... Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Starmark link

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz