Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa226_gw

HELP! Backsplash installed today .. think i hate it

lisa226
16 years ago

HI there..its been a while since i have been on here .. my kitchen and whole house remodel is in month nine and the kitchen has been almost complete for months except for backsplash ...glass installed in doors...knobs and some molding to hide the cabinet lights.....so......right now i am sitting here freaking out....i was going for the english garden look,,,,i had initially ordered white tile which turned out looking dirty against my antique white cabinets and in a perhaps 'stupid moment " i made the mistake when they took the white tile back and asked if i want them to reorder the white i said no and went with a oatmeal color and i am hating it...it is not grouted yet...it does not match with all my pretty white pink pottery i love and im getting ready to rip it out....some one stop me...it cost 900 dollars and that does not include the installation..... if i rip it out tonight i might get it off the wall easy????? my husband is on the way home...lol im going to try to post pictures here ......thoughts please....

before::

^ i wanted the white. what have i done????

Comments (78)

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    16 years ago

Sorry to post again. Too early in the morning here. I meant live with the choice for a few days before you decide whether or not to tear it out and go with something else. I think it is beautiful.

• cpang74
    16 years ago

I am sorry you ripped it down-I hated my backsplash until they had it grouted -I think it just takes awhile to grow on you. I took thought I had ruined my kitchen and now I really like mine. (AND MINE IS BLACK!) I hope you find the perfect white you are searching for....

• msrose
    16 years ago

Well, I was in the minority and wasn't crazy about the color. I probably would have just lived with though, because my husband would have never taken it down. What a great guy! I do love that tile in the white. Too bad it looked dirty.

Laurie

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

Can I have your husband? Mine NEVER would have taken it down...well maybe after a year or two of me griping about it he would have, but never right away. Cherish that man of yours (even if he makes rude gestures:))

Good luck talking to your tile guy. Remember, you're paying him to do what YOU want, he's just getting more work out of this. If he wasn't working for you he'd be doing another tile job somewhere else so he's still getting paid. At least he'll be familiar with your measurements and where he needs to cut! You'll use the same guy again, won't you? His work was awesome!

• Flowerchild
    16 years ago

WOW!!! The lady knows what she wants!!! What are you going to do with the tiles? Do you have a Habitat for Humanity project near you? I bet they could use them....

Personally, I liked the way they carried the granite color. I can't picture white ones.

GOOD LUCK!!!

• Circus Peanut
    16 years ago

Now that you've taken them out, I have to say I might have done the same, Lisa. The brown tone of the tile didn't seem to match the hue of the cabs and counter -- at least from your digital photos, I found the tile far too pinkish, kind of a 1970's neutral as opposed to a contemporary one. Take a deep breath and good luck finding the perfect match!

...and does your husband have a brother? ;-)

• neesie
    16 years ago

I'm someone who doesn't HAVE a backsplash. Yes, I like the look of tile and wish I could have the luxury of picking out a design and planning something special, but money dictates that I stay with paint for now!

That being said, it's your money and your kitchen. Get what you want!

And now I feel a little better about my paint. I have told myself that I can easily change it on a whim, whenever I want.

BTW, You have a gorgeous kitchen and your hubby is a real sport!

• joann23456
    16 years ago

Lisa, I agree with Nessie. And what a nice husband!

• tnkitchens
    16 years ago

I SO AGREE WITH YOU AND I AM GLAD FOR YOU THAT YOU COULD TAKE THEM DOWN. IF YOU LOOKED AT IT ALL AS A SEPERATE ITEM, THEY WERE EACH BEAUTIFUL. TOGETHER, I DON'T THINK IT WORKED EITHER. I HAVE ALMOST THE SAME CABINETS AND GRANITE AND NO BACKSPLASH YET BECAUSE I THOUGHT I NEEDED TO LIVE WITH IT ALL FOR A LITTLE WHILE. I KNEW IF I GOT IN A HURRY, I WOULD MAKE A MISTAKE. GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE POST WHATEVER YOU COME UP WITH.

• jb1176
    16 years ago

Lisa
    You and your husband are courageous souls. Glad you both are working on the same team and best wishes on getting what you really like.

I would still like to know the name of the tile you took down and the manufacturer when the dust settles and you have some time.

Thanks!

jb

• hollylh
    16 years ago

Whew...just started reading this thread today and was going to say I agreed with you and didn't like the tile, but everyone else was being so positive that I didn't want to be a downer...I'm glad you ripped it out! Not because it was horrible (I agree that light grout would have prob helped) but because a) I could see what you meant about the color and b) you knew in your gut you hated it...always go with your gut! the prob of course is that at certain times the stress can get overwhelming and you can't figure out what is gut and what is nerves. (All these body parts, LOL.) But proof you did the right thing: once it was down you felt better, not worse. So good on ya and I hope you find something you love.

(I don't know what it is about tile--something maybe about its beauty coupled with its permanence--but it freaks me out and I can't make a decision either, so in my kitchen I think I am going with beadboard!)

• pecanpie
    16 years ago

I just now saw this post and I'm glad I'm posting after you took it down, as I don't know if I had the guts to tell you I didn't like it either.

It just looked wrong. I'm sure you'd have gotten used to it, but you have a chance to re-do and you should sleep better tonight.

Better to change now than later.

• acountryfarm
    16 years ago

I am glad you took it down as well. I absolutely agree with the other's who said the tones weren't right. If you are a color fanatic like I am you see it right away and its almost as if they clash when color is not right.
    You will find the right thing and you will just "know it" when you do. be patient and get what you like.

I have those tiles in my master bath in the blue. I do love them in blue, also love the white but your right that the white can look dingy next to other white.

On a side note, I put the decorative tile band in the children's showers and the paint in there is not the right tone. I am sick as their bedrooms are all the same color and obviously wanted the bath to match. The tile is in and I just love the tile so will probably have to re-paint. Bummer.

• jtalb
    16 years ago

I know what you mean, there is something about the colour that wasn't quite right. Maybe the beige is a bit too retro. That said, I don't think I would have been brave enough to take it all down!

• redroze
    16 years ago

Wow...brave girl. And you definitely know what you want, that's great!!

The tile style is gorgeous but you may want to look more for a colour that is in-between the white and the oatmeal. Your instincts also told you not to go with the white so you may want to listen to them about the white too.

• lisa226
    Original Author
    16 years ago

phewwwwwwww yes my husband is truly sent from above...no brothers sorry ladies....but i prayed long and hard to find him .... actually writing a book about finding mr wonderful...enough of that though.,...thank you all for your support....i had to follow my instincts...i hate that i wasted though... for those who asked the company was Horus Art and the series was cristalli....its from italy and each was hand painted.... sigh....where was my head the day I ordered it??? anyway live and learn and move on....i must say the kitchen after last nights demolition looks better then with the tile lol so this weekend im off to find the perfect tile to give me a real soft english garden look...ill find it.....glad to have met you all.... thank you again for your comments support and advice even if i didnt listen lol heres a pic after the demo.... have a great day lisa :)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• seedsilly
    16 years ago

I think the fact that you're so worried about wasting means you don't do it very often, and you're entitled to the occasional "splurge", (at least, that's how I justify it to myself when I waste!)and I think it's wonderful that you care so much about that. And I agree, a good hubbie is a gift from above.

• redbazel
    16 years ago

Well, your DH is a real solid guy, that's for sure. After paying for my tiles and my installer, there isn't a snowball's chance in Fresno that we would have ripped it out. I liked your pictures and your tile, but I'm not there in your house, so my opinion is tainted anyway. I hope you get what you are looking for.

Red

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

What a hubby!!! WOW!!!

And now I too can tell the truth: I didn't like that tile with your cabinets at all. I agree that it looks better after the demo!

Good luck on your search!

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

I recommend that you take one of your doors (and even a granite sample if you still have one) with you when you go shopping. It will make it alot easier!
    I'm glad you did what made YOU happy!

• bungalowdawn
    16 years ago

Wow! Good for you for trusting your gut. That's something I would have hemmed and hawed over forever and probably never had the guts to do it! I think I do like it better with nothing than with the tile that was up.

On another note, would you mind telling me what faucet you have and how you're liking it? It's very pretty. Are you able to move it in its full range of motion front to back? Just curious as it looks like a similar spacing to the wall as mine might end up (and I'm worried it may end up being too close for a front/back style faucet handle).

Thanks,
    Dawn

• lisa226
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi dawn,,the faucet is a danze from the opulence collection..i love it....i can move its full range from front to back....that was a concern i also had but there is no problem...measure it out ,,,try going danze web site and perhaps you can get the dimensions ,,,,,if you need me to measure anything just let me know :)

• marinabs
    16 years ago

Stunning! The white would be overwhelming, stark. Your kitchen looks very neutral and calm with the modest contrast between the tile and the white cabinets and trim. I really like the look.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Lisa, Out of all the pics, I like the painted BS the best! To me, both your white cabinets and granite seem to stand out and look much nicer w/the paint.

Have you thought of a soft gray? I love the look of gray and white together (like gray walls & white trim) and I think the gray would also complement the granite...if I'm seeing the right colors in it!

Good Luck!

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

I liked the color of your oatmeal tiles, it was the sheen that got me, it reminds me of old fashioned shower tiles. But since it's gone now, nothing to do but move forward.

I am curious though...were you on site during the installation?

• lisa226
    Original Author
    16 years ago

YES and i had my floors and granite completely covered .the bright sun lightwas flooding the room.....and i thought it looked great until everything uncovered and got cleaned up and i saw the whole picture .....as the tile was going up i was saying...oh that looks nice...and i meant it....but soon as the floor and granite were completely exposed things changed..

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

I think you're the first one who has ever done that, out of all the backsplash disappointment theads, and there's been quite a few !!!!!!!!

keep us posted on the sequel !!

• deegw
    16 years ago

I tore out a newly installed marble fireplace surround. To make a long story short, it was not what I expected and I truly hated it.

The lesson (look at EVERY single tile in the boxes before you have it installed) was not cheap. But I would have really bugged me to look at my mistake every day.

Your tile was fantastic but the color really wasn't right for your space. Plus, YOU hated it and that's all that mattters. Please post pics of the new tile.

• nuccia
    16 years ago

Lisa--Brava! I was also apprehensive about saying something negative about a finished product.

The advice about taking a cabinet door and a sample of granite to go shopping again is right on.

You might take a picture of tile samples leaning against the BS, then with photoshop copy and paste the sample onto the BS as many times as is needed to fill the area. This may not work if the color differences are subtle (which they may be).

Also, where I live, some of the higher-end tile places, as well as some specialty stores, have decorators on staff who can help you with your dilemma at no charge. Make sure you go when the store is not busy so you can get undivided attention.

Good luck!

• msrose
    16 years ago

Lisa - Every time I come back to look at this post, I love your kitchen cabinets even more. Are they a particular brand or custom?

Have you told the tile guy what you did yet? Just wondering what his reaction was.

Laurie

• lisa226
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for your continued responses and thoughts with how to proceed.....funny thing is i took the cabinet and granite to the showrooms....i think i got into a head spin with the whole remodel and somehow i just made the wrong choice...live and learn....i know the look im going for..(i think) lol the cabinets come from great northern out of wisconsin.....we have a local cabinet guy who sales them.he sold and put in my cabinets...he also did my tile install check out their site...they have some great pictures in their portfolio...when i called to tell them i ripped them out...truthfully...she was shocked but then told me how hysterical i am and hopes to remain friends with me after this project is complete...i did not talk to her husband the one who installed them.....we both laughed cause neither of us wanted to tell him .....i just said send me a bill so we can move foward.....anyway ...have a great weekend.. :) lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: my cabinet guy

• mrs_tlc
    16 years ago

Hi Lisa. I'm glad to see you made the decision to take them down. It was beautiful tile but for some reason there was something that didn't look right. Maybe if the pattern had been different like one poster said. But I think you made the right decision and can't wait to see the finished product!

BTW, I have one of those wonderful husbands too. He has been so patient throughout our remodel and would have torn it out for me too. I came home from work yesterday to find that he had reversed one of the lower cabinet doors that had been bugging me. What a sweetie!

Good luck with your book and maybe you can use the finger picture for the cover? LOL, just kidding!!

• lisa226
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mrs tlc...i am laughing here about the book cover comment...the funny thing is my husband only did that gesture as i told him too instead of saying cheese...i tried to delete the picture off of here afterwards so not to offend anyone but i couldnt lol so im glad you saw the humor in it.... thank you for your thoughts...i have posted a new thread "question for those who love white kitchens" take a look there to see what im up to know if you like.... :) lisa

• msrose
    15 years ago

Lisa - Just wondering if you found a new backsplash?

Laurie

• cburch
    15 years ago

I kinda liked the backsplash, but I'm really interested to see what you replace it with.

Christy

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

Lisa,

Photos of the new backsplash?

• phoggie
    15 years ago

Lisa~~
    Have you picked out a new backsplash yet? If not, have you thought of not concentrating so much on "white" and pull out one of the darker colors in your granite? Is there some darker brown tones that you might be able to use..or a mosaic tile, with a mix of creme and browns?

• sjerin
    15 years ago

She answered the post, "Lisa 226, have you put in a new backsplash?", which is on pg. 3 at 2:30 pacific time.

• lisa226
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi phoggie....yes i picked a new back splash after much obsessing and making a few sales people nuts...and my sweet husband lol we have not installed it yet though ...it is a subway tile with a crackle finish in a color called bianco which is a white but not stark..goes perfect with my cabinets..Also by horus art and in the tiffany collection.i actually had the sales people get me a sample of the current dye lot before i gave them the go ahead to order the whole thing ..... i am not doing anything fancy above the stove,,,im going with a less is more here.... i have looked extensively at pictures in magazines and here on the internet and i love the look of the subway in white,,,,again i think the crackle will give it a nice touch...and the granite will still be the star of show. YOu cant tell from my pictures but there is white in my granite... i will post pics when we get started.... thanks for asking how i was doing..... hope you are all well and enjoying the summer.... we are still working hard at the whole house remodel....

• msrose
    15 years ago

Lisa,

Any pictures yet?

Laurie

• lisa226
    Original Author
    15 years ago

SO HAPPY WITH MY NEW BACKSPLASH!!!!!! LOVE IT..WE STILL HAVE TO GROUT (am going with white) AND PUT IN LIGHT MOLDING UNDERCABINETS AND GLASS IN DOORS ECT ECT BUT THE TILE GUY WAS HERE FRIDAY AND phewwwwwwww I LIKE IT!!!!!!my husband would have killed me if i didnt... I TOOK THESE PICTURES TONIGHT AND THEY DONT DO IT JUSTICE....WILL TAKE SOME IN THE DAYLIGHT....THE TILE HAS A CRACKLE FINISH ITS FROM HORUS ART THE TIFFany SERIES... IN BIANCO... HERES A FEW SHOTS...AGAIN THE LIGHTING ISNT SHOWING ITS BEAUTY HERE....ALSO ANY THOUGHTS ON KNOBS...I WAS THINKING BRUSHED STAINLESS LIKE THE FAUCET OR EVEN CRYSTAL WITH BRUSHED NICKEL... MORE DECISIONS... THEY NEVER END... BUT ITS ALL GOOD AND I FEEL BLESSED TO GET THE CHANCE TO HAVE THESE KIND OF DECISIONS TO MAKE...

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

I like it very, very much, Lisa! It really is soooo much better than the first splash, which was a beautiful splash but just wasn't working with your kitchen.

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

The backsplash really looks wonderful and ties everything together beautifully. I have similar color cabinets and am putting antique pewter pulls on them. I don't have a photo, but I believe they are the same pulls that Beuhl has.

By the way, I really like your wood floor. It looks great with your cabinets and is the same "color" as I'm putting in!

Barb

• msrose
    15 years ago

It's perfect! There's no doubt you did the right thing in taking the other one down. I'm curious, did the guy who did the other tile job do this one also? When you take some more pictures, can you take some standing further back? I'd love to see all of your cabinets.

Laurie

• User
    15 years ago

Wonderful. I love a happy ending!! Enjoy.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

I love this new backsplash! Makes your kitchen less "formal" and more inviting. I was wrong on the other. This IS the right backsplash for your kitchen. It is really beautiful with your cabs and granite. I am not sure I would have had the courage to take down the other especially since they did a beautiful job of installing it. Good for you for sticking to your guns and getting something in that is just perfect. Congrats!

• blondelle
    15 years ago

Lisa, if you can get me a shot just like the one you have with your range, of the whole area straight on but with the tile, I will show you what it would look like white, and I will try and simulate your splash grouted. I really think it's lovely though, and it's beautiful with your granite.

• shanny75
    15 years ago

Hi Lisa,

I am thinking of getting the Horus Art Tiffany in the green, but have only seen it online...can you give me some insight? What do you think of the quality, glaze, crackle ect...? Also, is the crackle small or large...if that makes sense?

Thanks,

Shannon

• lisa226
    Original Author
    15 years ago

this is for you dedtired.... hi shannon....i dont know anything about the green,,,but.... the quality glaze crackle is beautiful....hmm small or large.... i dunno...i just call it perfect ... :) check out the new post i put here today titled "new pictures of second backsplash"

• melanie1121
    15 years ago

Lisa, Like the new tiles! I will be getting the same Danze faucet. Did you get the 8 3/4 spout or the 10" spout...do you remember the model number? I know its the Opulance collection. Thanks!
    Melanie1121

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio