Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rookie_2010

Bizarre Outlet Placement. Can't fight 'em, hide 'em?

rookie_2010
14 years ago

I need to pep-talk myself on a public forum, I've gone from TKO to TKC, C is for crazy. Ugh. My focal point, behind the range backsplash area will be marred by electrical outlets. Yes, that's a plural, two outlets, one on each side.....

What on earth would I ever plug in back there? Nothing I'm sure, unless i ever need to blow dry my hair and cook at the same time. I tried to work something else out that would satisfy the code, alas, I'm stuck. Some unfortunate tile choices in my bathroom have exhausted my capacity for regret today so I'm not sure if I care that much or if I want to laugh at myself for caring as much as I do. I've lived in a house without a dishwasher for 6 years and I'm worried about outlets!

I'm pulling up the old boot straps and will find a great wooden or wicker canister for spatulas and spoons to hide them. Or a handmade pottery one, here I go again.........

Has anyone else "lived" with something like this and ended up actually needing/using it afterall?

Comments (19)

• wa8b
    14 years ago

I often place a baking sheet on the cooktop and bake waffles there, so that I can run the range hood while they're baking (lots of steam, and I don't like the smell that lingers, otherwise). I also use a hand held blender for pureeing soups and sauces, so a nearby outlet is handy.

Once all is said and done, I doubt you'll even notice the outlets. It's amazing what the mind and eye can filter out...

• km5tq
    14 years ago

Hi Rookie,
    Wish you had a picture to share with us on your backsplash.
    As far as using the outlets, I used ours a lot for plugging in such appliances as mixers,slow cookers and other small appliances that I had.
    Are the ones behind your range the only ones you have in that area? If you really don't think you will use them try finding outlet covers that will blend in with your background.
    Depending on how far apart the outlets are, you could find a picture or something that would cover them.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others will offer suggestions.

• nosambos
    14 years ago

The whole code thing can be an artistic nightmare. I too was told that outlets had to go in particular places on the wall. We compromised by putting them on the side of the cabinets. I didn't like the fact that the GFI outlets had little red or green lights which are always on. Since I had no intension of using some of these outlets I just turned them off. The one that was most offensive to me was removed AFTER the final house inspection and one was changed out for a non GFI because a combo 3way switch and plug doesn't come with a GFI. I never electrocuted myself during forty years prior to remodeling the kitchen so I'm not particularly worried. Officially, I know nothing.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Um...Huh? Have you checked code? There shouldn't be any outlets behind the cooking surface!! That's a big no-no for people to be reaching across a burner to plug things in.

If you're just talking about next to the range, rather than directly behind it, you can put the outlets as low as possible, and turned horizontal. They'll look a lot better there.

If you have upper cabinets on either side of the range you can use plugmold on the bottom of the cabinets instead. If your plugs are on their own circuit, the whole circuit can be made GFI. Otherwise, there are ways of making the runs of plugmold GFI. More complicated to do, but less offensive to the eye than the outlets you don't want.

• friedajune
    14 years ago

Plllog, I assumed the OP meant to either side of the range. But perhaps she should clarify on this thread, cause if she DID actually mean BEHIND the range, there's some huge miscommunication with her electrician (I'm also assuming that's who told her the Code requirement).

But anyway, I echo Plllog's statement, that the receptacles should be placed as close to the countertops as possible, and horizontally. As to how low the receptacles can go, that too depends on local Code. Some Codes say nothing about how close to the counters the receptacles can be. Mine said 4" from countertop to center of receptacle, which is actually quite low when they are horizontal. They are hid easily by paper towel holder, tea kettle, coffee maker, etc.

Or you could use plugmold and thereby have no outlets in your backsplash at all. Have you considered plugmold?

P.S. Nosambos - GFCI receptacles come in all-white versions with no lights, easily purchased at HD, Lowes, etc. When they are all-white, they look barely different than non-GFCI receptacles. You really should have GFCI receptacles near any water source, and there should be no reason to remove one.

• hgluckman
    14 years ago

Another approach to the outlet conundrum is to do what we did, and that's camoflage them. We found a local artist who specializes in painting outlets, etc, to match the background. We're in the Denver area, but I know there are others doing this around the country. His work on tile and stone is nearly invisible. However, we have glass tiles, which can't be matched exactly because of the difference in materials. Still, we're very happy with the result.

Here's the before:

From Kitchen Remodel

Here's the after:

From Kitchen Remodel

The painter wanted to wait until after the final inspection since he said that some inspectors were nervous about the paint. Our inspector told us we really needed one more outlet in the area shown, but we managed to get approved without it.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    14 years ago

I use mine! I actually asked the electrician to make sure there was an outlet on either side of the cooktop, because I wanted to be able to plug in my stick blender, when making soup (which I do a lot). It's perfect!

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You are all wonderful! Thank you! The outlets are actually flanking the range and not directly behind it. I have a mantle box hood so I have about 15 inches of counter space on either side of the range where the outlets are. If I had designed the backsplash to be only the width of the range, I'd be golden but I threw in the space on either side and designed it to fit inside the hood area instead.
    I'm going to make some phone calls right now to make sure that the electrician and tile installer know I want horizontal close to the counter placement! I have a lot of ideas, besides the hairdryer :), that I will use those outlets for. It's going to be a good thing to have somewhere under the vent to use the portable grill, waffle maker and I could even use my toaster there since I'm a habitual toast burner.
    Thanks everyone!

• bobb_2010
    14 years ago

Use for outlets: Toaster, Coffee maker, blender, blah-blah.

Ur over-thinking it.

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bobb, thanks for pointing that out, I learn something brand new every day.

The holes for the outlets were cut into a piece of marble slab. They are vertical, I was a day late and a dollar short by the time I even noticed what was happening. No biggie, just something I probably could have avoided if I were paying closer attention. New build, no GC, definitely could have been worse.
    Thanks again!

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

i think marble isn't a difficult 'design' to match - check your local artist community / school for a student to match your outlet covers to the slab!

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

I laughed out loud at the image -- spatula in one hand, blow dryer in the other -- but, you never know!

I was going to say... but it's a done deal... but I was going to say steer clear of Ughmold! Unless, maybe, you have a place to hide it out of the way. I saw it in a picture when I first started and thought it looked good, but it was hidden up under the uppers.

I'm sorry they cut the marble without checking with you first. But I do think you will get used to it and at some point be glad to have them! : )

• pudgybaby
    14 years ago

hgluckman: Could I please get the name of your painter? I am also in the Denver area.

Has the paint on the outlet held up well - has it scratched?

Thx.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Rookie, make sure they save scraps for you. You can have covers made out of your stone.

• hgluckman
    14 years ago

The guy who paints outlets in the Denver area is Rob Davenport, and his business is called Taken for Granite. He only did the work last week, so I can't report on durability yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taken for Granite

• pudgybaby
    14 years ago

Thx, hgluckman. The photos on his website are amazing!

• e4849
    13 years ago

Oh, I can relate to this.

My KD designated plugmold all throughout so as to avoid outlets in the backsplash. My GC and electrician had problems complying with code for areas flanking the stove and the GFI outlet.

I made a compromise based upon utility. The side of the kitchen that will house regularly used appliances (toaster oven, blenders, cuisinarts, coffee maker) will have regular outlets installed. It isn't the dominant part of the kitchen and they will be camouflaged.

The side of the kitchen that is "on view", especially the backsplash flanking the stove is intact, and there will be outlets built in the side pillars. The rest of that side will have plugmold, with one GFI code outlet that is on the far side of a pillar, so it isn't obvious when entering the kitchen. The phone/area has a visible outlet.

The GC's point was that you will have cords hanging down from plugmold if you are putting it in places where regular small appliances are used.

I also end up with a duo of overhead light and disposal switches to the right of the sink. My KD wanted an in-counter air switch, but I still need to access the overhead light and worry about the air switch hole in the granite becoming uselss if the disposal or other has to be changed.
    As long as I don't have an alternating pattern of ugly outlets breaking up a pretty backsplash, I will be happy.

I do love the faux paining in the photographs. Looks great.

• km5tq
    13 years ago

You might try Google image search for marble wall outlets.
    You will find a lot that are ready made and hand painted.
    Depending on how artistic you are,you could try painting a match for your marble. I did find a video on painting your own wall outlets. I believe it was on ehow.

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Pillog,
    Thank you so much for the idea! I didn't expect so many responses to this particular issue but it's definitely something I wish I had looked into earlier on....

I asked the installer to save me some scraps. I just picked them up. I'm going to read the details on the site for custom outlet plates.
    BTW, the installer made me two lazy susans from the sink cutouts so I picked those up today too :)