Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socalsister_gw

Soapstone Mishap - solutions - are we too picky?

socalsister
10 years ago

My soapstone counters were installed yesterday. They are Barocca, so the softer variety. The only issue we have with the install is behind the GE Café 30 inch range in a deeper counter (30 inches deep). Due to the counter depth, a piece of soapstone needed to be added behind the range to bridge the gap between the range and the wall. This was discussed in advance with the fabricator as well as onsite. We had the range in place for him to accurately measure the gap.

We asked for an eased edge on the counters. Unfortunately, the two counters on either side of the range were fabricated offsite with eased edges running from the front of the range back to the wall. If they had not done the eased edge all the way back to the wall, the middle piece would have been flush where it met with the two side counters. As it is, the eased edges create two crevices on either side of the middle soapstone piece. The fabricator tried to address the problem by lowering the middle piece and adding epoxy, which I do not like. He said the only other option he could think of was to raise the piece level with the other two sides, fill with epoxy and try to sand down the unevenness. Again, not an option I liked since it seems that the seams would be enormous stripes.

I want to be reasonable. BUT I want the counter to function well. Those crevices, especially since they are behind the range, jump out at me every time I look at that counter (and the range area is the first thing you see when you walk in the room). I plan to oil the counters eventually, so I am not bothered by the dark epoxy. The unevenness, however, bothers me a great deal. A cleaning nightmare.

I was too shocked at the time to really think it through. The fabricator did an amazing seam elsewhere that is completely invisible, so he clearly is skilled.

DH proposes that the middle piece be replaced with a longer piece (30.5 inches instead of the 30 inch wide piece currently in place). The edges of the counters on both sides would be notched somehow to eliminate the eased edge (it's about 1/8 inch on each counter). The new piece would then sit flush with the side counters and have a smoother, tighter seam. This makes seems much more practical and asthetically pleasing. Does a tool exist that could be used to do this without damaging the counters?

Do you see any flaws in this plan? (We have enough soapstone to create a new strip.) We are open to any other suggestions to resolve this. Thanks in advance for any help! See photos below:

The entire cutout. The two black stripes on the small strip at the back are the issue:

Here is a closeup of one side:

{{!gwi}}

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert